HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 3:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Pallister was a mediocre Premier and I won't be sorry to see him go. His entire political raison d'etre seemed to be based on nothing more than showing people that he was the boss. He was abrasive with everything and everyone... the federal government, Winnipeg's municipal government, unions, public servants, the health care sector, Indigenous people, teachers, students, his own caucus, the opposition, you name it.

I guess if you own a seed company in Cartwright or a metal fab shop in Altona he was your guy, but for the 99% of us who don't he didn't do much for us at all. He wasn't any better than Selinger, but at least with Selinger you could say that his heart was in the right place.
Selinger was a disaster who didn't know which way was up!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Selinger was a disaster who didn't know which way was up!
Agreed... but at least he tried.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 3:37 PM

We did get what we asked for because he got elected twice. The reason was because Selinger was so bad in the end. It’s the old story of voting for the other party not necessarily because you want to but to get rid of what up isn’t working. But Pallister has been abysmal. Winnipeg has suffered greatly because of him.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
We did get what we asked for because he got elected twice. The reason was because Selinger was so bad in the end. It’s the old story of voting for the other party not necessarily because you want to but to get rid of what up isn’t working. But Pallister has been abysmal. Winnipeg has suffered greatly because of him.
It is an unfortunate aspect to provincial politics in Manitoba... let's face it, Pallister got voted in not because anyone really liked him, but because the NDP went completely off the rails. I doubt many outside of Pallister's residence even wanted him to be Premier and even that's probably debatable.

We're in a similar situation now with Kinew where few are excited about him, but he's the price to pay to get rid of the current crew. Contrast with Doer who maintained a certain level of personal popularity right to the end.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is an unfortunate aspect to provincial politics in Manitoba... let's face it, Pallister got voted in not because anyone really liked him, but because the NDP went completely off the rails. I doubt many outside of Pallister's residence even wanted him to be Premier and even that's probably debatable.

We're in a similar situation now with Kinew where few are excited about him, but he's the price to pay to get rid of the current crew. Contrast with Doer who maintained a certain level of personal popularity right to the end.
I think it was widely speculated when he was elected that Pallister had no intention of running again. I assume the timing now is to give a potential leader time enough to distance themselves from his personal unpopularity. Two years is a long time in politics, things can change quickly. Not sure there are any decent candidates for the PCs though.

Kinew was a misstep by the NDP in my opinion. Hard to get away from his past. If they wanted an indigenous leader I think Fontaine might have been a better choice. I know she had considered pursuing it at one point. We'll see how it plays out.

FWIW I have emailed MLAs in the past with no response from mine but a quick and thoughtful reply from Kinew.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 6:15 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
New Manitoba Indigenous minister says residential school system believed 'they were doing the right thing

I can't even believe this. This is who Pallister selects as the new Indigenous minister. Absolutely vile commentary.
The Truth and Reconcilliation report echoed this. Murray Sinclair has spoken extensively about it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 8:33 PM

Now that it has been confirmed that the Unfriendly Giant will be stepping down, I wonder who are some of the potential candidates?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 10:26 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I think it was widely speculated when he was elected that Pallister had no intention of running again. I assume the timing now is to give a potential leader time enough to distance themselves from his personal unpopularity. Two years is a long time in politics, things can change quickly. Not sure there are any decent candidates for the PCs though.

Kinew was a misstep by the NDP in my opinion. Hard to get away from his past. If they wanted an indigenous leader I think Fontaine might have been a better choice. I know she had considered pursuing it at one point. We'll see how it plays out.

FWIW I have emailed MLAs in the past with no response from mine but a quick and thoughtful reply from Kinew.
The stain on Kinew is that strong, eh?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
The stain on Kinew is that strong, eh?
It's really telling that Doug Ford was a full-blown drug dealer for years and that didn't disqualify him from being Premier, but Wab threw a few punches when he was younger and will never get to live that down. It's even more telling that the people who care so much about Wab's past are by and large the same people who have spent decades telling indigenous folks "It's in the past, get over it, move on."

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 4:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
It's really telling that Doug Ford was a full-blown drug dealer for years and that didn't disqualify him from being Premier, but Wab threw a few punches when he was younger and will never get to live that down. It's even more telling that the people who care so much about Wab's past are by and large the same people who have spent decades telling indigenous folks "It's in the past, get over it, move on."
Threw a few punches and some at a girlfriend, called a taxi driver who was a visible minority a racist name and more, refused to pay cab fares but yeah just a great guy!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 4:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The left is always held to a higher standard than others. It doesn’t matter if it’s coming from outside the left or from within, unless you are perfect, you are not taken serious. Values and track record are completely thrown out the window and there’s no chance to progress as a person. This is another example of “cancel culture” and it needs to stop.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Threw a few punches and some at a girlfriend, called a taxi driver who was a visible minority a racist name and more, refused to pay cab fares but yeah just a great guy!
lol it's hilarious how you selectively pretend to care about racism. I would bet my house you've used a racial slur before.

People change. ex https://www.cbc.ca/radio/nowornever/...life-1.5791122
It's unfortunate that you're so petty and small-minded you would hold a couple of mistakes against a guy for his entire life. Although I'm pretty sure that's only because he's brown.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 8:36 PM
BANNED

The funny thing, if people's values actually matched their political stripes, a progressive person would naturally want to continually improve themselves, as they want for society, while a conservative person, by definition, doesn't think change is necessary. That's what conservative means. I'm pretty left so I'm obviously bias, but I would trust someone on the left to want to change for the better much more than someone on the right, just by analyzing their present values and character. People in the center (where most liberals are), however, are even more untrustworthy than someone on the right when it comes to this, imho, and are more concerned with image than substance. (people are obviously more complex than fitting into three distinct camps but I believe the aforementioned is generally accurate)

Last edited by djforsberg; Aug 12, 2021 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The funny thing, if people's values actually matched their political stripes, a progressive person would naturally want to continually improve themselves, as they want for society, while a conservative person, by definition, doesn't think change is necessary. That's what conservative means. I'm pretty left so I'm obviously bias, but I would trust someone on the left to want to change for the better much more than someone on the right, just by analyzing their present values and character. People in the center (where most liberals are), however, are even more untrustworthy than someone on the right when it comes to this, imho, and are more concerned with image than substance. (people are obviously more complex than fitting into three distinct camps but I believe the aforementioned is generally accurate)
This is all in all hilarious, the conservatives tried to change the corrupt educational system here…. Who are the ones that don’t want change??? Lol.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 1:31 PM

Quote:
lol it's hilarious how you selectively pretend to care about racism. I would bet my house you've used a racial slur before.

People change. ex https://www.cbc.ca/radio/nowornever/...life-1.5791122
It's unfortunate that you're so petty and small-minded you would hold a couple of mistakes against a guy for his entire life. Although I'm pretty sure that's only because he's brown.
It’s funny that you pretend to care about social issues, then go and vote for someone who completely stands against all of them. He assaulted a cab driver and stole from him, he stole a vehicle and led police on a high speed chase through the city that ended in a crash. How many people could have been hurt with that little outburst? He was removed from a community in northwestern Ontario for causing shit and assaulting people, he abused his spouse, he assaulted numerous other people, made homophobic comments and mysoginistic comments on Twitter. Had a pathetic rap career where talks about sexually assaulting bitches and hos…. But even that is t the worst of it. I used to have a lot of respect for the ass, but The worst was him working for the cbc. Going on the air and telling Canadians how awful and racist they were for neglecting the children of attawapiskat. Then he goes and tweets this. “Riding in my limo back to my king size sweet feeling really sorry for those kids in attawapiskat. #haha #terrible #inative#. When gay people called out his shit, he told them he already apologized and if the wanted to read it they could buy his book. The guys a narcissistic asshole who will say and do anything to get what he wants. I feel sorry for people that believe him. But then again most narcissists are very charming.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2021, 2:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
This is all in all hilarious, the conservatives tried to change the corrupt educational system here…. Who are the ones that don’t want change??? Lol.
I obviously meant change in the progressive sense. I don't know much about the changes you are speaking of but I'm guessing they were in the regressive sense, to make them more "efficient" and less costly, or rolling it back to some traditional way of doing things, while not actually improving the outcomes.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 5:12 PM

From today's CTV news website:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/masks-to...kers-1.5558988

Personally I was glad ro see this. IMO it's going to be necessary to try to blunt the 4th wave, which is currently hitting Alberta and Saskatchewan. Being a cynic, however, i wonder if this decision was possible because Pallister no longer has to worry about pleasing his political base, a sizeable chance of which is the rural anti-mask/anti-vaxx set? Make me wonder what all politicians could accomplish if they didn't spend 99% of their time worrying about what their political base thinks of their decisions?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Make me wonder what all politicians could accomplish if they didn't spend 99% of their time worrying about what their political base thinks of their decisions?
Politicians worrying about what the electorate thinks is democracy. What you want for good policy, though, is for the die-hard political bases to be relatively small, with a large pool of persuadable voters that will be lured by good ideas to one party or another.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Politicians worrying about what the electorate thinks is democracy. What you want for good policy, though, is for the die-hard political bases to be relatively small, with a large pool of persuadable voters that will be lured by good ideas to one party or another.
The electorate overall, yes, but IMO a political "base" is a smaller segment of the electorate who can sometime have an agenda that runs against the overall good of the electorate at large.

IMO this is the classic conundrum of a democracy. Does a politician enact the policies of the electorate no matter what, or do they try to judge the overall benefits to the community at large and be willing to enact "unpopular" policies? I guess I tend to lean towards the latter.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 10:17 PM

Not provincial, but still interesting regarding the province and Winnipeg.

This tweet/map shows the latest seat projections for the federal elections:

https://twitter.com/CanadaMaps/statu...355330/photo/1

Hopefully the conservatives are kept mostly out of Winnipeg. It's a little embarrassing when even the City goes blue. I don't want us to end up like our neighbours to the West.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan