HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Should Portage and Main be open for pedestrian traffic?
Yes 113 92.62%
No 9 7.38%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 10:53 PM

I work near Portage and Main and did not even really realize these access points existed until this issue came up. I always go through RBC, Richardson, or the square to get across.

I know zero people who use the access points

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 10:57 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebrr View Post
I work near Portage and Main and did not even really realize these access points existed until this issue came up. I always go through RBC, Richardson, or the square to get across.

I know zero people who use the access points
I'm the opposite. I've only ever used the access points, and didn't realize you could use the office buildings until this question came up. Aside from 360 Main that is.

Unless you're familiar with those buildings, the instinct would be to use the subway-entrance things, and that's what the signs point to as well.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I'm the opposite. I've only ever used the access points, and didn't realize you could use the office buildings until this question came up. Aside from 360 Main that is.

Unless you're familiar with those buildings, the instinct would be to use the subway-entrance things, and that's what the signs point to as well.
Never even noticed/read the signs.

In a nutshell: the current format does not make sense for anyone.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Access would remain part of the cost would go towards redesigning the access points making them more visible accessible and safe.
That's good to know. Thanks for clarifying Wpg_Guy.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:48 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/4412071/f...tage-and-main/

Finally, Bellamy's social media posts make it to the media.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/4412071/f...tage-and-main/

Finally, Bellamy's social media posts make it to the media.
We should send our results of this poll to Global. I bet we get mentioned in the next story on Portage and Main.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebrr View Post
Never even noticed/read the signs.

In a nutshell: the current format does not make sense for anyone.
If people who live and work here don't even fully understand how the circus works then how on earth do so many people think it's acceptable for the visitors coming through our main business and hospitality area? It's almost like the suburbanites want our city to be embarrassing.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
If people who live and work here don't even fully understand how the circus works then how on earth do so many people think it's acceptable for the visitors coming through our main business and hospitality area? It's almost like the suburbanites want our city to be embarrassing.
No kidding, it's an effin joke!

I've lived in the East Exchange for 4 years and pass through the circus daily. I don't know how many times my gf has said to me "I always get turned around and lost down here" and she is not a directionally challenged person.

Notwithstanding that several times a week, I stop and help a lost person. When they ask the "how to get to" question, I heavy sigh and do my best to explain how to get there...and it's never a simple, "it's just around that corner".

So no matter what happens with this debacle, serious changes need to be made with access and directions in the circus and surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 3:33 PM

Ok now you’ve gone too far to get this open TVike.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/subterrane...203433934.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:05 PM

We came back from Winnipeg yesterday. Amazing city!

We at at the Exchange a couple times and we were actually quite impressed accessibility wise (and of course for the spectacular preservation of the district). We had breakfast in a basement restaurant (Clementine's) and noticed they had an elevator at the back for accessibility. We also went to a place called Kevin's and it looked like the floor had been lowered to ground level, with the basement windows now at feet level.

Portage and Main though was pretty ridiculous. I went there with a pretty solid familiarity of the situation and layout yet still got a confused at the circus level, trying to figure out where to go in order to access the Walkway System (as opposed to going up to street level). My in-laws had no idea the intersection was closed to pedestrians and would of had a lot of trouble if I had not been there.

Quick shout-out to the MTS Centre and True North Square. Pictures don't do them justice.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:13 PM

^ Glad you had a nice time! Summer long weekends tend not to be the liveliest time in the city, but hopefully there was enough going on to make for a pleasant trip.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:21 AM

As a former Winnipegger who has a friend who worked on the report, I've been following this issue closely. I normally view plebiscites like this as an abdication of leadership and I think Bowman is coward for doing so.

How are the polls looking on this? Any chance the Yes side might actually win?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:30 AM

^ Too early for municipal election polling by the media.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
As a former Winnipegger who has a friend who worked on the report, I've been following this issue closely. I normally view plebiscites like this as an abdication of leadership and I think Bowman is coward for doing so.

In Bowman’s defence the motion was going to pass with or without his vote. Not much he could have done at that stage.

Last poll I’ve heard was from summer 2016 probe online research poll. 53% closed 42% open. Open was 60% amongst 18-34

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 1:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
I wouldn’t call it our main business section anymore. That’s shifted quite a bit west now. And I’m sure more will shift yet still. We have a few half empty towers soon once they move into TNS. And the area around broadway and to TNS is a very business section of the city.

I’m for it though opening it. Don’t get me wrong. But I don’t want to see some half assed job. It MUST include the entrances to the concourse and the concourse itself. Just opening the top isn’t going to change the area. You need to do it all at the same time.

I know in Winnipeg style we will open it and forget about the concourse and then 3 years later tear all that fresh concrete up and start on the concourse rehabilitation.

Don’t forget we have winter. Talk to some older folks who braved that corner in the winter. They will tell you it was hell on earth. So the concourse still needs to be done properly and with clear signage. Proper elevators and escalators. Sky lights to make it look inviting. And above all. Around the clock security for the time being. I’m sure once more people move downtown security won’t be an issue. But for now it’s a dead zone after 5.

Also this new mall which to me seems like Portage Place all over again might just work in that spot. If they can manage staying open later that will help.

And above all. Those 4 corners need more the. Just some places to walk to the other side. Lighting needs to be a major topic. A place for the food carts in the warmer months. Even maybe a place in front of Richardson building for some live smaller concerts. That area is quite large. And opening the fronts of those buildings would be awesome.

And I’d like to see more above ground signage for advertising like PnM used to have. Make it bright and inviting. And it just might turn into a mini Times Square.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post

You're right on both counts - an abdication of leadership and him being a coward.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I wouldn’t call it our main business section anymore. That’s shifted quite a bit west now. And I’m sure more will shift yet still. We have a few half empty towers soon once they move into TNS. And the area around broadway and to TNS is a very business section of the city.

I’m for it though opening it. Don’t get me wrong. But I don’t want to see some half assed job. It MUST include the entrances to the concourse and the concourse itself. Just opening the top isn’t going to change the area. You need to do it all at the same time.

I know in Winnipeg style we will open it and forget about the concourse and then 3 years later tear all that fresh concrete up and start on the concourse rehabilitation.

Don’t forget we have winter. Talk to some older folks who braved that corner in the winter. They will tell you it was hell on earth. So the concourse still needs to be done properly and with clear signage. Proper elevators and escalators. Sky lights to make it look inviting. And above all. Around the clock security for the time being. I’m sure once more people move downtown security won’t be an issue. But for now it’s a dead zone after 5.

Also this new mall which to me seems like Portage Place all over again might just work in that spot. If they can manage staying open later that will help.

And above all. Those 4 corners need more the. Just some places to walk to the other side. Lighting needs to be a major topic. A place for the food carts in the warmer months. Even maybe a place in front of Richardson building for some live smaller concerts. That area is quite large. And opening the fronts of those buildings would be awesome.

And I’d like to see more above ground signage for advertising like PnM used to have. Make it bright and inviting. And it just might turn into a mini Times Square.
^^^^ this!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
We came back from Winnipeg yesterday. Amazing city!

We at at the Exchange a couple times and we were actually quite impressed accessibility wise (and of course for the spectacular preservation of the district). We had breakfast in a basement restaurant (Clementine's) and noticed they had an elevator at the back for accessibility. We also went to a place called Kevin's and it looked like the floor had been lowered to ground level, with the basement windows now at feet level.

Portage and Main though was pretty ridiculous. I went there with a pretty solid familiarity of the situation and layout yet still got a confused at the circus level, trying to figure out where to go in order to access the Walkway System (as opposed to going up to street level). My in-laws had no idea the intersection was closed to pedestrians and would of had a lot of trouble if I had not been there.

Quick shout-out to the MTS Centre and True North Square. Pictures don't do them justice.
Thanks for the comment-glad you enjoyed visiting!

I seriously think this comment needs to be forwarded to city council, especially those opposed to opening "P & M". The intersection doesn't stand in isolation, it's a part (and an important part) of the entire downtown redevelopment. People DO notice it, and if a visitor takes the time to mention how cumbersome the current configuration is, it may make more of an impact on reluctant councillors than comments from locals.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
In Bowman’s defence the motion was going to pass with or without his vote. Not much he could have done at that stage.

Last poll I’ve heard was from summer 2016 probe online research poll. 53% closed 42% open. Open was 60% amongst 18-34
Bowman used it to cut the legs out from under his opponent. Had he maintained his strong support for opening P&M, it still would have ended up on the ballot but it would have connected his campaign to that issue and created the golden issue his opponent needed to say "vote no to P&M and to Bowman".

Now, you can vote no without voting for the non-incumbent. Pretty wise on his part. If Council didnt like Bowman, they should have killed the P&M issue and let the Mayoral race be the defacto vote on P&M

Call me crazy but I have a feeling "Yes" has a chance...(and I thought it was overwhelming "no" initially).

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 6:16 PM

Unfortunately, people don't vote in favour of change, that has been proven again and again. The vast majority of voters who don't care about the downtown area, and in fact never go there, are likely to be in opposition. That's why polls have shown the NO side in the majority. Governing by referendum is a terrible way of governing. I'm not optimistic but obviously hope for a miracle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan