HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 9:00 PM

Question My first post, and an informal poll about Photovoltaic!

Hi!
My name's Andrea, I'm an italian student (architecture, of course!) here in this nice forum for the first time.

I'm very interested in photovoltaic architecture so I would like to have your own oipinion about these 2 questions:

1-What are the best buildings describing the "art" of the photovoltaic architecture?

2-If you would like to illustrate the history oh the photovoltaic technology in architecture, what are, in your opinion, the most significative buildings that can describe the evolution of this technology within architecture?

I'm waiting for your opinions!

Greetings from Italy!

andrea

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 9:58 PM
BANNED

oh Andrea, welcome, it is interesting that... though... Let's see what people here says about...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 8:58 PM

Hi, MKmillennium! Thanks for the welcome.
It seem that my questions interests nobody...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Just give us photo examples, then let'S see...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 11:02 PM

OpTIC Technium, St. Asaph, North Wales

Source

Scheidegger Building, near Bern, Switzerland.

source

University of Melbourne Building Integrated Photovoltaic System

Source

Source

Hong Kong Science Park

Source

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 2:42 AM

Location: philadelphia -umm loft district/chinatown, i don't know what its called
Cost is prohibitive...

Photovoltaic systems well in the US are sort of cost prohibitive...I have seen a few homes and buildings with the systems...such as a residential project in Philadelphia called rag flats by a architectural firm onion flats...Its seems well in Philadelphia anyway that photovoltaic systems serve a more functional purpose rather than a aesthetic one. Additionally in Philadelphia there are complications with integration into the local power grid. It is in my opinion that photovoltaic systems function best when they act as a generation station, supplying energy into the power grid and getting credited for the power supplied rather than storing the energy in a battery. Batteries as you probably know pose an environmental threat themselves and are very costly both in raw material and price. Many places that are seeking a less expensive alternative are going with solar hot water systems, where they heat water to both heat the home and create hot water for faucets...The people who usually go with photovoltaic systems in Philadelphia anyway are fairly wealthy people who have a eco friendly conscience.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 5:36 PM

There are two major hurdles with Building Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV).

First and foremost, there is cost. Unless the builder of the building in question is governmental or institutional, or a major business that isn't going anywhere for a long time, the cost of including photovoltaics cannot be recouped fast enough to make the economic decision an appropriate one. A developer, for instance, building a multi-unit condominium or mixed use building, is highly unlikely to utilize BIPV because he's looking for an immediate profit on the building by selling it off, and does not care about long-term savings on electrical bills.

Furthermore, as to the long-term gain, Photovoltaics at this point have a useful lifespan of approximately 30 years, at which point they no longer function, and have to be replaced. Depending on correct exposure to the sun, and local ordinances regarding incentives like grants and tax breaks, it is possible to gain a pay-back on your BIPV in as little as ten years, however, it is more likely that the pay-back will not be realized for more like 15-20 years. This leaves only 10-15 years for your system to generate a "profit" which is then necessarily much more of a fund toward replacing itself.

The difficulty contributing to the problem of payback is that solar panels generate electricity only when exposed to sunlight. Storage of the generated electricity is supremely costly and prohibitively inefficient at this point. There is just not a good, safe, economical way to store large amounts of electricity, literally to be distributed for a rainy day.

This is somewhat averted in some municipalities by being able to sell your extra electricity back to the grid when you are overproducing, which will allow you credits toward the times you are drawing power, however the overall life cycle costs of the application are typically break-even at the very best.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture