HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:23 AM
Everywhere all at once

To think that photo was from only 18 months ago ..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:53 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
What year did the gold building turn blue? This photo was between 1987 and then.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
What year did the gold building turn blue? This photo was between 1987 and then.
1994, and it also gained 10 feet in height with the cover for the utilities on the roof. Four years earlier, my favorite facelift happened on the Dobie Center when they removed the brick for glass. One other major facelift was done to 816 Congress Ave.. and then later a rooftop terrace was added, I don't know the dates when they occurred, but the original exterior to 816 Congress was horrible. I think these were the only major facelifts downtown unless someone can think of another other than the recent total paint makeovers to 823 Congress and the Hilton.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 19, 2020 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 8:09 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That building was built in 1974, but it was reclad in 1994.

I think this photo is from the spring of 1999. This was before all of the development along 2nd Street in 2000 and 2001, and the City Hall in 2004. I can see the site was cleared for 300 West Sixth, and I remember it breaking ground in 1999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
1994, and it also gained 10 feet in height with the cover for the utilities on the roof. Four years earlier, my favorite facelift happened on the Dobie Center when they removed the brick for glass. One other major facelift was done to 816 Congress Ave.. and then later a rooftop terrace was added, I don't know the dates when they occurred, but the original exterior to 816 Congress was horrible. I think these were the only major facelifts downtown unless someone can think of another other than the recent total paint makeovers to 823 Congress and the Hilton.
There were a few others, but yeah, those were the big ones. 800 Brazos, which used to be the Commodore Perry Hotel, was remodeled and repainted and turned into Brazos Place. There as also the Perry-Brooks Building, which had its red brick covered up with what I'm guessing is aluminum panels.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:57 PM

So many parking lots!

I'm amazed that the focus of highrise development was so far north (relatively) on Congress. You'd think that Town Lake frontage -- even before Y2K -- would've been worth more than something midway between the Congress Bridge and the capitol. Since it was before my time: was that part of DT undesirable, or crime ridden, or etc?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 1:33 PM
World Traveler

What year were the Silicon Labs buildings built?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 2:27 PM

I remember when the Norwood Tower was the tallest building downtown besides the Capitol & UT Tower.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
So many parking lots!

I'm amazed that the focus of highrise development was so far north (relatively) on Congress. You'd think that Town Lake frontage -- even before Y2K -- would've been worth more than something midway between the Congress Bridge and the capitol. Since it was before my time: was that part of DT undesirable, or crime ridden, or etc?
In a word - yes! It was a fairly decrepit warehouse district. In later years it hosted a few clubs such as Liberty Lunch, but it also had rats, prostitutes and an open drug market. Sinclair Black pioneered 'The Warehouse Entertainment District' when he purchased the vacant lot that is now Cedar Street Courtyard and the two buildings either side in the 1980s. It eventually spread from there, but until the City redeveloped its properties along 2nd Street and invested in new infrastructure, it was not the development hotspot it is today.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:39 PM

Twenty years ago downtown looked like that...So what actually started the downtown residence boom?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
That building was built in 1974, but it was reclad in 1994.

I think this photo is from the spring of 1999. This was before all of the development along 2nd Street in 2000 and 2001, and the City Hall in 2004. I can see the site was cleared for 300 West Sixth, and I remember it breaking ground in 1999.

There were a few others, but yeah, those were the big ones. 800 Brazos, which used to be the Commodore Perry Hotel, was remodeled and repainted and turned into Brazos Place. There as also the Perry-Brooks Building, which had its red brick covered up with what I'm guessing is aluminum panels.
You are absolutely right. I was absolutely wrong. My logic was completely backwards.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
Twenty years ago downtown looked like that...So what actually started the downtown residence boom?
Brazos Lofts, Avenue Lofts, and Railyard were some of what I would consider the first builds that led into the trend of more downtown residences. I remember my friend went to look at a Brazos Loft unit ~2001, and ~$220,000 seemed like a lot of money to me for a unit. If only I had known what would happen.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_jeremy View Post
Brazos Lofts, Avenue Lofts, and Railyard were some of what I would consider the first builds that led into the trend of more downtown residences. I remember my friend went to look at a Brazos Loft unit ~2001, and ~$220,000 seemed like a lot of money to me for a unit. If only I had known what would happen.
I'd imagine the price of a condo in the Independent would get you a city block back in '99

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury6 View Post
I believe then Mayor Kirk Watson had started revitalizing downtown agendas which included having 20K + residents eventually living downtown. I think he got the ball rolling on the residential boom.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:

Yea I'll quickly point out that the UT football stadium has its upper east stands in this pic which were completed in 1998, so 1999ish was going to be my guess as well.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
what year were the silicon labs buildings built?
2000 - 2001.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 7:53 PM
Meh

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:00 PM

The Hilton was quite ambitious for its time.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
The Hilton was quite ambitious for its time.
Yes it was. Since the high rises downtown were rather sparse, that made this look humongous and a stand out. I worked downtown during the construction and was in awe of it, especially approaching from I35 from the north. Not to mention 800+ rooms was monumental at the time. Regardless of what the common opinion is of this building, I like it and will always view at as a one time game changer and an iconic landmark, imo... No one else was putting that much stock in the hospitality sector, even with the convention center downtown. That being said, I never said it was a thing of beauty. It was built during a time when function over substance really did come into play. Architecturally it a monolith so to speak.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 6:17 PM
World Traveler

Even now it serves its purpose well. It's quality infill now, and it's amazing to see that photo and think that many of those buildings are hidden behind larger, taller ones.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 7:08 PM
Meh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin