HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The missing link on the south branch of the skywalk is the empty lot to the west of the Convention Center where Lakeview has their on/off again development (hotel /condo /office tower / ??? ) going up on.
Yeah, it would be nice to see the loop finally completed by getting that final gap filled in. Who knows if/when Lakeview will ever develop that site, though... there has been so much built downtown over the past decade but the stars still haven't aligned for Lakeview

I'm a little surprised that the south RBCCC expansion didn't include a skywalk connection to 363 Broadway. Given how bankable a skywalk connection is for commercial buildings, you'd think the landlord there would have wanted one. It would have brought the system right down to Broadway too.

I guess the only significant expansion coming down the pike besides TNS is SkyCity, although it will probably be just a small spur... I doubt there will be any connection to the Radisson to create a new path for through traffic.

I wonder if the new Richardson development near Westbrook will include a skywalk connection?

OK, that's all for my off-topic meanderings on this subject.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
This should be changed to U/C .

I have to say that this downtown project should set the benchmark for other downtown projects in Winnipeg.

Not only is this project hopefully going to shoot some life into downtown Winnipeg but it is a project that will connect its residents all year round. The skywalk addition to the project was tremendously wise as it is going to give these residents a comfortable alternative to major shopping centres like the Bay and Portage place all year round.

If other downtown projects took advantage of the skywalk system, our downtown would be much more walkable in a different sense. And it would make driving less of a necessity.

It would require the new commercial and future residential rents to set new benchmarks.

If office rent stays below $25, or even $30 psf, we won't achieve projects of similar calibre (even if smaller in scale). Similarly, apartment rents and condo prices need to be high enough, and STAY high enough once this things done. If so, and demand doesn't slip away, then downtown Winnipeg can hope for not only new projects, but GOOD projects.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 10:35 PM
surely you agree with me

Speaking of skywalks. The connection from true north Square to the hotel appears to be missing on those latest renderings.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 12:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

when it rises out of the pit is when its conciderd under construction according to the site guidelines cause it could still get scraped. calgary is a good example of this.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 11:29 AM

^ This is the way I've classified it on updates and will continue to do so. There's various opinions on this topic but we'll leave it with the way SSP does/has been doing it. There's a few threads/or posts on the topic and it seems to come up quite regularly. As mentioned we're going with above grade = U/C even if opinions differ. Thx

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 6:22 AM

The new augmented larger True North Square It was supposed to be announced in early autumn and winter is soon upon us.
I wonder if anyone out there knows what might be announced and when.
The only thing I have seen is that St. Mary's church might do a couple of buildings on their property which would being right there would definitely bring density.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Speaking of skywalks. The connection from true north Square to the hotel appears to be missing on those latest renderings.
I think it's because we have heard nothing on the hotel portion at all. I'm betting they're struggling to figure that one out. Hopefully it goes ahead.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 4:02 PM

Wasnt the entire reason TN got the deal on the TNS property was because it guaranteed a quality hotel at the convention centre site? And now...it seems all but back-burnered as two separate projects...?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 4:06 PM

Something like that. Now TN has nothing to do with the hotel site. They don't even own the land anymore, from what we've heard.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
The new augmented larger True North Square It was supposed to be announced in early autumn and winter is soon upon us.
I wonder if anyone out there knows what might be announced and when.
Interestingly Save On Foods was talking to Winnipeg media as their three stores open this weekend and commented about two possible sites downtown. Now if you saw one is SkyCity it seems to hint True North Square could be the other one.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 6:04 PM

^ It would be crazy to have two locations of the same grocery chain just a few blocks apart downtown (Skycity and TNS)... I know they say never say never, but it's hard to resist saying that would never happen.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 8:06 PM

^^ I still see Wpg Sq. as a better option for a grocer than SkyCity - still connected to the walkway, but slightly closer to all the development in the Exchange.

A Save On (or any grocer) would fit nicely on the 2nd floor podium of the 300 Main St. apartment. And without a doubt that is going to rise in the spring vs. the unknown of SkyCity.

Plus my personal bias of wanting a grocer as close to the Exchange as possible..

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 8:42 PM

I think the two sites comment could either be: Save On Foods is looking at two sites and will pick one or Save On Foods will open in say SkyCity and the Bay basement covering off both sides of downtown. I know there were lost of people from the western edge of downtown that felt very strongly about the loss of the groceries in the Bay basement and clearly the Exchange area is also under severed. Having at least one downtown location could also be a good way for Save On Foods to get their brand exposed to a lot more people than its first three stores.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Interestingly Save On Foods was talking to Winnipeg media as their three stores open this weekend and commented about two possible sites downtown. Now if you saw one is SkyCity it seems to hint True North Square could be the other one.
and 300 Main, because below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
^^ I still see Wpg Sq. as a better option for a grocer than SkyCity - still connected to the walkway, but slightly closer to all the development in the Exchange.

A Save On (or any grocer) would fit nicely on the 2nd floor podium of the 300 Main St. apartment. And without a doubt that is going to rise in the spring vs. the unknown of SkyCity.
Plus infinitely more parking an connectivity to not just residents but workers from all surrounding towers. Highest business density is a real plus.

It would go in between the tower in all likelihood. That's the best space. Artis has mentioned intent for a grocer or hotel (or both? In a perfect world) a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think the two sites comment could either be: Save On Foods is looking at two sites and will pick one or Save On Foods will open in say SkyCity and the Bay basement covering off both sides of downtown. I know there were lost of people from the western edge of downtown that felt very strongly about the loss of the groceries in the Bay basement and clearly the Exchange area is also under severed. Having at least one downtown location could also be a good way for Save On Foods to get their brand exposed to a lot more people than its first three stores.
I can't fathom why they'd want to be in the bay... the best future residential is all east of that, and so is the highest office traffic. SkyCity would be a good location, but that still has to go ahead.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 6:25 AM

CBC Manitoba is reporting late Wednesday evening that the PC Government is not happy with the lease terms for the new Liquor Mart in TNS.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...town-1.3854494

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 6:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
CBC Manitoba is reporting late Wednesday evening that the PC Government is not happy with the lease terms for the new Liquor Mart in TNS.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...town-1.3854494
Why would they be or who in their right mind would be;

- 50,000 square-foot flagship Liquor Mart at True North Square would be the largest liquor store in Canada (and the liquor store with the worst location in Canada)

- lease offer that signed without any market analysis

-probably would never turn a profit at the location based on the lease

-up to $9-million worth of tenant improvement costs

-CEO of the Crown corporation Peter Hak doubts sales would make the location viable

-thanks speNDP for signing a lease that the MLLCC can't get out of, great job!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 1:58 PM

^ Almost 5 times as large as the Grant Park Liquor Mart... as absurd as that sounds, I wonder what MLLC had planned for that space? Surely it couldn't have been all for regular inventory given that MLLC just doesn't have enough variety to fill that much shelf space, unless they were literally planning to have 4,000 bottles of Crown Royal on the shelf at once. I'd like to hear MLLC's side of the story.

If MLLC tries to sublease the space or use it as office space instead, what will it mean for TNS? So many head-scratchers on this one.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 2:21 PM
Heart of the Continent

I always wondered about the economics that went into that decision....

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 3:44 PM

They never revealed details of what they planned beyond that it would be their flagship store, that they would bring in partners and have unique products and services not offered elsewhere. I suspect closing the Cityplace store is part of the deal.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I always wondered about the economics that went into that decision....
Neither did ththe previous NDP regime, but of course they never worried about a deficit, debt financing or anything else for that matter!

Even NDP proponents beginning to see how inept the previous govt. really was and how much it hurt Manitoba financially for a very long time until someone else cleans up the mess they left behind!

If anyone travels to G.F or Fargo and shops for booze at Happy Harry's well their stores average 16000 sq. ft. and are all larger than current MLLCC stores in Manitoba, so imagine a downtown liquor store 3X larger than a Happy Harry's outlet at True North Square. And some wonder why MLLCC CEO Stinson was let go so fast!?!

Last edited by rrskylar; Nov 17, 2016 at 4:31 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan