HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I think it might be the challenge of building on top of an active subway line. If I'm not mistaken, line 2 runs directly under Cumberland Terrace.
I was thinking the same thing so I just took a look and the subway runs under the block north of Cumberland Terrace.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...808357826&z=19

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 2:45 PM
I am the law!

In the early years, tenant buyout clauses weren't worth it than Kingsett bought it and their interests are to grow wealth in the fastest and cheapest way possible.

I can't say if Kingsett is still a part of the ownership group. Their go to buyer that actually develop these properties was Cresford.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 10:52 AM
video et taceo

It's very Toronto to have this dismal postwar bunker carrying the name of such a famous Georgian landmark.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 2:49 PM
I am the law!

All things considered, there's a lot in North America named after British and European landmarks. Surely situations like this, coincidential or purposeful, are more common than one would think.

American cities do have much older built environments than Toronto but, the post war growth is arguably huge compared to the turn of the 20th century industrialization. We view the junk from the Deco era differently than the junk of the Modernist era.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 4:20 PM

Weston Park Development | 172.13m | 50s | Castlepoint Numa | SvN l recommended for Approval

Two mixed-use towers (50 and 45 storeys) with more than a 1,000 residential units now recommended for approval.

UT

UT

QueenChurch | 185.9m | 57s | Tridel | Rosario Varacalli l site demolition

Site demo underway. 7 storeys taller than HPA's 88 Queen Street u/c right next door.

djb

UT

Yonge at Wellesley Station | 129.2m | 41s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle l excavation soon

The demolition of the former Catholic Children’s Aid building was completed more than 3 years ago… and the first excavator has just arrived on site. Plaza is notoriously slow.

citylights

UT

The Yonge subway runs under the parking lot in the rendering below (I think ;-).

UT

171-175 Lowther Avenue | ?m | 11s | Gabriel Fain Architects l pre-construction

An rather odd midrise proposed for the Annex nabe. The fins may be a nod to neighbouring Uno Prii-designed apartment buildings nearby.

UT

40 Walmer Road l ?m l 35s l 2114778 On Ltd l Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

Inspired architecture from TF as usual ;-). Bound to get a haircut but a new architect would be preferrable.

Northern Light

Northern Light

Just north of this 38 Walmer Road development.

UT

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:22 PM
Volatile Pacivist

^ I love the Lowther Avenue project. That is definitely my jam, assuming that the materials turn out well.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:46 PM
I am the law!

Tridel is a safe bet shoring rigs are on their way

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 9:49 PM
sick transit, gloria

Yeah the Lowther proposal looks great to me. Yonge-Wellesley on the other hand… goddamn that has to be one of the laziest podium/tower interactions for a major intersection. Also replacing a decent sized apartment as well as low-rise buildings (at least if I’m looking at the right lot)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 10:04 PM
I am the law!

No clue what was demolished.

That 9 storey PoMo Wellesley building to the north has only 15 to 20 units. I'm surprised some 500 unit beast hasn't been proposed yet to replace it

Lowther is okay. Prii towers are more elegant and, unfortunately for this tower, this is his territory. I like the podium more than the tower. Still, the podium fenstration is too random.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 12:13 PM
sick transit, gloria

My mistake - was thinking of the lot to the north. I’m sure that will go soon unfortunately! That does put the scale of the podium in a bit more context but it’s still somehow less grand than any of the neighbouring walkup apartments (which I also hope we don’t lose).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 1:38 PM
I am the law!

Won't lose is a complex answer as any redevelop will undoubtedly consider keeping the facades of the walk ups and, for some, that counts.

Then there's a proposal is just a drawing. The city is awash with proposals. 20% of them being built is optimistic and that number declines the higher the height threshold.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 2:38 PM

The Walmer proposal would look better without the staggered windows and if it was entirely brick (with wraparound brick balconies on the eastern section) to simplify the massing.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Tridel is a safe bet shoring rigs are on their way
You're correct.

Tridel's schedule says shorings and excavation for QueenChurch in January (after demo).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 5:30 PM
I am the law!

Construction appears to be progressing so darn slow city wide making predictions a crap shoot. There's 80 towers that could be completed before spring 2024. Every new one helps.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 6:59 PM

My only issue with the Lowther proposal is that we will be losing 3 really nice older homes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6682...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:48 PM

141 Roehampton | 186.3m | 58s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects l pre-construction

So after receiving pushback from the city, the proponent resubmitted… 10 storeys taller lol. Presumably some of the city’s complaints were addressed(?).

UT

UT

410 Sherbourne | ?m | 42s | Sorbara | Graziani + Corazza l recommended for Approval

This one recommended for approval 3 storeys taller.

39 storey version:

UT

1233 Queen East | 32.39m | 8s | Core Development | Studio JCI l recommended for Approval

This one will look better than the render with Studio JCI at the helm. Rentals and retail.

UT

8 Camden | ?m | 19s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A l recommended for Approval

This one recommended for approval 2 storeys taller.

UT

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:58 PM
I am the law!

Camden is one of the streets in which intensification has delivered a consistent built form. 19 storey sticks out like a sore thumb.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 3:23 PM

Perhaps I'm part of the problem for not posting on here but where did all the proposals from cities other than Toronto go?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 4:08 PM
I am the law!

new threads were started in an attempt to repair the forum issues.

Why so much Toronto? well, Toronto has a shitload of proposal and every single one is cataloged on Urbantoronto.ca. It's as simple as copying and pasting than finding an external host, uploading them and then copy and paste.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Nov 6, 2023 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 5:26 PM

The sheer number of Toronto's proposals is so overwhelming that any post from other cities gets drowned. I, for one, stopped posting proposals from Montreal because it seemed to just go unnoticed and forget as soon as it is posted. The situation is completely understandable since Toronto's proposals probably account for 90% of proposed projects in the country.

It's not a problem unless you're trying to find out about other cities' proposals, then you have to go through pages upon pages of TO projects to get a glimpse of what's going on elsewhere.

Maybe the solution, seeing that this situation will not change anytime soon, would be to actually create a dedicated thread for Toronto's proposals and another one for the rest of the country. This way, if someone is interested in finding out what goes on outside Toronto, they could do it more quickly and easily. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Nov 6, 2023 at 7:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada