HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:12 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Thanks Wolfman. I like to see what's going on in the smaller cities represented on SSP.

Good to see Sioux Falls still getting it done. I hope to get out that way some day.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
^ Thanks Wolfman. I like to see what's going on in the smaller cities represented on SSP.

Good to see Sioux Falls still getting it done. I hope to get out that way some day.
Unfortunately the private partner pulled out of the mixed use parking ramp project because changes to the design drastically increased the cost of the project. Last I heard the city's looking for new partner or just a scaled down version.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:13 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmanfromsufu View Post
Unfortunately the private partner pulled out of the mixed use parking ramp project because changes to the design drastically increased the cost of the project. Last I heard the city's looking for new partner or just a scaled down version.
That's a shame. Hopefully another group will step in and that project gets going.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:28 AM

I understand the boosterism here, but Sioux Falls has to address some things before it starts considering itself as a "major" city. We moved our annual convention out of Sioux Falls For several factors. We had several negative experiences in the last years that we convened in Sioux Falls. While people were walking downtown they were harassed as "faggots" yet they are heterosexual. Others had tires slashed on their vehicles at the hotel, and two others received red light camera violations even though they stopped at the red light. I personally had an entire community in SD ostracize me for talking to Native American children. That combined with the extreme legislative efforts against women, people of color, gays, we came to the conclusion to move our organization away from a place where we had experienced such hostility and backwardness.

We moved our convention to Madison. We weren't sure if we wanted it in that big of a city, however, it embraces diversity, has so many more venues, and is beautiful. In looking at the title of this thread, I did some research. In my lifetime Madison (CMSA) metro has grown from 222,000 to 876,000, or by a factor of 4. Sioux Falls metro has grown from 86,000 to 251,000, or by a factor of 2.9. So what city is the fastest growing? I guess it's about how one defines growth. I hope that Sioux Falls and South Dakota can become more welcoming and urbane with the influx of new people.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 5:36 PM

The newest idea for the mixed use parking ramp has been announced and I hope this is built. http://www.keloland.com/news/article...wn-sioux-falls
The public ramp will be part of a 13 story building that will include a hotel and retail or office space. The city's share is $20.6m Some people are complaining that the city's share is too high. This will be the first high rise built in a long time and a great addition to the skyline if completed.

Iowan, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the city. That's not the normal way things are in the city. I've personally found it to be very diverse and accepting. You didn't mention how long ago you last held your conference here, but the red light cameras have been gone for years.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 4:08 AM
BANNED

What happened to the Fargo thread???

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest