HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 9:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | (Staten Island) New York Wheel | 625 FT

EDIT *** Renderings released September 27, 2012

With the announcement, the City released these renderings of the NY Wheel and the outlet center...

nycmayorsoffice

There will also be a rooftop park at the New York Wheel...

The outlet center will have rooftop park space as well...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...434946074.html

Ferris Wheel Eyed for Ferry Terminal

By ELIOT BROWN
June 25, 2012

Quote:
Tourists taking in the sites of New York Harbor on the Staten Island ferry may get a new reason to board the boat. The Bloomberg administration is in advanced talks with an investment group seeking to build a giant Ferris wheel akin to the London Eye near the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, according to multiple people briefed on the details of the proposal.

The plan for the structure would make it the tallest "observation wheel" in the world, lifting visitors roughly 600 feet, the people said. By comparison, the London Eye, the popular 12-year-old tourist attraction on the South Bank near Parliament, is 443 feet tall, while Deno's Wonder Wheel at Coney Island stands 150 feet high.

Each year, the London site attracts about 3.5 million visitors who sit in large, glass-enclosed pods that offer panoramic views of London. The investor group, Plaza Capital Group Management, responded to an August 2011 request for bids from New York City's Economic Development Corp. to develop two parking lots next to the terminal and on both sides of the Staten Island Yankees stadium. Plaza plans to develop the site furthest from the ferry terminal to the northwest, the people briefed on the proposal said. Still, no deal has been reached, and a spokesman for the EDC, Benjamin Branham, said that the agency is "in negotiations with multiple respondents" for the two sites. Any development would need approval from the City Council.

While further details about the proposal weren't available, Plaza appears to be trying to tap into the stream of tourists who ride the ferry from Lower Manhattan to Staten Island every day for a free harbor ride that offers views of the Statue of Liberty and the Lower Manhattan skyline. But once they land, they find little reason to stay.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 9:41 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ficials_o.html

Staten Island officials on board for the Ferris wheel ride

June 26, 2012
By Jillian Jorgensen

Quote:
The plan for a giant Ferris wheel on city-owned property on the North Shore would require City Council approval -- and at least two of the borough's councilmembers are enthusiastic about the project. "My initial reaction is that this project is unique and quirky enough to actually get people off the ferry and to Staten Island," Councilman James Oddo (R-Mid-Island) said.

For years, Oddo said, people have been asking how to get the 2 million tourists who ride the ferry annually to spend some time in the borough, instead of just turning right back for Manhattan.

"I guess the word is funny, that after all the thinking and all the 'how do we do it?', a Ferris wheel is the answer," Oddo said. He said in addition to luring tourists -- especially those from Europe, who typically spend a good deal of money during their trips to the Big Apple -- the wheel could become Staten Island's answer to the Cyclone in Coney Island. "I think it's got a chance to really become iconic," Oddo said.

http://www.silive.com/northshore/ind...est_ferri.html

Quote:
The two sites are currently used as parking lots for the Richmond County Bank Ballpark at St. George, and the St. George Ferry Terminal. But baseball lovers and ferry commuters, fear not: The RFEI calls for all publicly available parking to be replaced during the development, and for new parking to be added, if necessary.

The parcel where the Ferris wheel is being considered is located between the Postcards Memorial and Jersey Street. The other parcel put out for an RFEI, is closer to the ferry terminal, located between it and the ballpark. For that site, upscale shopping outlets have been proposed by another company, and would be built on a platform above a parking lot, according to the source. The towering wheel proposed for the waterfront would be designed in the same vein as giants like the London Eye, 443 feet tall, and the Singapore Flyer, which is the tallest at 541 feet. Both are very popular tourist attractions.

The London Eye (or the EDF Energy London Eye, as it’s currently named for a corporate sponsor) is located on the banks of the Thames River, and boasts 32 air-conditioned passenger capsules, each of which can carry 25 people. A trip around the wheel takes about 30 minutes, and the wheel doesn’t stop — riders step into the gondolas as they move, like a ski lift. Capsules are available to rent for private parties — including a wedding package that allows the bride, groom and 19 guests to take two consecutive rides and pop a bottle of champagne on the way down. Standard adult tickets are 15 pounds sterling (around $23). If you want to skip the lines — and aren’t sure what day you want to visit — a priority boarding flexible ticket costs 31.50 pounds (approximately $49). Those who want a longer ride and a drink can opt for the 40 Pound Vinopolis Wine Tasting Experience ($62) — an hourlong ride that features five wine tastings.

The Singapore Flyer takes the gourmet Ferris wheel experience even further, offering full butler sky dining for $299 a couple — that pays for two rotations, or about an hourlong ride; and four courses of food with dessert, coffee and tea served in the capsule. The current menu offers a chicken, fish, lamb and vegetarian option for the main courses, and an Oreo cheesecake for dessert. Wine pairings cost extra.

Both of those wheels attract millions of tourists annually — the London Eye carries 3.5 million visitors a year. The wheel here could have a built-in audience: The Staten Island Ferry carries 2 million tourists annually, most of whom get back on the boat without spending any time in the borough.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 11:32 PM

This actually sounds pretty cool.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I was thinking more of a lighthouse for Staten Island as its signature landmark with a Ferris Wheel in Coney Island to be one of Brooklyn's symbols. But this is good too. They should make this the tallest ferris wheel in the world to bring back the title to the country this invention originated from.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:41 AM
Everywhere all at once

I saw the article for this on silive last night and I basically was all

The reason I love this idea...aside from every reason why I'd love for my home borough to steal some of the spotlight off the other four boroughs...is that few people realize the dynamic setting of St. George (the neighborhood around the ferry terminal). The view is quite amazing from the ground...let alone from 600 feet in the air...and it's very sweeping. You can see all the way from Bayonne to Coney Island, absolutely everything fronting New York Harbor, and there is a great promenade that invites strolling and taking in the view. It's greatest lack is substantial retail and restaurants that people can recreate within after they stroll the neighborhood.

In addition, St. George is on very hilly terrain, pecked all over with beautiful old mansions and San Franciscan streetscapes (two of Staten Island's three historic districts are within 20 minutes of the terminal). This from the air would also be an unprecedented view. It is the sort of setting that would frame the wheel itself beautifully, and provide stunning views 360 degrees around.

My fingers are crossed.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
In addition, St. George is on very hilly terrain, pecked all over with beautiful old mansions and San Franciscan streetscapes (two of Staten Island's three historic districts are within 20 minutes of the terminal). This from the air would also be an unprecedented view. It is the sort of setting that would frame the wheel itself beautifully, and provide stunning views 360 degrees around.

My fingers are crossed.
The ferris wheel idea is a great one but I seriously think you're pushing it. Pecked all over with beautiful old mansions? San Franciscan streetscapes? I just don't see it. Most of what I saw last time I was in St. George was run down, crappy looking buildings with hardly any architectural significance. Theres room for development, that's the good part. This can be the start of something good for "downtown".

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 4:17 AM
New Yorker for life

The proposed site for this project would be the lot west of the stadium (north lot)...

http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/08/1...rant-downtown/

The landscape in general does change in Staten Island....

Betty Blade

Louis de Feo

But I'm sure the views over the harbor would be great.

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 5:59 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
The ferris wheel idea is a great one but I seriously think you're pushing it. Pecked all over with beautiful old mansions? San Franciscan streetscapes? I just don't see it. Most of what I saw last time I was in St. George was run down, crappy looking buildings with hardly any architectural significance. Theres room for development, that's the good part. This can be the start of something good for "downtown".
The core of St. George is very banal and governmental, this I grant you. It's the neighborhoods just beyond that I'm talking about...Stapleton Heights, Van Duzer Street and St. Pauls Avenue, Fort Hill, Westervelt Avenue and New Brighton, Henderson Avenue...I've been all over this island so many times, I promise they're there, just hidden. Gives a new meaning to the term "hidden gems" ...the problem with many of those areas now is that they are still somewhat poverty stricken, like Brownstone Brooklyn before it was discovered by the hipsters and yuppies.

What is great about the whole of greater Downtown SI, as you said, is that this exceptional old housing stock surrounds the somewhat barren core, which is ripe for development (and was recently rezoned for taller, thin residential and mixed-used towers by the way). There's an opportunity for a great and unique mix of land uses and cityscapes that will create a district unlike any other in New York. Maybe it sounds like I'm overselling it, but needless to say, I've been waiting to SI to get its moment in the spotlight for a while.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 3:57 PM

This may be off topic a bit but why does it look like one part of the area has been under construction for a while?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 10:30 PM
New Yorker for life

I hope they build it for the views alone...

czelticgirl

NYC Comets

InSapphoWeTrust

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 11:38 PM
World Machine

Very cool idea - great for Staten Island!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 9:06 PM

Wouldn't building a bunch of skyscrapers around the wheel block the view?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 8:49 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i just walked thru there the other day. yeah its too small a patch for much else.

a big ferris wheel is very trendy, but still a nice idea. i even think the placement is just fine. its just not going to get london eye business being over there in staten island. otoh no doubt less crowds would be just fine for wheel riders.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:22 AM
New Yorker for life

I think it will do just fine, and surprise a lot of doubters.

http://www.silive.com/opinion/editor...ould_turn.html

The New York Wheel would turn Staten Island into a world-class destination

July 20, 2012

Quote:
If we build it, they will come. The 600-foot-tall New York Wheel, with magnificent views from on high, could turn Staten Island into a world-class tourist destination, which is why many Staten Islanders support the concept. The revolving observation platform being proposed for the waterfront near the Staten Island Ferry is to be a towering spectacle like nothing else in America. It goes above and beyond ordinary Ferris wheels. It would be no mere carnival ride, as some mistakenly envision it.

Featuring glass-enclosed capsules that can hold up to 35 people, the giant New York Wheel is intended to be a harborside showcase - not an amusement park attraction.

What’s being proposed by private developers would be a “fabulous magnet” for people to come to Staten Island, according to Mitchell Moss, a professor of urban policy and planning at New York University’s Graduate School of Public Service. He said: “It’s going to be one of the city’s great tourist attractions because it will combine the ferry ride with an activity, and since the ferry to Staten Island is much more accessible than the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, it’s going to supersede the Statue of Liberty as a magnet for visitors.” Known worldwide as one of New York’s top 10 attractions, the Staten Island Ferry carries about 2 million tourists every year. They plan ahead for the scenic round-trip voyage back and forth across the harbor, but rarely leave the St. George Ferry Terminal itself to see anything anywhere on the Island.

This guaranteed year-round stream of visitors is why investors found it was economically viable to propose to the city Economic Development Corp. to build an observation wheel like the 443-foot London Eye or the 541-foot Singapore Flyer. Mayor Michael Bloomberg has endorsed the concept. So has Borough President James Molinaro, who has said agreement in principle could come this month to build the Wheel on city-owned land near the Richmond County Bank Ballpark. He says it could be up and running by early 2015.

The sooner the better, we say.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think it will do just fine, and surprise a lot of doubters.
Staten Island has always had trouble getting tourists to stay on the island for any amount of time. A few years ago they made bus tours using old trolly-looking vehicles to ferry tourists around Staten Island to locations like the Conference House and Snug Harbor. I haven't seen any of these vehicles around for almost two years, so I imagine the program ended. I personally can't imagine why a knowledgeable traveler would want to spend time on Staten Island at places like those I mentioned above when Manhattan has so much more to offer.

If we do end up trying to attract more tourists by building this wheel, they should focus on adding some other attractions in the St.George area. Any where else on the island would be silly, as even a typical tourist would be hard to convince to spend three hours traversing around what essentially is a suburb of the other four boroughs.

I'm not saying this project will fail if built, these are just things to consider. I'm sure we can all agree that it would be quite sad if it was built and 3/4 of the modules were empty during peak hours.

Last edited by Duck From NY; Aug 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
If we do end up trying to attract more tourists by building this wheel, they should focus on adding some other attractions in the St.George area. Any where else on the island would be silly, as even a typical tourist would be hard to convince to spend three hours traversing around what essentially is a suburb of the other four boroughs.

I'm not saying this project will fail if built, these are just things to consider. I'm sure we can all agree that it would be quite sad if it was built and 3/4 of the modules were empty during peak hours.

The thing about that wheel is that it is a destination, not just a ride. It in of itself would be enough. We talk in terms of tourists making the trip, but some forget that it's a metro of some 20 million people to draw from as well. Beyond that though, tourists making the journey on the ferry and the trip to the wheel won't really have much time for a lot of other things to do in Staten Island anyway. It's a big city. So much to do, and so little time. Maybe some locals could make a day trip of it...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

Staten Island Outlet Mall Is Proposed

By LAURA KUSISTO and ELIOT BROWN
August 21, 2012

Quote:
New Yorkers and tourists endure traffic jams on crowded buses to travel to outlet malls for discounted jeans and handbags, but the city and a developer are betting they would prefer a 25-minute ferry ride to Staten Island. The Bloomberg administration is in advanced talks with Don Capoccia, of BFC Partners, to build a roughly half-a-million-square-foot outlet mall near the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, according to two people briefed on the proposal. The mall would be near another big idea for Staten Island: Officials are also in advanced talks with investor group Plaza Capital Group Management, which would build the tallest "observation wheel" in the world, lifting visitors roughly 600 feet, according to people familiar with the proposal.

The mall and the observation wheel would replace parking lots on either side of Richmond County Bank Ballpark, the stadium of the minor league Staten Island Yankees. "It would be a draw for Staten Islanders and a draw for tourists to come downtown more than they already do," said state Sen. Diane Savino, a Democrat who represents the area.

Officials are hoping to reach an agreement with developers on the observation wheel and mall sites simultaneously, according to multiple people familiar with the process. No deal on either proposal has been reached. "We're thrilled with the excitement these sites have generated as we continue discussions with multiple developers in the hope of unlocking significant economic development potential for Staten Island's North Shore," said Benjamin Branham, a spokesman for the city's Economic Development Corp.

The Center for an Urban Future, a nonprofit research organization, estimated in a 2007 report about Staten Island that more than two million tourists a year take the ferry, with few ever leaving to explore the island. Outlet malls, which sell discounted goods by popular brands, have boomed across the country in the past decade, even as traditional enclosed suburban malls have declined in popularity. The New York area has relatively few, though, in part because of the dominance of Woodbury Common Premium Outlets—a huge and popular complex about 50 miles north of Manhattan. New York shoppers take hourlong bus rides there or travel to outlet malls on Long Island and New Jersey.

The Staten Island project has the potential to be the first outlet mall in New York City. Another proposal for an outlet mall in the Bronx is also reportedly under consideration.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The thing about that wheel is that it is a destination, not just a ride. It in of itself would be enough. We talk in terms of tourists making the trip, but some forget that it's a metro of some 20 million people to draw from as well. Beyond that though, tourists making the journey on the ferry and the trip to the wheel won't really have much time for a lot of other things to do in Staten Island anyway. It's a big city. So much to do, and so little time. Maybe some locals could make a day trip of it...
It's a destination, and not a ride, for sure. I'm just emphasizing that if they're going to try to use other methods (like the proposed shopping destination) along with the wheel to attract people to the island, they should try to concentrate that flow of people to and not far from St.George.

I'm sure plenty of people from the Metro will come to the wheel within the first year or two, but like other tourist destinations in the city, I doubt it will generate a lot of interest from local people once it's been established.

I really hope this succeeds, I'd love to see this thing from my backyard, from Todt Hill, etc.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 4:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wow. 600ft. That is one hell of a big wheel. If only it were a bit closer to the lower manhattan skyline.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 5:29 PM

is this wheel in new york just a rumor?

how will it compare to the wheels in vegas?
they are building 2 wheels

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
is this wheel in new york just a rumor?

how will it compare to the wheels in vegas?
they are building 2 wheels
No they aren't. Las Vegas is only building one wheel which would be 500 feet tall. The Staten Island Wheel would be 600 feet tall, and it's proposed so it isn't a rumor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects