HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waterview Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 12:53 PM
Cleared for takeoff

There's no way Waterview catches 300. The current floor rate just doesn't cut it and when you factor in the transfer floor at 27 that's going to take forever and a day, its just not feasable.

Last edited by Knightwing; Feb 24, 2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled feasible. Dog gone it!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 12:12 AM

Curious Question

In all honesty, can someone please explain here since we've been thru this before when trump started back then, why does a transfer floor take as long as it does ? I really don't know the answer and would love to know what is involved in its execution??

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 12:49 AM
Registered

^ Typically in a reinforced concrete building, transfer floors take a long time. This is due to 1. Reconfiguration of the floor plates, and 2. Extensive and special construction that goes into the transfer floor itself.

Most all of the buildings you see U/C have flying formwork, which means that for typical floors that are repeated one after the next, the team has skillfully crafted the forms to allow rapid construction. The formwork is lifted in pieces to the next floor, shoring is installed, utilities and rebar are put in place, and the concrete is poured. Since transfer floors usually are indicative of a switch in the floor configuration, the process of reworking these forms can take time. You might say that one could average the time spent configuring the formwork into the floor-to-floor pour rate, since it is prep work that allows the floors to proceed at such an awesome pace thereafter. It's a kind of investment in smart planning.

Second, the deep beams and other highly engineered elements that comprise the transfer floor are cumbersome and complex. These usually are one-of-a-kind designs, and consequently, each one needs special attention. The sheer amount of work and materials that go into the floor is also greater.

Hope this helps and that I didn't say anything "postmodern" that might offend anyone.

Last edited by honte; Feb 24, 2008 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 1:38 AM
Cleared for takeoff

^Good analysis. Also, someone here has likened a transfer floor to a 'foundation in the sky'. Think of each of the 4 setbacks of Trump as 4 individual buildings stacked upon one another. Each "building" has it's own floorplate which is different than the one below or above it. So that the load is properly distributed onto the areas which have been designed to carry the load, transfer floors are needed to 'tie' all four individual buildings together on one set of caissons at the ground level.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 1:55 AM
Cleared for takeoff

^Sorry, I originally thought that this was the Trump thread, so that's why things are addresssed in "4 buildings". Instead of editing that post, I thought that I would just leave it because Trump's setbacks provide a better example of the importance of transfer floors compared to Waterview. For Waterview, consider 2 buildings. The original rectangular box which wil house the parking and hotel, then the 'triangle' which will house the residences. The concept is the same though.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 8:48 AM

02/23/08

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 3:45 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Nice - very atmospheric.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
February 22, 2008

What do you suppose that people are doing on top of the next door Transportaion building?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 9:02 PM

^^ Taking pictures :p

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 10:52 PM

Thanks Honte!!!!!!!! Have a much better understanding.... so complex but also very cool how things work!

Wonder how long the transfer floor will take here since the triangular part up is relatively small??

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 3:41 AM
Chicago

February 22, 2008

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
February 22, 2008

At first glance I thought those might be cladding sections, but they're too small for that.
Nice action shot though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 4:13 AM

Feb 25 - Lunch

Concrete pumping

But no trucks

Hiding down below.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 9:07 AM

lol, nice, harry

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:14 PM

I thought you were setting us up for another rumor, Harry

"Waterview Tower pretends to pump concrete, financing in peril!"

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 10:33 PM

^^^they're just paid actors to convince more buyers that the building is actually under construction

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 2:57 AM

Nice to see the rumors being dispelled. Even one of the cabbies I had this weekend pointed to Waterview tower as we were driving and said that it was put on hold, and was waiting to get taken over by another developer. I mean, who started all this bullshit.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 3:06 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

first harry starts posting artsy black and whites and now we get witty commentary?

just stick the photos harry thanks.

kidding.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 3:23 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Even one of the cabbies I had this weekend pointed to Waterview tower as we were driving and said that it was put on hold, and was waiting to get taken over by another developer. I mean, who started all this bullshit.
Before now, no one could figure out why Donald Trump aimed to enter the Guinness Book by riding in every taxi in Chicagoland.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Before now, no one could figure out why Donald Trump aimed to enter the Guinness Book by riding in every taxi in Chicagoland.
OMG, that's one for all time. You are brilliant sir, abolutely brilliant.
"Chicago doesn't need Bryant to feel like a big-time player, just as it doesn't need Donald Trump to build a tower downtown to feel adequate. Nice that Trump's doing it, but when you have the Sears Tower and the Hancock building, you're pretty secure with who you are. And when somebody named Michael Jordan has graced your presence, somebody named Kobe Bryant isn't going to shake your world." Rick Morrissey, 2007

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive