HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Not bad at all!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:57 AM
Everywhere all at once

The logo is handsome as hell, but am I the only one that sort of hopes they go with a different sort of name? Like either a name with a nickname a la the norm of North American sports leagues, or even a European naming convention that has been used less than FC ___, ___ United, Real ___, etc.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:36 AM

Nothing says we're badass and ready to strike fear into the hearts of our opponents like two intertwining oak trees...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:15 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Nothing says we're badass and ready to strike fear into the hearts of our opponents like two intertwining oak trees...
Hug a tree today.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:45 AM

I think the trend in MLS has been to go more general with the actual name and then let fans/supporters groups come up with a nickname. You see that with a lot of European football clubs. Manchester United's nickname is the "Red Devils", Manchester City is called "City" or "Citizens", Arsenal's nickname is "The Gunners"

"The Oaks" is already catching on here.

Here's Alexi Lalas calling us that

https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/statu...57729997266944

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:05 AM
Member since 2001

I still believe that 20,000 seats is too small. Nashville is building a 30,500 seat stadium. I really feel PSV may be underestimating support for this team and should consider at least a 25,000 seat stadium.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:40 AM
Meh

The logo is good, but the name is lame being that it's generic.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 6:22 AM

I'm surprised the new renderings weren't posted yet:

https://twitter.com/CorkGaines

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:17 AM
World Traveler

Man, that's cool.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:26 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Thanks, ATX! Now all that wood on the exterior makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 7:58 AM
Voice of the Modern World

So the reports stating that the MLS trademarked the names Austin FC and Austin Athletic panned out.

Our team will be Austin FC. Some guy in another thread tried telling me that it doesn't matter that the MLS trademarked those 2 names. That guy will be eating crow soon.

The logo, its colors, AND the new stadium renders are simply fantastic!!!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:16 PM
Resident Moron

Now we just need the rail line connection, some infill around McKalla place (VMUs with first floor residential) and for the city to make the walk to/from the Domain pedestrian friendly.

Hopefully we get some nice shuttle buses to/from Rock Rose and some of the breweries in the area on game day as well.

It's not the best part of town at the moment, but due to proximity to the domain and 183 it makes sense that Burnett between 183 and braker should take off alongside the stadium construction.

Are there any plans for pedestrian bridges over the train tracks to connect over towards 4th tap?

Last edited by StoOgE; Aug 23, 2018 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...134&j=83411271

County looks like they will make this an issue.
Let’s hope the city gets behind this ASAP. It would be great to see people wearing merch all around town forcing the county to get in line. We need to make it a political hot potato.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:41 PM

I simply love all of this!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Now we just need the rail line connection, some infill around McKalla place (VMUs with first floor residential) and for the city to make the walk to/from the Domain pedestrian friendly.

Hopefully we get some nice shuttle buses to/from Rock Rose and some of the breweries in the area on game day as well.

It's not the best part of town at the moment, but due to proximity to the domain and 183 it makes sense that Burnett between 183 and braker should take off alongside the stadium construction.

Are there any plans for pedestrian bridges over the train tracks to connect over towards 4th tap?
PSV's proposed site plan has always included a pedestrian crossing of the rail onto Delta Dr. At grade I expect.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...plan-more.html

Their initial traffic plan (using the Delta/Donley/Denton loop as a staging/loading zone for ride shares) would require it.

As for the walk from the Domain, once the Red Line trail connects to Braker (and the last amendments from council would have the stadium connect to that) the short term walk would be down the Kramer "trail"(wide sidewalk) to the trail and then down.
Once Broadmoor is constructed, walking across on Palm and then down will probably be better.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:03 PM
クラブトクヨ

I am very excited for this, but I am little nervous about the parking. How do you fill 20k seating with 1000 parking spaces?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I am very excited for this, but I am little nervous about the parking. How do you fill 20k seating with 1000 parking spaces?
You don't. You fill it with the 3000 parking spaces at Domain Tower a half mile away. The X parking spaces at Broadmore, the X spaces at....

Plus bike and transit.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:01 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Get people who are probably planning on drinking a bunch of beer, pre-gaming and post-gaming at bars to stop driving everywhere. It amazes me in the age of Uber and Lyft how full parking in downtown Austin is on Friday and Saturday night. Like, I'm sure there are some DDs and some people just eating dinner... but there are a lot of people who should not be driving that are. It's an issue that Austin needs to get under control, *especially* as we become a more pedestrian friendly city.

I'm planning on biking downtown (or lyft if I'm running late) and taking the rail to the stadium from there.

This would let me get down to the area early, hit up some of the local breweries and then hang around for an hour or so post game and take the rail back downtown where I could get home.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I'm planning on biking downtown (or lyft if I'm running late) and taking the rail to the stadium from there.

This would let me get down to the area early, hit up some of the local breweries and then hang around for an hour or so post game and take the rail back downtown where I could get home.
That's exactly my plan (or maybe even take the 803), too. I have no desire to drive with so many good breweries within walking distance of the stadium. I'm particularly excited for Circle Brewing just across the street on Braker. They don't get as much publicity as some of the others in the area but their beer is really, really good (Circle Blur is my second favorite local behind Live Oak Hefe) so I hope this gets them more visibility. I'm hoping they upgrade their tasting room a bit by the time the stadium comes on line, though. All of the breweries in the area should absolutely kill it on game days.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
PSV's proposed site plan has always included a pedestrian crossing of the rail onto Delta Dr. At grade I expect.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...plan-more.html

Their initial traffic plan (using the Delta/Donley/Denton loop as a staging/loading zone for ride shares) would require it.

Based on the Cap Metro rep's comments on the day of the stadium vote, there will not be an at-grade crossing of the tracks unless there is a station there. Otherwise, pedestrians would have to cross at a controlled spot (Braker).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin