Palos Verdes
Malibu
Thousand Oaks
Studio City

Southern/Coastal Orange County

Palm Springs to Palm Desert

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 6:30 PM
if I sang out of tune

Wentworth, surrounding the historic golf course for the nouveaux riches style palatial pad. These are only about $5 million.

https://www.google.com/search?client...uact=5#imgrc=_

For town houses - much smaller -it's still multiple times more expensive than suburban, leafy mansions.

Mayfair for old money usurped by new

https://www.e-architect.co.uk/london...mayfair-london

$42 million:

Knightsbridge for Arab royalty

Kensington for Eurodollars and more Arabs

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/un...ngton-chelsea/, www.mountgrangeheritage.co.uk

https://bestgapp.co.uk/news/brief-hi...th-kensington/

Chelsea for minor millionaires (these cottages are $5m a pop, the stucco rowhome $20/30m but usually subdivided into tiny luxury apartments). A village atmosphere in the centre

Clerkenwell if you're a hip, bright young thing in your forties and in the media probably - once the world's most expensive ground this-ex industrial area is a mass of conversions and lofts nowadays, right next to the financial district. It's the closest ANYONE gets to live in the medieval boundaries of The City unless you want the million dollar luxuries of the Barbican brutalist estate.

Outside:

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshar...on_ec1/2993450, https://www.gea-ltd.co.uk/turnmill-building.html

Inside:

https://www.theresident.co.uk/homes-...all3_5124_013/, https://www.wowhaus.co.uk/tag/industrial-conversion/

And the royal Parks (Kensington, Hyde, Regents, St James, Green) for the international elite, anywhere from Nigeria to India, aka Billionaire's Row. Many of these pictured below have been found to be empty and rotting inside, being used as remote investments:

www.guardian.co.uk

Ultimately...

St James for old money and British aristocracy. These small buildings and apartments are actually worth more than the billionaires mansions. Once again a village atmosphere - if your fellow villagers had choppers and lived in ornate stone mansion blocks:

This little number for example is $33million:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-76006889.html

Whilst a rowhome here (every 5 windows along is a new house) would set you back an estimated $200 million, though they NEVER come onto the market. The dynasties who live here don't need more money.

https://www.picfair.com/pics/0186140...-house-terrace

Last edited by muppet; Dec 26, 2019 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 7:26 PM

^^^^^^

On my First trip to London, in 1981, I witnessed a knockout illustration of wealth/cosmopolitism in that city.

Walking in Knightsbridge, I saw a young princess from one of the Gulf states walking with her retinue of female servants all in long flowing silk robes, and the princess wearing a massive gold mask. Quite a stunner, in spite of her anonimity.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 7:58 PM
if I sang out of tune

^blimmin eck. Nowadays they look like this, blending in effortlessly with your common man, yes:

www.alaraby.co.uk

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:00 AM

Wow! Quite a contrast.

On the same Eurotrip, I saw my first ever face tattoo in Paris of an older berber lady. Nowadays, they are a dime a dozen in my home town. Who'd known. Lol.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 4:54 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I thought Houston's favored quarter was due west. Isn't most wealth west of downtown?
Correct. If we were strictly looking at truly high income numbers and the direction in which you could go and encounter nothing but affluence, then it's pretty clearly along I-10 within a few miles of Buffalo Bayou all the way to the suburban fringe.

However the wealth does fan out to the southwest a little too. It starts around Rice and the Med Center and goes through the NIMBY, strictly residential zoned enclave municipalities of West University Park and Bellaire, then Meyerland(lots of jewish people there) and out towards Sugar Land. But it's not all expensive real estate, its broken up in between by Gulfton which is the hood and Sharpstown and Westbury which are meh.

There is also a high income area to the north, in The Woodlands. However the north side of Houston also has some very poor and/or dangerous neighborhoods, and suburban areas in between like parts of Spring are mediocre. So it's very much the opposite of the favored quarter. Really I don't think Houston has as strong of a favored quarter geography except for due west. Instead its more like a series of rings. There's the downtown and gentrified core area, then a ring of older neighborhoods with problems and mediocre early postwar suburbs, then suburbs on the edge which are new. Going south is definitely like that, past the Med Center it gets really sketchy quick and everything in between 610 and the Beltway on the south side is run down 1950s era housing that was strongly affected by white flight. Then you hit Pearland and its new McMansion sprawl

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 6:10 AM
Dryer lint inspector

There's money in Kingwood too. Sandwiched between Porter and Humble (both fairly poor).

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 7:51 AM

There are homes on outer Broadway in San Francisco which is known a "Billionaire's Row" since not a few of those have homes here such as Oracle's Larry Ellison and the Getty (oil) heirs (and also Nancy Pelosi):

https://www.google.com/search?q=oute...4o4lgYJ6l9rTrM

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:18 PM

Detroit's favored quarter is a North/Northwest directional, but it isn't continuous from downtown thanks to segregation. The biggest concentration of wealth, by far, is Birmingham-Bloomfield-Franklin area. The second biggest is probably Northville-Novi area. Smaller pockets include the Pointes, Grosse Ile, Rochester, Huntington Woods.

60 years ago, the Pointes would have probably been the biggest concentration, and Northwest Detroit would probably be second.

This map is from 2000 Census, so slightly out date, but still reflects the general income distribution. I think the only major change would be that the Northville area (the dark pink blotch west of Detroit) would have grown, as that's probably the biggest concentration of new money mansions in the last few decades. And the West Dearborn wealth pocket might have shrunk or disappeared. But Birmingham-Bloomfield will likely remain the dominant wealth center for many lifetimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declin...an_Detroit.jpg

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 7:28 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

st. louis is a central corridor, hence central west end directly west to rolling horse country at about the missouri river.

claycorp.com

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 9:22 PM

In the Los Angeles Metro and maybe the greater LA area, wealth and affluence is more geographic than directional. It is both such as wealthier towards the coast in general than inland and deserts (mainly due to the type of higher paying jobs more available than far inland, but also the milder/cooler climate being closer to the ocean). But overall the vast majority of wealth is almost anywhere along the coastline especially oceanfront homes or within a mile or 2. Also, almost everywhere that is hilly to mountainous. I say almost, but even in poorest areas, the lower middle class and up would be in the hilly parts while the poorer would be in the flats but not super affluent or wealthy. I think it is mostly because hilly areas have narrow roads and are often dead ends thus keeping privacy. Also you cant build apartment blocks which is typical for poorer classes to rent while middle and up buy homes. Popular hilly areas are the Hollywood Hills, Bel Air, Beverly Hills, Woodland hills, Hidden Hills, Studio City, Tarzana, La Canada, San Marino, South Pasadena, Pasadena's hilly areas, Glendale and Burbank Hills, Porter Rance, Calabasas, Thousand Oaks, Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Rolling Hills, Palos Verdes, Baldwin Hills (aka Black Beverly Hills), Los Feliz, Chino Hills, Yorba Linda, Newport, Laguna, south OC hills,

These days poorer areas in the hills or near coastal areas have faster gentrification than the flat areas. Echo Park, Highland Park, Venice Beach, Silver Lake are some examples. But housing is scarce these days so people with money are buying almost anywhere these days they can afford often in the lowlands of the affluent areas.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 10:31 PM

Silver Lake and Venice Beach have been upscale/rich for a long time now.

Echo Park, Highland Park I agree. Both of these areas will be like Silver Lake in the 2020s.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 11:33 PM
if I sang out of tune

Love that St Louis building, so extra in a good way.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
There’s that little bubble in NJ from Haddonfield to Moorestown..
The NJ suburbs of Philadelphia have multiple very exclusive communities, including the two you mentioned. Traditionally the Philadelphia suburbs of Montgomery County are considered the ''old money'' towns, but I've done some research that suggests the communities in Camden and Burlington Counties, in a linear pattern reaching out from Philadelphia, actually have higher incomes.

For New York, wealth is pretty much everywhere. However, I think the NJ side of the river likely has a higher proportion of high worth individuals, as poverty on that side of the Hudson is isolated to a few areas. The list of upscale towns is pretty much endless. Every North Jersey county has tens of different exclusive towns. All with relative easy access to Manhattan when compared to Long Island, Westchester or Connecticut.

Maplewood NJ is also becoming quite quick with the people who are having kids and are tired of Brooklyn. This is happening all over in Northern NJ.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 7:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
For LA
The area bounded by the oblong corners of
Sierra Madre
Los Feliz
Miracle Mile
Palos Verdes
Malibu
Thousand Oaks
Studio City

Southern/Coastal Orange County

Palm Springs to Palm Desert
Aside from Malibu, South OC and pockets of Thousand Oaks & PV, I wouldn't consider the LA neighborhoods you listed to be affluent.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2019, 4:34 PM

In Stockholm, Sweden aswell as Gothenburg: the wealthiest areas are mainly in the inner-city core such as Östermalm in Stockholm.

Or in close distance to the city but in municipalities that are a part of the metro area. Mainly areas close to the water or archipelago, such as Djursholm in Danderyd, Stockholm.

Djursholm
Danderyds distrikt
https://maps.app.goo.gl/iUTzjE3RCDNB4ypW9

Strandvägen, östermalm
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VNzGTnbKQMZ6bqmq6

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 10:29 PM

Jewish and Chinese populations for the 13 highest income tracts in the GTA.

Jewish (2011 NHS)

1. Tract 86 (North Rosedale) 7%
2. Tract 266 (Hogg's Hollow) 18%
3. Tract 264 (Bridle Path) 13%
4. Tract 130 (Forest Hill) 39%
5. Tract 265 (Blythwood) 8%
6. Tract 87 (South Rosedale) 8%
7. Tract 89 (Yorkville) 20%
8. Tract 125 (Moore Park) 4%
9. Tract 119 (South Hill) 20%
10. Tract 140 (Lytton Park) 25%
11. Tract 602 (SE Oakville) <1%
12. Tract 229 (The Kingsway) <1%
13. Tract 138 (Lawrence Park) 5%

Chinese (2016 census)

1. Tract 86 (North Rosedale) 5%
2. Tract 266 (Hogg's Hollow) 17%
3. Tract 264 (Bridle Path) 26%
4. Tract 130 (Forest Hill) 6%
5. Tract 265 (Blythwood) 11%
6. Tract 87 (South Rosedale) 4%
7. Tract 89 (Yorkville) 11%
8. Tract 125 (Moore Park) 4%
9. Tract 119 (South Hill) 4%
10. Tract 140 (Lytton Park) 6%
11. Tract 602 (SE Oakville) 4%
12. Tract 229 (The Kingsway) 4%
13. Tract 138 (Lawrence Park) 6%

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 10:33 PM

So I assume the highest income GTA tracts are heavily WASP? Is Rosedale still very old-school WASP? Yorkville, too, might be WASP-leaning.

The newer high income tracts seem very Jewish and Chinese, which isn't surprising.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 11:05 PM

In Toronto, I'd say wealthy Asians bypass the older established wealthy disticts, which are basically a mix of WASPs and (non-Orthodox) Jews. Forest Hill is very Jewish (around 40%), Rosedale is still very WASPy. North of St. Clair, Avenue Rd. seems to be a rough boundary between the Jewish-heavy Bathurst Corridor and traditionally WASP Yonge St. Bathurst is the western edge of the high income corridor of Toronto.

York Mills is high class 1950s/1960s suburbia. A secondary Jewish concentration emerged around Bayview/Leslie, but it has become much more Asian in recent years.

As for Yorkville, probably fairly evenly split between WASPs and Jews.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 11:08 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
There are homes on outer Broadway in San Francisco which is known a "Billionaire's Row" since not a few of those have homes here such as Oracle's Larry Ellison and the Getty (oil) heirs (and also Nancy Pelosi):

https://www.google.com/search?q=oute...4o4lgYJ6l9rTrM
Yeah the northern third of the city of SF is probably one of the richest and poshest places in the world.

This house in Pacific Heights sits on a cramped 5,000 sqft lot and is $32 Million

This house in SeaCliff is sick af but it needs to be totally gutted from the inside out, and that landing to the private alcove needs to be rebuilt and brought up to code.

Marin County is like a mediterranean resort on the other side of the GGB.

Magnificent views everywhere...

This white Eduardian in Belvedere last went for $65M

Tiburon...

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions