HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
On the other hand, the city is doing quite well in terms of growth. I don't like him, but it could be worse.
Do you attribute the growth to the mayor? What growth exactly - population, GDP? I'm not sure if any growth can be attributed to anything the City does.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 2:54 AM
Heart of the Continent

You're probably right, I was simply playing devil's advocate.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2009, 10:29 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Do you attribute the growth to the mayor? What growth exactly - population, GDP? I'm not sure if any growth can be attributed to anything the City does.
Yes Population... the best it has been in decades

Yes GDP .. consistantly among the top GDP growth cities in the nation the last number of years.

Of course it can be partially attributed to the leadership. Business taxes have come down, red tape slashed and a business friendly atmosphere has be adopted. Companies are investing and upgrading. In addition major infrastructure projects are set to begin including Route 90 expansion, rapid transit and the massive global transportation hub (Centreport Canada).

Yes there is alot of room for improvement, but overall I feel Winnipeg is definately on the right path.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 4:04 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Yes Population... the best it has been in decades

Yes GDP .. consistantly among the top GDP growth cities in the nation the last number of years.

Of course it can be partially attributed to the leadership. Business taxes have come down, red tape slashed and a business friendly atmosphere has be adopted. Companies are investing and upgrading. In addition major infrastructure projects are set to begin including Route 90 expansion, rapid transit and the massive global transportation hub (Centreport Canada).

Yes there is alot of room for improvement, but overall I feel Winnipeg is definately on the right path.
But Katz has actually done very little in terms of his leadership. Our growth began before he took office anyway and frankly , as much as I'm loathe to admit it , it probably has far more to do with the NDP's policies than anything the city itself has done. We're still a high tax , low cash , blue-collar working town relative to the rest of this country's cities and that's pretty much always been the case. Katz has probably reinforced the notion that the city is open for business but it's highly debatable that he's actually done anything concrete to lure them in otherwise.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I hoe the momentum can be maintained to keep it going down the right path. It seems like there has been an overload of new retail in the Winnipeg over the last number 5-10 years and I have to wonder how it's all being supported.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 4:11 AM
BANNED

Pent up demand! Retail in the city is simply being brought in line with the population. Spending in the city has always been steady, and while sales are down elsewhere, they remain strong in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 5:28 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
But Katz has actually done very little in terms of his leadership. Our growth began before he took office anyway and frankly , as much as I'm loathe to admit it , it probably has far more to do with the NDP's policies than anything the city itself has done. We're still a high tax , low cash , blue-collar working town relative to the rest of this country's cities and that's pretty much always been the case. Katz has probably reinforced the notion that the city is open for business but it's highly debatable that he's actually done anything concrete to lure them in otherwise.
The city business tax has been reduced by 20% and the amount of red tape at city hall has also been greatly reduced. This alone has drawn attention to the city where it was once ignored by many as it has been viewed as anti-business. The GDP growth has continued and has resulted in a significant broadening of the tax base. The investment environment has greatly improved in the city since he has took over the mayor's position.

Of course Katz has promised time and time again that he'll eliminate the city business tax, as it is a second property tax on the business community. If he does this he will go down as one of the greatest mayors in Winnipeg's history IMO, but he has alot of work to get there.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 9:01 PM

Moved to "Winnipeg Retail Thread"

Last edited by Mininari; Jan 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 9:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

whys this in the ikea thread?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 4:52 PM

Any updates on the IKEA site recently? I was by that area recently, the expansion to the roads there is coming along nicely

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 10:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

u know more then me i don't go down to that end of town very often

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 8:45 PM

They've made good progress on implementing this:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/planning/...provements.pdf

I imagine sewer and servicing work is advanced for the Ikea site, but no signs of any excavation or pile-driving yet... anyone know approximately when this is to start?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 12:09 AM
Youth of a Nation

That is interesting those turning lanes. I have seen those in Stienbach.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 3:53 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
They've made good progress on implementing this:
http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/planning/...provements.pdf

I imagine sewer and servicing work is advanced for the Ikea site, but no signs of any excavation or pile-driving yet... anyone know approximately when this is to start?
Only in Winnipeg would an at-grade intersection of that size be built.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 4:41 PM
I am a typical

It's almost a SPUI!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Only in Winnipeg would an at-grade intersection of that size be built.
Not true. They have those kinds of intersection in Alberta, precisely Edmonton and Calgary. I think I may have even seen them in BC and Ontario as well in the larger centres.

With that said, it is my opinion that this should have been an interchange.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:31 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Not true. They have those kinds of intersection in Alberta, precisely Edmonton and Calgary. I think I may have even seen them in BC and Ontario as well in the larger centres.
I challenge you to find one in Calgary.

Last edited by h0twired; Jul 30, 2010 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I challenge you to fine one in Calgary.
How about on Crowchild Trail at Nose Hill Dr.? There were massive turning lanes separated from the thru traffic lanes in each direction. Same for other intersections along Crowchild north of where the freeway portion ends.

Or on Mcknight Blve onto 52nd Street from what I recall? Again, several others on Mcknight also stand out as massive.

The list goes on for both Edmonton and Calgary. Winnipeg never had any such kind of intersections before the IKEA complex, but they have been common in other parts of the country.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:58 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
How about on Crowchild Trail at Nose Hill Dr.? There were massive turning lanes separated from the thru traffic lanes in each direction. Same for other intersections along Crowchild north of where the freeway portion ends.

Or on Mcknight Blve onto 52nd Street from what I recall? Again, several others on Mcknight also stand out as massive.

The list goes on for both Edmonton and Calgary. Winnipeg never had any such kind of intersections before the IKEA complex, but they have been common in other parts of the country.
Crowchild @ Nose Hill = interchange

Crowchild past Nose Hill (ie Stoney) is also being converted to an interchange. After that you are outside of the city limits.

McKnight @ 52nd is bigger but still a far cry from the number of lanes for the RT 90 @ IKEA intersection.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Crowchild @ Nose Hill = interchange

Crowchild past Nose Hill (ie Stoney) is also being converted to an interchange. After that you are outside of the city limits.

McKnight @ 52nd is bigger but still a far cry from the number of lanes for the RT 90 @ IKEA intersection.
Maybe some are interchanged now, but my point remains that large scale at-grade intersections are not only a Winnipeg phenomenon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan