HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 12:06 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
It seems a bit like they're imitating the Pearl's industrial aesthetic.
The Pig & The Pearl!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 12:09 AM

Me too,

I think this proposed new Residence Inn resembles the Dallas Book Depository.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I thought was a refurbished warehouse at first.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 12:33 AM

Hmm I don't mind the design but I wish they'd aim a little higher with the tenants. Seems like most of these new hotel proposals are a lower tier Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt sub-brands.

Something like an EDITION would fit well in the Pearl area... or dare I say, Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons lol.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 3:41 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Hmm I don't mind the design but I wish they'd aim a little higher with the tenants. Seems like most of these new hotel proposals are a lower tier Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt sub-brands.

Something like an EDITION would fit well in the Pearl area... or dare I say, Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons lol.
I'm actually happy with the type of hotel that I could afford to stay in.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2023, 8:22 AM

Quote:
I'm actually happy with the type of hotel that I could afford to stay in.
There's already a boat load of options when it comes to that tier of hotel and not a lot when it comes to higher end-luxury stuff, although it is better than 5-10 years ago.

Those Staybridge Suites/Embassy/Home2/Hampton Inn/Courtyard types are always eye sores or filler at best. At least going up a tier to something like a Hyatt Centric or Aloft usually leads to a better looking building. Comparing the Centric in Austin to the Homewood/Fairfield Inn off Rainey is such a huge difference.

Personally I'd rather see a project like the W figure out how to get built versus plopping a cookie cutter hotel in that area.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 7:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
There's already a boat load of options when it comes to that tier of hotel and not a lot when it comes to higher end-luxury stuff, although it is better than 5-10 years ago.

Those Staybridge Suites/Embassy/Home2/Hampton Inn/Courtyard types are always eye sores or filler at best. At least going up a tier to something like a Hyatt Centric or Aloft usually leads to a better looking building. Comparing the Centric in Austin to the Homewood/Fairfield Inn off Rainey is such a huge difference.

Personally I'd rather see a project like the W figure out how to get built versus plopping a cookie cutter hotel in that area.
I hear ya. I'm not mad at this design though. I surprise myself with that opinion. It's not great, but at least it looks like an old industrial building that was converted, which is better than the airport cookie cutter stuff.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2023, 9:26 PM

Quote:
I hear ya. I'm not mad at this design though. I surprise myself with that opinion. It's not great, but at least it looks like an old industrial building that was converted, which is better than the airport cookie cutter stuff.

Oh for sure, this one is way better than the other proposal by Main Plaza.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 5:06 PM

Developer Weston Urban plans apartments on downtown site once floated as Missions sta

No high rise 😕
From SA Express News

Weston Urban, the most active developer in downtown San Antonio, plans to build more apartments as it expands its investment in housing in the central city.

The firm wants to construct up to 375 apartments and a parking garage on about 3.5 acres across from San Pedro Creek Culture Park just north of the San Antonio Independent School District’s offices, according to information obtained through an open records request.

As recently as last year, the property had been floated as a potential location for a new stadium for the San Antonio Missions baseball team. Weston Urban co-founders Graham Weston and Randy Smith are part of the ownership group that acquired the Missions Double-A baseball team for $28 million in late 2022 with plans to build a downtown ballpark. 

5-story plans

The five-story complex on the property between Kingsbury, Flores and Camaron streets includes a mix of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. The firm plans to retain and highlight the facade of the former Sunshine Laundry business along Flores as part of the development, the materials indicate.

It’s unclear when it could be built. Smith said the firm is focused on completing 300 Main, a 32-story high-rise at North Main Avenue and East Travis Street, and redeveloping a block bounded by the creek and Commerce, Dolorosa and Laredo streets.

The 300 Main complex will include about 350 apartments as well as retail space and a parking garage and is expected to be finished next year. At the other site, Weston Urban is renovating three historic buildings and erecting a 16-story building with about 300 apartments and commercial space. Construction is anticipated to be completed in late 2025.

The firm also expanded its residential holdings when it acquired the 381-unit Soap Factory complex this fall, which is across from its property near SAISD.

Weston Urban’s other properties include the Weston Centre offices, the Milam building and Houston Street buildings occupied by co-working space Geekdom, restaurants and investment firm Scaleworks. The firm built the Frost Tower in 2019.

‘Options don’t exist’

Smith has said there are not enough housing options for people wanting to live downtown and the city’s population is swelling.

“I think the bullishness mostly stems from the fact that by and large what we’re doing are first-of-their-kind projects,” he said in an interview last month. “It’s not that everyone wants to live in a high-rise downtown — it’s that there’s a significant portion of any community that does, and today those options don’t exist.”

Smith said Weston Urban hopes to attract students attending the University of Texas at San Antonio as well as office workers and people seeking an urban lifestyle. The firm’s projects are near UTSA’s School of Data Science and the National Security Collaboration Center and its campus just west of downtown.

“It’s our hope that it will run the gamut from folks that just want to live in a great spot downtown, to folks that want to be able to walk across the street to their classroom, to someone that works downtown — we hope it’s a mixed bag,” Smith said.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 9:30 PM

Eh, given that part of downtown, I'm okay with that.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 10:16 PM
James

Local architects weigh in on potential ways to reconnect downtown, East Side

Quote:
After decades split apart, the city is starting to explore solutions for reconnecting downtown with the East Side, a part of San Antonio that has undergone disinvestment, public health inequities and is often a flashpoint for gentrification conversations.

In applying for a Department of Transportation grant, the city will commission a study of the most effective ways to reduce that barrier, hoping to settle on solutions that would require a second grant to partially fund. A lot of that will involve the developments at Hemisfair, the crossings around the Alamodome and Convention Center, and other entities that hold land in the area.

In light of that forthcoming study, the Business Journal asked four of the city's architects for their ideas on how that reconnection should work. Those conversations centered on a potential sports district, walkability, affordable housing and gentrification.

Jonathan Card, Principal, Card and Company Architects

In blogs written earlier this year, Card put forward a series of "what ifs" concerning transportation, affordable housing and downtown connectivity. In his fifth and final post, he proposed two pedestrian land bridges that would rise over Interstate 37, connecting Dignowity Hill and Hemisfair into a massive sports, housing and public park district.

As downtown stakeholders bounce around ideas on how to create district that's lively around the clock, he thinks walkability will play a huge part in any future success.

"One way to do it would be making a car-free environment where people can move freely across downtown, connect all of that and then supplement it with a sports district," Card said.

He thinks that San Antonio has a history of spreading itself too thin when it comes to developing walkable areas. This opportunity, he says, is a way to right the wrongs of the past.

"A primary principle of urban planning is understanding where you have dynamism and picking the right spot to use," he said. "In urban planning it's called 'nodes.' You have existing nodes, they may be 70 miles or seven miles apart, but they are places that energy has already gravitated. Now you have to find the right spot in between and you connect the dots."

Card thinks a natural change that coincides with reducing the I-37 barrier is providing higher density to the area. He name-checked the frequently empty Alamodome parking lots as prime locations for development, adding to the tax base and providing a number of uses to center city residents.

"It's an incredibly valuable site that sits empty about 80% of the time," he said.

Elaine Kearney, Landscape Architect and San Antonio Principal, TBG Partners

Kearney thinks that somehow deemphasizing the I-37 barrier is a natural step to creating a more cohesive downtown. One option would be to bury it underground, as Boston has done.

"I think that there would be pros to buying the freeway, because creating at-grade connections that feel seamless and smooth between the two probably goes a long way toward beginning to reconnect what was the original fabric of the city," she said. "When you spend time in Dignowity [Hill], you can see a lot of incredible architecture ... that, at one point in time, felt very close to downtown. Today, they almost feel like they're different worlds."

But she acknowledges that this would probably be the most expensive option. A cheaper way to handle the barrier is to do more to make the underpasses of I-37 pedestrian-friendly. She points to the recent sports amenities that were installed under I-10 near Market Square and Toronto's Underpass Park.

"Those are really more intentional crossings," she said. "Points where you can allow pedestrians to make a strategic crossing."

Whether land bridges are built over I-37 or the highway is buried, she sees positives in both solutions.

Around the highway, she thinks public-private partnerships that deliver affordable housing would be another key to energizing the area.

Ryan Marchesi, Design Director, Gensler

Marchesi also thinks that sports are the key to unlocking this connectivity.

"Across the country, sports venues are becoming anchors for lifestyle mixed-use districts, such as The Star in Frisco, that catalyze investment and engagement," he said. "As they become more integrated into urban cores, existing barriers that divide begin to dissolve and the urban fabric becomes more connected."

But more importantly, protecting the interests of current East Side residents is paramount to any decision on how to reconfigure and reduce the barrier.

"It is critical to engage these communities in all phases of the planning process to ensure their concerns and needs are heard and met," he said. "While any development will benefit the city as a whole, we need consistent engagement from the communities in order to maintain affordability, improve accessibility to downtown and create a shared amenity that celebrates the cultural diversity of the city."

In seeking design inspiration for these potential connectors, Marchesi thinks project leaders should look across the pond.

"When studying this scale of development, we look to cities like Barcelona with their pedestrian-focused city centers and then explore combining that with San Antonio's affinity for green reactions space to help expand and deepen the connection back to downtown."

Kris Feldmann, Owner and Design Principal, CREO Architecture

On top of the I-37 barrier, a priority for Feldmann — as someone who lives and works on the East Side — is solving for the railroad that runs parallel to the highway. He's advocated for a quiet zone as a start, but thinks the end result should be a diversion of the rail line out of the Dignowity Hill and Denver Heights neighborhoods.

"Everyone points to the freeways and there's some obvious issues with them and challenges for crossing, but at least it's elevated and you can go under it," he said. "When a train parks, it blocks you from Carolina Street to Iowa Street. That's cutting off all of Denver Heights from direct access to Lavaca and the downtown area."

He thinks it's a public health issue that limits growth in the area. While huge projects have been proposed for the East Side in the past, he's in favor of several smaller, mixed-use developments for smaller lots.

"I think that there are probably more creative ways to do mixed-use development that has some housing, some commercial spaces, but respects the scale that you step down to when you go to the East Side," he said.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:47 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...way-plans.html

Quote:
Three years after buying up some prime real estate fronting Broadway, the family behind Terry Black's BBQ have started drawing up plans for the site.

The family intends to build a barbecue restaurant, hotel, spa and a parking garage on the land it owns at 2100 Broadway, according to documents obtained by the Business Journal through a public records request with the city of San Antonio. The plans call for a standalone barbecue restaurant, a three-floor hotel with a spa and a 110-space parking structure.

While accessible on the sidewalk, a dividing wall is planned to separate the restaurant and the hotel. An exact number of hotel rooms isn't clear, but they segmented into three room types: 350-square foot "Good Rooms," 450-square-foot "Better Rooms" and 600-square-foot "Best Rooms." The hotel portion will have its own restaurant and a private member's club.

The city conducted a preliminary plan review with the group in early January, municipal records show. A construction timeline has yet to be disclosed.

When the group purchased the 1.5-acre land in 2021, family member Mark Black told the Business Journal any project would fit the area's surroundings.

"We're not looking to come in there and just do a stale office building or hotel building or anything like that," Black said. "We want to very much fit in with the vibe and the history."

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 10:54 PM
James

I'm so excited. I'm glad there isn't going to be a big parking lot as well!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 1:12 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

This will be really cool and give the area some much needed character. But I am surprised the economics pencil out for such a low density development. That land can't have been cheap, the previous owners had plans for a 15 story office building I believe.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
This will be really cool and give the area some much needed character. But I am surprised the economics pencil out for such a low density development. That land can't have been cheap, the previous owners had plans for a 15 story office building I believe.
Also, where's the mentioned parking? Underground?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 3:09 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Good question, must be, maybe the entrance is on the other side from the image?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Good question, must be, maybe the entrance is on the other side from the image?
That's a big expense.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 2:04 PM

Quote:
The site is zoned "IDZ" (Infill Development Zone), which I believe means they are not required to provide parking. Wouldn't surprise me if that "parking structure" gets reduced somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 4:15 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Alamo Colleges office has acres of underutilized parking, maybe they've worked out a deal.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Alamo Colleges office has acres of underutilized parking, maybe they've worked out a deal.
https://www.expressnews.com/business...o-18598048.php

Terry Black's BBQ owners plan to build restaurants, hotel near Pearl

from the article:

Quote:
underground parking
I guess we'll see if this actually gets built.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 10:26 PM

Regarding IDZ and parking
IDZ-1 is the least intensive version and doesn’t require parkin. IDZ- 2 and 3 allow more intensive uses and require 50% of what code typically requires for the use. There is an older version of IDZ that it might also have that might not require it either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio