HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:44 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
They're a partial investor in TNS, so I don't know if they can afford more than one project at once.

Besides, 201 Portage is not at full occupancy. Fill 201 first and possibly 225 Hargrave St., then we can consider adding more Class A office space.
EDIT: Oops, you were talking richardson...

Last edited by steveosnyder; Apr 5, 2016 at 7:45 PM. Reason: I misunderstood.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:46 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
My bet for how Artis will address the remaining podium is to locate the apartment tower on the far south side of the site and have a raised park like amenity level only accessible to the apartment owners with skylight features for Winnipeg Square below.
Biff, you strike me as someone who doesn't make a bet, unless they are holding all the cards. In this case cards means conceptual drawings.

I think you should just come out with it, and own up to seeing the conceptual drawings that show (and I quote):
Quote:
the apartment tower on the far south side of the site (with) a raised park like amenity level only accessible to the apartment owners with skylight features for Winnipeg Square below
We want the truth!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:48 PM

^ That did strike me as an oddly specific rumination

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Can you handle it though Drew?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:51 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I have braced myself.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:51 PM

^ haha I thought the same re: Biffers comments.

I don't mind the shape of the existing tower, to be honest. The offset hexagon. Which looks like a building code thing, required some form of offset from the RBC building?? You can see a similar outline on the east edge of the south pad. I'd like both building to have a somewhat similar shape. Just cause I like everything to be neat and orderly haha Well somewhat anyways. If they're different, that's fine, I guess... I'll just have to accept it!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:55 PM
BANNED

I am hoping the recladding includes altering the shape, and perhaps angling the roof.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:56 PM

^ I really like the shape of 360 Main too... I hope the new building coordinates well with the existing one, although it's hard to imagine it will look anything like the south tower shown in the rendering.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:58 PM

I think it would be difficult to alter the existing tower too much, without doing some extensive foundation work. Might be difficult to start hanging more floor space off the existing structure. They could do something with the roof though.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 8:38 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't mind the shape of the existing tower, to be honest. The offset hexagon.
I was told once by an architect it was actually an offset square with small portions of the corners cut off but.....

Guys, I really am just guessing about the 300 Main thing. And your right, I generally don't bet that much - NFL, that's it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:15 AM

201 Portage second tower proposal long time ago

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:56 PM

C'mon Harvard, get that second tower built. I want it to look like the rendering too! Better yet, add a third tower on the empty lot too!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:21 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy6 View Post

201 Portage second tower proposal long time ago

I remember that second tower. Wasn't it supposed to be on the Notre Dame side where the plaza and big screen TV is now?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:44 PM

Yeah, that was the original plan for the site. There was (at least) one other tower proposed by CanWest for the same location, looked different. They were going to locate the Global headquarters and studio in it, from what I remember.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 2:33 PM

^ It still gnaws at me that they tore down such an elegant building (TD Bank) to make way for a second tower that never came. How annoying.

It would look great if they one day completed the matching set... I'd love to see Portage and Fort built up instead of being the empty void that it is now on the NE corner. Although with large tenants leaving 201 Portage (TDS, Canwest) or shrinking their presence dramatically (TD, Agricore, Global) every few years it seems, I wouldn't expect that second tower to be built anytime soon... at least, not as office space.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:15 PM
Ignore these four words.

^^We didn't expect the second tower over Winnipeg Square, right? So who knows? With the way the ball is rolling, things may happen.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
^^We didn't expect the second tower over Winnipeg Square, right? So who knows? With the way the ball is rolling, things may happen.
Yeah, that's why I specifically said office space... if the housing market downtown keeps growing, who knows, maybe something will happen? Although I don't think there is an actual pad with foundation in place at 201 Portage, so there aren't cost savings to be realized as with Winnipeg Square.

Portage Place of course has pads in place to accommodate new buildings... I wonder whether anything is in the works there?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, that's why I specifically said office space... if the housing market downtown keeps growing, who knows, maybe something will happen? Although I don't think there is an actual pad with foundation in place at 201 Portage, so there aren't cost savings to be realized as with Winnipeg Square.

Portage Place of course has pads in place to accommodate new buildings... I wonder whether anything is in the works there?
Wasn't there a story a few years back about the portage place pads but FNP refused to relinquish control over the parkade so it was unfeasible.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:50 PM
Ignore these four words.

With those Portage Place pads, I keep my fingers crossed. I remember seeing two towers at each end of the mall, on the model, way back when I was a teen. Then got dissappointed when the final product didn't have them - I felt duped, not realizing that was for "future" development. Could the future be now, perhaps?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
With those Portage Place pads, I keep my fingers crossed. I remember seeing two towers at each end of the mall, on the model, way back when I was a teen. Then got dissappointed when the final product didn't have them - I felt duped, not realizing that was for "future" development. Could the future be now, perhaps?
With the issues in Portage Place, marketability of the site could be a challenge. Selling $350,000 condos (or whatever the price would be) on top of the PP food court might not seem like the most enticing purchase when there are more pleasant locales downtown. The same challenges would exist for hotel and office development too.

Then again, Glasshouse is only a block away and that sold well, so who knows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan