HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the 2016 Manitoba Provincial Election?
New Democratic Party of Manitoba (NDP) 12 15.58%
Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba (PC) 36 46.75%
Manitoba Liberal Party 19 24.68%
Other / Not Voting 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
something just came to me, have any of the Federal Party leaders been in Manitoba to help support their Provincial wing?
I'm not sure to what extent the federal party has pitched in, but Jim Carr was shown in the news campaigning with Rana, and Kevin Lamoureux's daughter is running in Burrows. I'm sure that there are other examples, although maybe Maryann Mihychuk might be taking a pass on it given that she was a provincial NDP cabinet minister before....

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm not sure to what extent the federal party has pitched in, but Jim Carr was shown in the news campaigning with Rana, and Kevin Lamoureux's hot daughter is running in Burrows. I'm sure that there are other examples, although maybe Maryann Mihychuk might be taking a pass on it given that she was a provincial NDP cabinet minister before....
Yeah, I've noticed her signs. I wonder how much her name recognition can help her. Her dad won the provincial seat for the Libs there when no one else was winning.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It's not that simple. The big problem is too much muda.

Modern business, like ones that are ISO certified operate using methods of continuous improvement. They continually work to improve the quality of the product or service they provide while also making attempts to reduce costs. The method (or model) is a requirement to a retained ISO certification and is constantly audited.

Doesn't matter if profit or loss is in the equation. The process of continuous improvement can work without it and therefore can work in government.

Thank you Mr. Toyoda.
You seem unaware that there's a provincial government that is in based in Toronto. I'm just asking if they follow the principles you're speaking about. It's a simple question. It's always good to hear the perspectives of people living in different locations.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
something just came to me, have any of the Federal Party leaders been in Manitoba to help support their Provincial wing?
Yes, they have been.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:53 PM

Now this is getting interesting. Brian Pallister channels Sam Katz.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...375787341.html

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Now this is getting interesting. Brian Pallister channels Sam Katz.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spe...375787341.html
Bokhari can't remember if she filed her taxes. Pallister can't remember that he spent months outside the country.

Didn't think I'd say this, but Selinger is looking better and better.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:00 PM

My favourite part is the official party response that he had an "unfortunate lapse in memory."

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:43 PM
Heart of the Continent

Well then...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Bokhari can't remember if she filed her taxes. Pallister can't remember that he spent months outside the country.

Didn't think I'd say this, but Selinger is looking better and better.
The story is behind a paywall. What is the context of the story?

His he being accused of being a fat cat because he travels outside of the province? That seemed to be an accusation lobbed at Harper because he didn't spend enough time out of the country!

Anyway, I have no idea why Pallister didn't just say "yes" I travel outside of the province. Duh!

I think there are too many people in politics who think they are very smart but many times outsmart themselves when they try to outsmart Jill and Joe Public.

The truth (no matter how painful) will ALWAYS set you free!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:56 PM

^ It wasn't so much the fact that he spent time out of province (he's a rich dude, everyone knows that) as it is the fact that he just out and out lied about it. Which, for a guy who is accusing Selinger of lying about the PST every day, is a nonsensical approach to take.

I'm amazed that Costa Rica's immigration authority coughs up details on private citizens so easily, but Pallister sure has been put in an awkward spot as a result. Why didn't he just admit to it in the first place?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:04 PM

[QUOTE=esquire;7408950]^ It wasn't so much the fact that he spent time out of province (he's a rich dude, everyone knows that) as it is the fact that he just out and out lied about it. Which, for a guy who is accusing Selinger of lying about the PST every day, is a nonsensical approach to take.

I'm amazed that Costa Rica's immigration authority coughs up details on private citizens so easily, but Pallister sure has been put in an awkward spot as a result. Why didn't he just admit to it in the first place?[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.

If the Dippers pull this one out of the fire, my farmer brother in SW MB will absolutely lose his mind.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:15 PM
Starring as himself

This gem should win gold at the "damning with faint praise" Olympics:

Pallister is a self-made man of means who should not be judged or criticized for having the resources to own property in a tropical paradise.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:15 PM

^ I'm pretty sure Selinger used his ninth life on winning the NDP leadership back. At this point he'd pretty much need a photo of Pallister draped in a swastika flag or something equally shocking to have any hope of winning the election.

This will only amount to a speed bump for Pallister in terms of impact on the 2016 election, but it will definitely provide opposition parties with ammo for the next time around.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:24 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
This gem should win gold at the "damning with faint praise" Olympics:

Pallister is a self-made man of means who should not be judged or criticized for having the resources to own property in a tropical paradise.

I don't care that he's rich. He's lying.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I don't care that he's rich. He's lying.
Politicians eh

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:31 PM

Stupid stupid thing to do on Pallister's part. Who cares that he has a home in Costa Rica? Just be honest.

The issue I guess is that he's paid to do a job and spend too much time on vacation. And that's a fair point. Then again Sammy never worked a full week in his life and it was a running joke among media covering city hall but I dont recall it ever becoming a story. I guess because his other residence was in teh US.

This sounds like someone thought they could confuse the public between fat cats hiding money in Panama and Pallister owning property in Costa Rica

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:37 PM
BANNED

Why, why, why?

Why did the Cons elect a leader with a likability factor of zero who would rather be retired and spend time at his home out of country?

Why did the clueless speNDP stick with a leader no one likes or trusts including those within his own party?

Why did the liberals run with a leader totally out of her element who seems to have trouble with even basic life skills?

Curly, Larry and Moe

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Stupid stupid thing to do on Pallister's part. Who cares that he has a home in Costa Rica? Just be honest.

The issue I guess is that he's paid to do a job and spend too much time on vacation. And that's a fair point. Then again Sammy never worked a full week in his life and it was a running joke among media covering city hall but I dont recall it ever becoming a story. I guess because his other residence was in teh US.

This sounds like someone thought they could confuse the public between fat cats hiding money in Panama and Pallister owning property in Costa Rica
I wonder if Pallister was reluctant to admit anything Costa Rica related precisely because of the Sam Katz-Scottsdale thing? Katz's prolonged absences left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. I guess Pallister didn't want to get tagged that way too.

To some extent I can understand why people react the way they do. I mean, I get that Katz and Pallister are successful rich guys, but if you want to lead Winnipeg or Manitoba shouldn't you like the place enough to not live as much as you can at your residence in some other place? The same applied to Pat Martin when he was MP.

The whole thing is just dumb. "Yeah, I'll be your MP/mayor/premier, just as long as I can spend as little time in Winnipeg/Manitoba as possible and keep living in Salt Spring Island/Scottsdale/Costa Rica as much as I can"

Not really the greatest vote of confidence from our elected leaders. If Pallister wants to live in Costa Rica so badly, why doesn't he hand over the leadership reins to someone in the PC caucus who can stomach living in Manitoba 12 months of the year and just go to his warm weather residence full time?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:51 PM

The sheer amount of time he spends in Costa Rica, instead of visiting flood plains in Manitoba, is concerning. But I think the bigger concern is the misleading comments and outright lies. In my experience, if people are less than truthful and misleading about one thing, chances are they are less than truthful and misleading about a lot of things. Anyhoo, he's going to be premier so it'll be a fun four years.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 4:07 PM

Unprecedented lies from NDP
May as well claim the Tories are going to drown puppies, ban hockey and cancel Christmas

By Tom Brodbeck,

Quote:
They claim every day, for example, that the Tories are planning to cut $500 million from front-line services, including schools and hospitals. The Tories have never said or even suggested that. It's not in their campaign material. It's not anywhere. It's a number fabricated by the NDP who believe if they say it over and over, people will believe it.

The NDP also claim the Tories want to bring in two-tier health care so that Manitobans would get health services based on the size of their wallets. No they haven't. They haven't even hinted at it. Why would they? They'd never get elected if they did. Nothing they've ever said in speeches, campaign material or in the media has ever suggested they are remotely interested in bringing in two-tier health care. It's a complete and utter lie.
Hmm lies? from the other side of the isle, from Tom..

Con't http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/04/1...-lies-from-ndp

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan