HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:52 PM

Philadelphia through February is back to pre-pandemic levels. Let’s hope it stays this way and continues to improve.

2024: 50
2023: 69
2022: 84
2021: 77
2020: 60
2019: 48

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:42 PM

Toronto saw 9 homicides in February and is up to 9 for the year.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Toronto saw 9 homicides in February and is up to 9 for the year.
That’s about the same for Anchorage. A city of 250k. Sad times.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 3:02 AM

^Sorry, I meant 6 in February. 9 total.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 2:18 PM

Stockholm is off to a good start with 4. Only 1 deadly shooting so far.

Police work, coincidence or because of the cold weather - i dont know. Probably a mix.

I believe Oslo, Norway is ahead so far. Very unusual.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:14 PM

Minneapolis:

2024: 10
2023: 12

St Paul:

2024: 3
2023: 3

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:34 PM

São Paulo state (45 million inh.) once again reached a new low for January:

Jan 2024: 215
Jan 2023: 250

That would be a 5.6 homicides/100,000, 4.5 times lower than the national average. Out of those 215, 16 were latrocínios (robbery followed by death). That's the scariest crime for the overall population as the other homicides are mostly traffic related.

Car theft/carjacking also reached the all-time low: 3,172 Jan/2023 to 2,251 Jan/2024.

Interestingly, the feeling of insecurity, specially in São Paulo capital is the highest for the past 10 years. Cracolândia, skyrocketing homelessness and mobile theft is contributing to this. In 2022, 155,843 mobiles were stolen on São Paulo capital. In 2023, it fell to 103,493, still a very high number. Given the municipality has 11.5 million inh. (and the same amount of cell phones), 1% of all cell phones are robbed every year.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
São Paulo state (45 million inh.) once again reached a new low for January:

Jan 2024: 215
Jan 2023: 250

That would be a 5.6 homicides/100,000, 4.5 times lower than the national average. Out of those 215, 16 were latrocínios (robbery followed by death). That's the scariest crime for the overall population as the other homicides are mostly traffic related.

Car theft/carjacking also reached the all-time low: 3,172 Jan/2023 to 2,251 Jan/2024.

Interestingly, the feeling of insecurity, specially in São Paulo capital is the highest for the past 10 years. Cracolândia, skyrocketing homelessness and mobile theft is contributing to this. In 2022, 155,843 mobiles were stolen on São Paulo capital. In 2023, it fell to 103,493, still a very high number. Given the municipality has 11.5 million inh. (and the same amount of cell phones), 1% of all cell phones are robbed every year.
I assume by "traffic" you mean drugs and not people driving vehicles?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I assume by "traffic" you mean drugs and not people driving vehicles?
Oh yeah. I would write drug traffic, gangs, cartels, but I decided to shorten it. Is it wrong? In Portuguese, it's two different words: tráfico (drug traffic) and tráfego (car traffic). Sometimes native speakers mix both.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah. I would write drug traffic, gangs, cartels, but I decided to shorten it. Is it wrong? In Portuguese, it's two different words: tráfico (drug traffic) and tráfego (car traffic). Sometimes native speakers mix both.
It's "trafficking" in English.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It's "trafficking" in English.
Thank you. "Traffic" is only the verb, right?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 11:05 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Thank you. "Traffic" is only the verb, right?
Apologies on behalf of the English for our silly, silly language.

Traffic:

A: Noun for movement of objects (cars, ships, aircraft, internet packets, pedestrians)

B: Verb for movement of illegal good
-Past Tense Form: Trafficked
-Present Tense Form: He/She/They Traffics or He/She/They are Trafficking
-Future Tense Form: He/She/They will Traffic

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 11:07 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Got a friend that used to work at u of c crime lab, now working directly for cpd data area. His simple opinion is that the pandemic disrupted alot of normal money making schemes and caused chaos which led to a spike in murders.
I would certainly conquer that there is something to this.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:29 PM

1,463 "feminicides" in Brazil in 2023, a record high

"Feminicide" is a criminal offence sanctioned in 2015 (in Brazil criminal law is federal) which is a homicide against a woman resulted of her gender, such as domestic violence.

Brazil registered 40,464 homicides in 2023 of which about 8%-9% victims are women (less than 4,000). So almost 50% of homicides against women are now prosecuted as "feminicide". Note the rise on feminicides is mostly due how crimes are prosecuted as in 2023 the number of homicides in Brazil reached the lowest level since the early 1990's or so.

Those 1,463 feminicides translate into a rate of 1.4 murder/100,000 women.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
1,463 "feminicides" in Brazil in 2023, a record high

"Feminicide" is a criminal offence sanctioned in 2015 (in Brazil criminal law is federal) which is a homicide against a woman resulted of her gender, such as domestic violence.

Brazil registered 40,464 homicides in 2023 of which about 8%-9% victims are women (less than 4,000). So almost 50% of homicides against women are now prosecuted as "feminicide". Note the rise on feminicides is mostly due how crimes are prosecuted as in 2023 the number of homicides in Brazil reached the lowest level since the early 1990's or so.

Those 1,463 feminicides translate into a rate of 1.4 murder/100,000 women.
Could it be that Brazilian women are increasingly affirming themselves and that many men aren't accepting this too well, with some striking out violently?

(I think the same evolution may have happened where I live, though I've never read anything conclusive. It's just my personal théorie de salon.)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Could it be that Brazilian women are increasingly affirming themselves and that many men aren't accepting this too well, with some striking out violently?

(I think the same evolution may have happened where I live, though I've never read anything conclusive. It's just my personal théorie de salon.)
I guess it's more a matter of how police report and then how the crime is prosecuted afterwards. It's a relatively new piece of legislation (2015) so I guess in the first years of the law such crimes were prosecuted simply as "homicide" with some aggravating. Now they're going straight to the new law. As the number of women murdered is pretty much stable around 4,000 (slowly declining as the rest of homicides), that's the most likely explanation.

"Feminicídio" is a made up word but today everybody understands the meaning. In the beginning some people mocked it as something "woke", but now it's taken seriously all over the board.

I think it's important as it makes society more aware of its most important problems. Like racism, for example, which has been criminalized in Brazil for a long time and the Supreme Court extended it to cover homophobia as well three years ago. Racists/homophobics could be punished indirectly (libel) previously, but it's important for a society to state is values and take such issues way more seriously. On the press, "feminicídios" certainly take more coverage under this new label than it had previously.

Anyway, I know it's 200 million people country, but still 1,463 is still a horribly high number. And that's the most extreme form: millions of women suffer all kinds of abuse daily.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 8:09 PM

Whats going on in Philly and NY? Lots of things happening in public transportation areas? A coincidence?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 11:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Chicago just went an entire weekend (Friday afternoon to Monday morning) without a single homicide.

I can't remember the last time that happened.

Weekends are typically a blood bath here.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
Whats going on in Philly and NY? Lots of things happening in public transportation areas? A coincidence?
At 63 YTD. The lowest number since 2016 when the city finished the year with 277 homicides. It's a decrease of 36% YOY.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
Basically all major crimes in NYC are down this year relative to 2023. On public transit too.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/nypd/news/p...-february-2024

Despite the alt-right rhetoric, NYC and the MTA are on-course to have one of the lowest crime years in recorded history. It is amazing how social media and alt news sources have completely scrambled reality, on the economy, immigration, crime, Ukraine and a host of topics. It's like we're back in the Dark Ages.

And 2023 was one of the safest years in recorded history in NYC (meaning among the safest since late 1950's, when citywide crime reporting began). And nationwide violent crime was near modern-day lows in 2023.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions