HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 12:54 PM

Sunday:

Today:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 8:43 PM

QUOTE=John "If more people move to Philadelphia and the city continues to be vibrant which we want; then the congestion will come and I'm not sure if we have a way to really address it."

It's an inevitable, the population will increase. The city from what I understand is built for at least 2.5 million. I've been saying this for years. There's only one way to accommodate increased population, is to increase and create new heavy rail ex. subways, elevated lines. and light rail, such as restoring some of the old trolley lines. We should not add anymore internal combustion engines in increased bus lines. Yes, we can add hybrid and all electric busses, however people like rail, it's safer, quicker and more efficient but drastically more expensive.

Septa repeats that they cannot afford it, however if new subway and elevated lines can be justified (which I believe, of course it can) Philadelphia can afford it. We just borrow the money like any other means of financing a major project like this. Hmm...I can see it now...Lowering those huge tunnel boring machines (TBM's) into the ground now, heading up and down Roosevelt Blvd.. at least 4 lines with express trains in the middle. It can pay for itself.

Last edited by Inquizative; Nov 9, 2020 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquizative View Post
QUOTE=John "If more people move to Philadelphia and the city continues to be vibrant which we want; then the congestion will come and I'm not sure if we have a way to really address it."

I've been saying this for years. There's only one way to accommodate increased population. That is to increase and add heavy rail ex. subways, elevated lines. and light rail, such as restoring some of the old trolley lines. Not add anymore internal combustion engines in increased bus lines.

Septa repeats that they cannot afford it, however if new subway and elevated lines can be justified (which I believe, of course it can) Philadelphia can afford it. We just borrow the money like any other means of financing a major project like this. Hmm...I can see it now...Lowering those huge tunnel boring machines (TBM's) into the ground now, heading up and down Roosevelt Blvd..
Finally. Someone else speaking my language!

Philadelphia's subway network is incomplete at best, and insufficient at worst. We're a city of 1.7 million(ish) and we have 2.5 subway lines. Boston, a city < 1 million people, has more heavy rail than Philly.

This isn't even mentioning that Philly has characteristically narrow streets, so running light rail through Center City isn't really feasible.

While the Arthaus is well served by the Broad Street Line (and to a lesser extent PATCO), where one can go once they're on said subway is incredibly limited.

In the immediate term, Philly needs a subway up the Parkway and then north into the Northwest. That is the biggest gap I see. Once we have established service to the Art Museum and points northwest, we can start talking about cross-town subways.

This map, while incredibly pie-in-the sky, shows what Philadelphia could be with time and money. After all, one of the benefits of living somewhere like the Arthaus is its accessibility to the city, and if we're going to continue to populate our downtown, we're going to need more transit.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 9:39 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Finally. Someone else speaking my language!

Philadelphia's subway network is incomplete at best, and insufficient at worst. We're a city of 1.7 million(ish) and we have 2.5 subway lines. Boston, a city < 1 million people, has more heavy rail than Philly.

This isn't even mentioning that Philly has characteristically narrow streets, so running light rail through Center City isn't really feasible.

While the Arthaus is well served by the Broad Street Line (and to a lesser extent PATCO), where one can go once they're on said subway is incredibly limited.

In the immediate term, Philly needs a subway up the Parkway and then north into the Northwest. That is the biggest gap I see. Once we have established service to the Art Museum and points northwest, we can start talking about cross-town subways.

This map, while incredibly pie-in-the sky, shows what Philadelphia could be with time and money. After all, one of the benefits of living somewhere like the Arthaus is its accessibility to the city, and if we're going to continue to populate our downtown, we're going to need more transit.
love the subway map. i've seen several versions of it, and as pie in the sky as they are, it's fun to think of what might have been.
we are probably veering off topic here, and more into something more suited for the transportation thread, but the key to success for any subway system is connectivity to other lines. if you just have one line, say under broad street, then the only people who will use it are those who have to be on or near broad street. but the more lines you add, the number of users grows exponentially, not linearly. so if there were only one line, the broad street line, that might have 1,000 users. also, if you had only one line, but under market street, that might also get 1,000 users. but put them together, you might have 10,000 users, not just 2,000. then you add 3 more lines that connect with each other somehow, you might get 50,000 users. I'm making those numbers up, but you understand the concept.
it would be even better if subways could be built and run privately, which is to say for profit. they would be much better run. but it never seems to be possible.
it's also galling that austin, tx, is building a $10 billion subway and light rail system. for that much money we could at least extend the BSL to the navy yard, build the northeast line, and possibly even the center city loop. but again, septa is too poor and too inept.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 2:42 PM
i heart philly

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:53 PM

When we speak of skyscrapers in a city like Philadelphia the automatic topic to arise from it is congestion; this is an attempt to keep the topic on track with skyscrapers; such cases are especially true in cities with small streets and at some point Philadelphia will have to deal with this issue and its not a new challenge; Paris and London have historically dealt with congestion especially before skyscrapers became as prevalent as the are now. Fortunately we shouldn't need to demolish huge areas of the city to enhance our mass transit and many subway lines were never completed but were started and spurs were already built in; especially along the Broad Street Line and Arch Street Subway Tunnel.

The biggest issue with Philadelphia in any case of development seems to be twofold; a lack of capital and the length it takes to build things which can stretch projects so far out that the event of world history make certain projects hard to complete; a case in point is the Free Library and old Family Court Buildings; both were begun before World War I and weren't complete until World War II largely because they took so long to build that the Depression affected them; the same thing happened to our Subways however they were never revived with funding via Federal, State or Regional dollars.

Going strictly off of memory I do remember plans for a Delaware Water Front Light Rail; the Cultural Corridor (which should probably have a spur north along 29st Street and up Henry Avenue but nobody seems to connect the two); the Broad Street Extension to the Naval Yard and up the Roosevelt Boulevard which really should be a separate line because one spur will like to the Broad Street Line and one will link to the Frankford Line as bridge and Pratt but from what I remember its not really deems a separate subway line though it in face it; and lastly there was an extension to the 36 Trolley that could spur development outside the International Airport. Sadly a Ridge Avenue Subway isn't mentions but probably should be.

Getting back to skyscrapers for Philadelphia the issues of congestion come with world class cities; and there are many ways that tie skyscrapers and congest all together. There are four things I think Philadelphia needs: First the will to build below ground as well as above ground. Second capital. Third is a broader metropolian and cosmopolitan concept of what Philadelphia is; why not combine the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission; with Delaware State and South Jersey. Fourth if these subways lives above are built we will have one on Arch Street; the Parkway in use and the Ridge Avenue and Board Street lines increased in short order

How does this affect skyscrapers; skyscrapers are the topic are they not? It can add to skyscraper development near the Convention Center; Chinatown; Market East, Franklin Town to the north of the Parkway; as well as north and south of along Broad Street and the Parkway will literally sit between Schuylkill Yards and an enhanced Franklin Town. Of course I'm talking 30 to 40 years out if it starts in the next 10 years and at my age well I'll be older than old but the future will be able to really enjoy the benefits of an incredible city; incredible.

Philadelphia has something many cities don't; even larger city; we have possibilities.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 9:40 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
We have a unique designation: World Heritage City.

We need public and private investments to continue to make the city better for everyone. We need creative and transformative ideas from individuals and groups. We need to provide the optimal climate to keep residents and businesses and continue to grow them organically or receive them as transplants.

The potential is here and we have lots of land mass to build more buildings. And we have the benefit of the surrounding suburbs that come in to work or for play to support Philly and vice versa.

Philly is a diamond in the ruff.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 12:04 AM

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 3:42 AM
Philly Pholly

My God I love seeing the scale of this thing

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
My God I love seeing the scale of this thing
Isn't it stupendous? Center City is slowly creeping down South Broad...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Isn't it stupendous? Center City is slowly creeping down South Broad...
Just wait until 500 S Broad, 337 S Broad, and 1001 S Broad are all completed! Are there any other lots that could accommodate a skyscraper or highrise north of Washington?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 1:00 PM

I believe we only have one fully complete, residential only buildings that is over 500 ft (RATR). Crazy that we are adding 3 more at the same time (W, Laurel, Arthaus).

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I believe we only have one fully complete, residential only buildings that is over 500 ft (RATR). Crazy that we are adding 3 more at the same time (W, Laurel, Arthaus).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain hotels, like the W, are non-residential. Either way great to see it.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain hotels, like the W, are non-residential. Either way great to see it.
You're correct in a strict sense, they are not residential in that no one lives there permanently. But in terms of architectural design, hotels are much more similar to residential apartments than office buildings - they have smaller floor plates, lower floor to floor heights, etc.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 5:19 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
And likely another one near 19th and Sansom.

Pearl is planning a 567' tower on top of historic rowhomes across from their Boyd project. Pearl usually means business, so I see this moving forward over the next year.

I do like see these towers stretch South on Broad though (like Arthaus).

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 6:05 PM

From the Walt Whitman Bridge

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
Just wait until 500 S Broad, 337 S Broad, and 1001 S Broad are all completed! Are there any other lots that could accommodate a skyscraper or highrise north of Washington?
417 S Broad

501 S Broad

615 S Broad

700 S Broad

Pretty much the whole east side of the 700 block

Both sides of the 800 block

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 6:45 PM

Arthaus by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 1:31 PM

6 days ago - work on the 37th floor started:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHS-_tJjw3H/

3 days ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHeFQUMgllq/

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 9:38 PM
Philly Pholly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive