HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 18, 2009, 10:52 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
Not a chain store but did anyone else go to Malibu Grand Prix!!!! It was located off 35 between St. Johns and 183.... Celebration Station on the opposite side of motor mile!!! Used to frequent those places also!
I think it was a chain actually. But I went to both!

I had a birthday at Celebration Station. I remember it had an upstairs eating area, an inside that was pretty extensive, then an outdoor area with go karts and stuff.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 12:14 AM
Closed account

Austin's Park and Main Event are both better than either of those though. Too bad they're both in the extreme northern fringes of the city. May as well be Cedar Park and Round Rock.

Old Posted May 19, 2009, 12:55 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
Austin's Park and Main Event are both better than either of those though. Too bad they're both in the extreme northern fringes of the city. May as well be Cedar Park and Round Rock.
Yes they are but as you say it is too damn far out

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 12:49 PM

You guys are bringin back lot's of old memories!

I had completely forgoten about Handy Andy. Didn't they have a logo that kind of resembled Andy Capp the cartoon character? Speaking of hardware stores, anyone remember Homer's hardware? They had 2 stores, one on Ben White between S. Congress and S. 1st, I think the 2nd was on Burnet road somewhere.

Anyone remember Hancock Center back in it's heydey, I remember as a child we'd always go to Sears around Easter time and get free rabbit ear headgear!

Let's see what else. How about Oscar Snowden's? "If you didn't buy it from the big "O", I know, you paid, too much"!

Wasn't there a Gold Mine in Northcross Mall as well?

How about the Country Dinner Playhouse, out north on Burnet Road as I recall, later became Cardie's night club?

I remember well the Gibson's Department stores, haven't seen one of those in 25+ years!

How about Shakee's Pizza on North Lamar, near DPS headquarters. They had a huge Pipe Organ in there.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 4:31 PM

All I got to say is SHOWTIME PIZZA!!

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 5:25 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsa View Post
You guys are bringin back lot's of old memories!

I had completely forgoten about Handy Andy. Didn't they have a logo that kind of resembled Andy Capp the cartoon character? Speaking of hardware stores, anyone remember Homer's hardware? They had 2 stores, one on Ben White between S. Congress and S. 1st, I think the 2nd was on Burnet road somewhere.

Anyone remember Hancock Center back in it's heydey, I remember as a child we'd always go to Sears around Easter time and get free rabbit ear headgear!

Let's see what else. How about Oscar Snowden's? "If you didn't buy it from the big "O", I know, you paid, too much"!

How about the Country Dinner Playhouse, out north on Burnet Road as I recall, later became Cardie's night club?

I remember well the Gibson's Department stores, haven't seen one of those in 25+ years!

How about Shakee's Pizza on North Lamar, near DPS headquarters. They had a huge Pipe Organ in there.
I remember Oscar Snowden's - their building was where the Frost Tower is now.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:50 AM

Quote:
OK, speaking as a relatively very new Austinite (in my 4th year here), what exactly was in Northcross Mall, anyway, that people were supposedly so nostalgic about? Seeing it now, it's hard to imagine it as a real mall. It's just such a weirdass convention center/stripmall thing now. What were the anchor stores? Did it have department stores?

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 6:10 AM

Safeway at Riverside and Royal Crest - My parents shopped there. It's not a Bingo Parlor with Club Murder across the street.

Games Galaxy in the same shopping center - where I would go while my mom shopped - First in Austin to have Space Ace, Dragons Lair and Street fighter.

What was that arcade/put put golf/batting cage and skate rink called on Pleasant Valley? Sports Park?

Before Bergstrom AFB closed E. riverside was actually a destination.

Ace Hardware on Congress

Last edited by TXAlex; May 27, 2009 at 7:15 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
OK, speaking as a relatively very new Austinite (in my 4th year here), what exactly was in Northcross Mall, anyway, that people were supposedly so nostalgic about? Seeing it now, it's hard to imagine it as a real mall. It's just such a weirdass convention center/stripmall thing now. What were the anchor stores? Did it have department stores?
I don't specifically remember the anchors, but they were your typical anchors, Sears, JC Penny and the such. Giving away my age here but in the late 70's early 80's Northcross was a fairly happening place on Friday/Saturday nights.

Here's another one, does anyone remember the Flow Motion skateboard park? It was either on S1st or S. Congress and Ben White,

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 3:12 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
Northcross was starting to sag by the time I was old enough to remember, but my earliest memories were of a pretty "youth-friendly" mall. It had the ice skating rink and a pretty good arcade, and a lot of the stores were youth focused. It was also in the middle of town and easy to get to.

The size lent it a smaller town feel and it almost felt like a "mall set" from a low budget TV show or something.

On the other hand, the Village shopping center has never really seen a decline despite being kind of early 70's looking and ugly. Alamo Drafthouse essentially ensured that it would remain viable for some time to come. But I remember the days when Coco's Restaurant was still around, there was a Loehmann's and CompuAdd (a computer store and manufacturer) were still around as well. (And I'm only 26)

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 3:26 PM

Ah the Village.... I've been away from Austin for about 20 years now and don't get back there that often, somehow I assumed the Village had probably probably bull dozed by now. Surely the movie theatre is gone?

Last edited by txsa; May 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 3:41 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Ah the Villages.... I've been away from Austin for about 20 years now and don't get back there that often, somehow I assumed the Villages had probably probably bull dozed by now. Surely the movie theatre is gone?
That would be a logical thing to think, but surprisingly enough the Village is doing better than ever. The Village Cinema was run by Regal for a long time until Alamo turned it into a north location - I think they did some remodeling but nothing dramatic, I believe just new facilities for the food and new seats (the old Village seats were like sitting in a 1920's classroom). They were fairly conservative with their entry into the shopping center - they even redid the "VILLAGE CINEMA FOUR" to say "ALAMO" using the exact same original 1970's-era typeface (I was quite impressed with that, as Austin is so fond of sticking ugly new fonts on things, especially when paired with neo-metallic barn silo cupolas and other trendy architectural nonsense.) Ever since Alamo took over and the mall started declining, some new businesses have popped up and even some infill development has happened (there's an Office Depot a block away, and the Conn's and Walgreen's were carved out of the parking lot across the street). The Northwood (I believe that's what it's called) shopping center next door is still essentially the same as it was in the 80's - Star of India, Stein Mart, etc.

Northcross Mall itself aside, the area has benefited from the continued affluence of the nearby Northwest Hills neighborhood (and lack of shopping center development anywhere north of 2222 and west of Mopac) and the stability and gentrification of the neighborhoods just north and south of Anderson (Allandale has gotten marginally richer). Even the neighborhood to the east is much nicer than it used to be - all those streets with college names are so much more leafy and manicured than I remember them being a decade ago.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 8:27 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Northcross was starting to sag by the time I was old enough to remember, but my earliest memories were of a pretty "youth-friendly" mall. It had the ice skating rink and a pretty good arcade, and a lot of the stores were youth focused. It was also in the middle of town and easy to get to.

The size lent it a smaller town feel and it almost felt like a "mall set" from a low budget TV show or something.

On the other hand, the Village shopping center has never really seen a decline despite being kind of early 70's looking and ugly. Alamo Drafthouse essentially ensured that it would remain viable for some time to come. But I remember the days when Coco's Restaurant was still around, there was a Loehmann's and CompuAdd (a computer store and manufacturer) were still around as well. (And I'm only 26)
Wow, for being 26 you have an incredible and detailed memory of this city.
I completely forgot about Coco's... There were at least 2 or 3 other locations in town (290E & 35 , and 35 & Oltorf in south Austin). I think they were originally known as JoJo's

The Office Depot on Anderson was originally a US Post Office, which sat vacant for many years (having moved around the corner to Northcross Drive and Foster Lane in the early 90s).

Other stores within a 1-2 mile radius of Burnet and Anderson, in no particular order (many of which have already been discussed):

-Kinney's Shoes (next door to McDonald's)
-Edison's (mentioned earlier)
-Steak and Ale
-Del Taco (now a Whataburger)
-Monterrey House (Mexican restaurant chain, now a Waterloo Ice House)
-Miller's Outpost (Anderson and 183/Lamar)
-Sambo's Restuarant (absolutely true... a Billiards store now)...Anderson & Anderson Square
-Petco (also in the former Sambo's location)
-Wendy's, 183 and Ohlen (now an Arby's)
-Wendy's, Burnet at Rockwood (i think it was torn down... in front of Slick Willies)
-Burger King (on 183 just north of Lamar)
-Winn's (Grand Central Station shopping center)
-Kentucky Fried Chicken (183, just north of Ohlen)
-Tom Thumb (183 at Ohlen...now a Petsmart)
-Handy Dan (pre Home Depot home improvement center chain)
-Handy Andy (Burnet at Rockwood, later a Market Basket then a SteinMart, which remains today).
-Chi Chi's mexican restaurant (now an Olive Garden).
-Carl's Jr - Burnet at Greenlawn (now a Hill Bert's)
-Carl's Jr - Burnet at Rutland (now a Jack in the Box)
-Glastron Boats - Burnet at 183 (HUGE manufacturing facility and showroom, on the current site of Gold's Gym).
-Frisco Elecronics/McDuff Electronics (now a Cavendar's)
-Levitz Furniture (now a Furniture Row outlet)
-UR Cooks (now a Sherlock's)
-Lone Star Cafe (Crossroads center, 183 and Burnet)
-Sirloin Stockade steakhouse (183 and Peyton Gin)
-Kmart (183 and Peyton Gin)
-Sun Harvest Farms (original location, 183 and Peyton Gin)
-Skaggs Alpha Beta (183 and Ohlen...now a Famsa).
-Popeye's (183 and Anderson Square... torn down to make way for 183 expansion, late 80s i think)
-Bonanza Steakhouse (next door to Popeye's...ditto)
-Long John Silvers (183, just east of Anderson...also torn down to make way for 183 expansion)
-Western Sizzlin Steakhouse (about a block east of the Long John Silvers, now a Ninfa's?).
-Safeway (Burnet at Justin)
-Kroger's (Burnet Rd...current Ross location)
-Edge of Town nightclub (This goes WAY back when it literally was the edge of town...now a Harold's outlet barn, Mopac just S of 183).
-Bookstop (183 at Burnet...Crossroads Center)
-Whole Foods (ditto... moved to the Gateway center 183 at 360, in the mid 90s).
-Jack in the Box (Burnet at North Loop)
-Poncho's Meixcan Restaurant (Allendale Shopping Center, next to HEB)
-Revco Drug Store (Anderson at Rockwood)
-Wienerschnitzel (Burnet in front of Northcross Mall... now a Sonic)
-Long John Silvers (next door to Wienerschnitzel...torn down, now a Panda Express).
-Krispy Kreme (next door to Long John Silvers, now a Rug Store)
-Denny's (next door to Krispy Kreme ... recent closed)
-Aquarius movie theater (Hancock, just W of Burnet... now a city Library)
-Luby's (North Loop, just west of Burnet. Closed earlier this decade; now a Univision TV studio).
-Sound Warehouse (Burnet at 49th/Woodrow)

Just an FYI... The Target at 183 and Ohlen opened 30 years ago this summer (not quite old enough to remember though).

Ok, time to stop. In my mind I've just driven 30 miles up and down Burnet and Anderson Lanes. Time to get some gas at the Gulf station at Anderson and Rockwood

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:38 PM

Ah Sambo's, forgot about that one! Orange tiger was it not?

We had many a Sunday evening meal in that Luby's at Burnet/North Loop.

I believe you are correct, Coco's was originally called JoJo's.

During high school I worked part time at the IHOP that was in front of that Skaggs @183/Ohlen. Last time I drove by there, the IHOP was still there, that was years ago though.

Here's one for you guys, anyone remember Hal's Hamburgers on North Lamar near 183? Or, how about the Zuider Zee Seafood resteraunt, I believe is was on North Lamar near North Loop?

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 2:18 PM

Baskin Robbins on Guadelupe north of campus.

There were quite a few businesses bulldused for the freeway expansion that was never built in Oakhill.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 3:35 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post
Baskin Robbins on Guadelupe north of campus.

There were quite a few businesses bulldused for the freeway expansion that was never built in Oakhill.
I know exactly where you're talking about. Across from that car dealership right? That looks so strange now. I remember there were several plant nurseries along there because I went with my dad to a few of them. Those businesses' foundations are still there (I think). The parking lots certainly still are.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I know exactly where you're talking about. Across from that car dealership right? That looks so strange now. I remember there were several plant nurseries along there because I went with my dad to a few of them. Those businesses' foundations are still there (I think). The parking lots certainly still are.
There was a barbeque joint, a Taco Bell, those nurseries and laundry mat if I recall correctly. My wife says there was a skate rink where the park and ride now sits. There is quite a bit of concrete wasteland left and a couple of tailgate vendors who frequent.

Last edited by TXAlex; May 29, 2009 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 8:33 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers this, but a 6-story office building was demolished to clear the ROW for the (eventual) 290 freeway. As i recall, the building was only a few years old at the time. This was a few blocks west of the eventual Mopac/290 interchange. Here's a magazine ad for it, circa 1985:

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers this, but a 6-story office building was demolished to clear the ROW for the (eventual) 290 freeway. As i recall, the building was only a few years old at the time. This was a few blocks west of the eventual Mopac/290 interchange. Here's a magazine ad for it, circa 1985:

"We are building for the future" now that's funny! Where did you find that?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 3:46 AM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post
"We are building for the future" now that's funny! Where did you find that?
Oooold magazine. As a little kid, I would collect Austin business-related publications. This including "Austin Business Executive" magazine, which I believe is the source of that ad. (I was a strange kid... imagine an 8 year old buying that magazine....that was me).

While we're on the topic of former chain stores, there are several in this picture alone. This shot looks west down Ben White from I-35. All retail businesses on the north (right) side of the highway are long gone... Even the radio station advertised on that billboard is but a distant memory. In their place lies the Ben White freeway trench under 35:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin