HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 7:07 PM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks, guys! We've got a place picked out.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 1:06 PM

This thread seems to have dropped off. How about a kick in the pants to get it going again. There is lots of restaurant news happening.

Dirt turning in historic La Villita to recast plaza as culinary destination

https://sanantonioreport.org/la-vill...y-destination/

Limestone walls that for many years enclosed Maverick Plaza in La Villita are gone, and where a fountain and several structures once stood now heavy equipment and heaps of infill herald the start of a project city officials and others hope will make the area more welcoming. A rehabilitation project that began with the city seeking bids in 2016 got underway in August with construction to bring upgraded utilities to the historic site along with a new fountain, landscaping, pavers, and lighting.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 6:59 PM

Houston-based BB's Tex-Orleans now open in San Antonio’s Alamo Ranch neighborhood

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/arc...h-neighborhood

San Antonians wanting to laissez les bon temps rouler at BB's Tex-Orleans need wait no longer.

The Houston-based chain opened its first Alamo City location Monday, serving up crawfish and seafood boils, po'boys and other Louisiana fare — some delivered with with a Tex-Mex twist.

The Alamo Ranch-area dining spot is located at 5423 W. Loop 1604 North in a renovated building that formerly housed a Logan's Roadhouse.

BB's Tex-Orleans is open 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:08 PM

Longtime San Antonio eatery Tomatillos Cafe y Cantina leaving Broadway for Loop 1604

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/arc...longtime-san-a

For more than 25 years, Tomatillos Cafe y Cantina has served up generous portions of Tex-Mex fare with a side of festive atmosphere on Broadway just north of downtown.

But the fiesta is coming to an end — at least in its current location.

The SA staple's last day of business in its current spot will be Sunday, September 26, MySA reports. A representative for the restaurant confirmed plans for its move to 1827 N. Loop 1604 East, Suite 103, which previously housed seafood spot Sam's Boat.

Dallas-based investment group Briarwood Capital purchased Tomatillos' building in February of 2019, the San Antonio Business Journal reports. At that time, the company said it planned to redevelop the property into a new retail or mixed-use concept, but provided no additional details.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:11 PM

San Antonio's Burger Boy chain will locate new restaurant in Live Oak near IKEA store

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/arc...ear-ikea-store

Fast-growing San Antonio chain Burger Boy will open a sixth restaurant, this one in Live Oak near the city’s only IKEA location.

The purveyor of award-winning burgers, milkshakes and crinkle-cut fries announced plans in May to expand into Northeast San Antonio, but has remained mum on the new location.

That is, until it planted a sign identifying the empty parcel of land where it will build the new store. It's on Pat Booker Road just south of Loop 1604.

The new location will be on Pat Booker Road, just south of Loop 1604.
The Current reached out to Burger Boy for an update on construction plans and an opening date, but hasn't yet hear back at press time.

Another Burger Boy location on South New Braunfels is set to open this fall. There are currently four operating Burger Boy locations in San Antonio.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:12 PM

San Antonio's 4th Annual Fideo Loco Festival will celebrate the South Texas favorite November 6

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/arc...ite-november-6

Just in time for sweater weather, San Antonio’s Fideo Loco Festival will warm up local foodies with a Saturday, November 6 celebration of the beloved South Texas dish.

This year’s event will take place at Southside venue Brooster’s Backyard Icehouse from noon to 4 p.m. Along with samples of the comforting conglomeration of pasta, beans and picadillo, attendees will have access to market vendors, music and a full bar.

Tickets for the fourth annual iteration of the fest are available online ahead of time for $15, and for $20 the day of the event. Admission includes entrance and unlimited fideo samples. Kids 12 and under will be admitted for free but won't be able to sample food without a ticket.

The first 100 online tickets sold also will include a token allowing the attendee to vote for their favorite version of the dish. That winner will receive the festival's People's Choice title.

Organizers are accepting applications for cook-off teams and vendors until October 15.

Brooster’s Backyard is located at 815 Pleasanton Road

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:18 PM

San Antonio beer joint Brooster’s Backyard says it will open South Side multi-sport complex

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/arc...-sport-complex

Southside family-friendly spot Brooster’s Backyard Icehouse plans to open a multi-sport venue, according to its a weekend social media announcement.

“Did you know Brooster's is opening a multi-sport complex here on the Southside?” the business posted Saturday on Facebook. “It will be complete with Softball, Sand Volleyball, Pickleball, Badminton, Horseshoes, Cornhole and of course a HUGE Stage.”

Details are sparse so far, but the Current has reached out to Brooster's representatives for more info on the specific location and opening date.

Brooster's, located at 815 Pleasanton Road, opened for business in May of last year.

Looks like this where Fideo festival in November will be at.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:24 PM

Love me some P Terry's. I remember going to the first location a few days after they opened 16 years ago. Never stopped going. I'm glad to see them expanding into San Antonio so much.

The start of P. Terry's San Antonio expansion in Medical Center

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/re...r-16271656.php

By July, P. Terry's first San Antonio location will be fired up in Medical Center, marking a milestone for the 16-year-old Austin burger brand.

P. Terry's Burger Stand restaurant is now open in San Antonio near the Medical Center

https://www.expressnews.com/food/res...n-16302312.php

P. Terry’s Burger Stand, the Austin-based burger chain that’s made a name for itself with fresh beef, handcut fries and low prices, has opened its first San Antonio location. The chain’s distinctive flying wedge design with a double drive-thru can be found on Wurzbach Road in the Medical Center area.

CEO: 10 To 12 P. Terry’s Locations Planned For San Antonio; Ready To Battle Whataburger, In-N-Out And Others

https://www.ktsa.com/ceo-10-to-12-p-...aburger-burger

“We have a very unique model for our business: we have a commissary model. So we have a centralized industrial kitchen, commercial kitchen, where we do a lot of our cooking and preparation of fresh products in that commissary on a daily basis. Every night, we send our route trucks out — we own our own trucks, have our own drivers — and they go out and deliver to the restaurants on a daily basis. I should say nightly, before we open the next day.”

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 4:07 AM

San Antonio’s far North Side to gain Texas comfort food staple Kerbey Lane Cafe

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/arc...rbey-lane-cafe

Folks looking for a taste of hearty comfort food may soon have one more spot to frequent: longtime Austin staple Kerbey Lane Cafe has set its sights on the Alamo City for a future expansion.

Regulatory filings show a San Antonio location of the restaurant is planned for 5515 N. Loop 1604 West, near Velvet Taco and Andretti Indoor Karting and Games, news site MySA reports. The comfort food enterprise currently operates locations in Austin and Round Rock and also has an upcoming San Marcos location.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 6:13 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Longtime San Antonio eatery Tomatillos Cafe y Cantina leaving Broadway for Loop 1604

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/arc...longtime-san-a

For more than 25 years, Tomatillos Cafe y Cantina has served up generous portions of Tex-Mex fare with a side of festive atmosphere on Broadway just north of downtown.

But the fiesta is coming to an end — at least in its current location.

The SA staple's last day of business in its current spot will be Sunday, September 26, MySA reports. A representative for the restaurant confirmed plans for its move to 1827 N. Loop 1604 East, Suite 103, which previously housed seafood spot Sam's Boat.

Dallas-based investment group Briarwood Capital purchased Tomatillos' building in February of 2019, the San Antonio Business Journal reports. At that time, the company said it planned to redevelop the property into a new retail or mixed-use concept, but provided no additional details.
I wish Tomatillos would depart for the moon instead. Incredibly mediocre. Extremely interested to see what this Dallas developer has in mind for the space though.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I wish Tomatillos would depart for the moon instead. Incredibly mediocre. Extremely interested to see what this Dallas developer has in mind for the space though.
I remember in the 90s when Tomatillos was actually really good. There was a nice young woman that once worked. I was seven then and I'm sure I probably had a crush on her. But once she finished Med School, she moved with her fiance to Houston. I haven't been there in nearly 12 years since she left. The only downside to that place was that smoking was still allowed in the bar area. There also once was a Sea Food restaurant across the street. Now there's a Whataburger there. That's how long ago it was.

In 2013, I ate there with some co-workers and the food was indeed mediocre at best. It was just...bland and inauthentic. I felt like I was eating Tex/Mex in a state like Indiana or Tennesee (no offense to people living there but the closer to the border you are, the better the Tex/Mex food). I have no idea how Tomatillos has lasted this long when there are so many better options. Plus, they ruined the original look of the restaurant when they painted over it with beige and lime green. Tomatillos once had dark-red bricks and wall paintings outside depicting matadors and dancers.

I guess I'm just being nostalgic. Nothing lasts forever. That's just the way it goes.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
San Antonio’s far North Side to gain Texas comfort food staple Kerbey Lane Cafe

https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/arc...rbey-lane-cafe

Folks looking for a taste of hearty comfort food may soon have one more spot to frequent: longtime Austin staple Kerbey Lane Cafe has set its sights on the Alamo City for a future expansion.

Regulatory filings show a San Antonio location of the restaurant is planned for 5515 N. Loop 1604 West, near Velvet Taco and Andretti Indoor Karting and Games, news site MySA reports. The comfort food enterprise currently operates locations in Austin and Round Rock and also has an upcoming San Marcos location.
As a former Austinite I couldn't be more excited to see a Kerbey Lane in San Antonio! So many great memories of hitting up Kerbey in it's old location off of 183 (RIP) late at night after attending shows. Will be a great addition to SA.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 10:23 PM

I love P. Terry's.

Austin's P. Terry’s Burger Stand to open fourth San Antonio location as part of breakneck expansion

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=27503006

As part of its aggressive Alamo City expansion, Austin-based P. Terry’s Burger Stand will open its fourth location here in less than a year, news site MySA reports.

After opening its first store in San Antonio just four months ago, the chain has its sights set on future locations including stores in Stone Oak and near the Blanco Road-Loop 1604 intersection. The latest will be on the far West Side at Potranco and Loop 1604, CEO Todd Coerver told MySA.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 11:52 PM

Longtime San Antonio Tex-Mex eatery Tomatillos Cafe has reopened on the North Side

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=27596273

Tomatillos Cafe y Cantina has completed its relocation from San Antonio's Broadway corridor to the far North Side, MySA reports.

The longtime Tex-Mex staple occupied a rented space on Broadway north of downtown for nearly 25 years before making the move. It reopened Tuesday at 1827 N. Loop 1604 East, Suite 103, and is now serving.

Tomatillos announced the closure in late September, but didn't state a reason at the time. MySA now reports that its lease at the original location was up.

The new restaurant is open Monday through Thursday 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11 a.m.-11 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m.-8 p.m.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 11:53 PM

San Antonio-based Whataburger among 27 fastest-growing restaurant chains in U.S.

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=27588999

Whataburger’s recent multi-state growth has landed it on Quick Service Magazine’s list of the 27 Fastest-Growing Quick-Service Chains in America.

The beloved San Antonio-based burger enterprise clocks in at No. 22 on the publication's annual roundup.

The list gives a detailed look at the growth of American quick-service chains, diving into stats such as each company's systemwide sales and its growth in new stores.

In Whataburger’s case, the company operated 844 restaurants in 2020 and grew its footprint by 14 despite COVID-related delays and restrictions. It currently operates 867 locations in the U.S., 703 of them in the Lone Star State.

Last year, Whataburger's sales totaled $2.7 billion.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 11:55 PM

Pluckers Wing Bar to open third San Antonio location near North Star Mall in January

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=27588701

Texas-based wing chain Pluckers will open its third Alamo City location early next year, gaining a foothold in the North Star Mall area. The new store will open in late January at 92 NE Loop 410, in a former Logan's Roadhouse space, according to company officials.

The opening expands Pluckers’ brick-and-mortar footprint in Central Texas to 26 stores. The chain also operates four outlets inside major sports arenas in Texas and Louisiana.

While wing lovers and fans of the chain’s fried pickles, burgers and bacon-wrapped hot dogs wait for its new eatery, they can indulge at either of its existing local spots. One is located at 15651 Interstate 10 in Northwest San Antonio, and the other is at 14881 Interstate 35 North in Selma.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 5:01 PM

Hard to realize this change,

Must admit, that at first glance when I read of the Limestone walls coming down @LaVillta- King Kirby, I was in vehement disagreement with that move. (How could they I was thinking?) I was taken aback by the entire idea of this.
However after I saw the artists rendering of how the changes would look when complete down there I had to admit, realize, that this entire project was one heck of an improvement. The new fountain looked great! New restaurants!
This IS , seems, to be a vast improvement alright. Huge! I will surely visit the place again. I can't wait actually. A beautiful addition to downtown.

Quote:
This thread seems to have dropped off. How about a kick in the pants to get it going again. There is lots of restaurant news happening.

Dirt turning in historic La Villita to recast plaza as culinary destination

https://sanantonioreport.org/la-vill...y-destination/

Limestone walls that for many years enclosed Maverick Plaza in La Villita are gone, and where a fountain and several structures once stood now heavy equipment and heaps of infill herald the start of a project city officials and others hope will make the area more welcoming. A rehabilitation project that began with the city seeking bids in 2016 got underway in August with construction to bring upgraded utilities to the historic site along with a new fountain, landscaping, pavers, and lighting.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forward looking View Post
Must admit, that at first glance when I read of the Limestone walls coming down @LaVillta- King Kirby, I was in vehement disagreement with that move. (How could they I was thinking?) I was taken aback by the entire idea of this.
However after I saw the artists rendering of how the changes would look when complete down there I had to admit, realize, that this entire project was one heck of an improvement. The new fountain looked great! New restaurants!
This IS , seems, to be a vast improvement alright. Huge! I will surely visit the place again. I can't wait actually. A beautiful addition to downtown.
La Villita needs to be a mirror copy of Seaport Village in San Diego. Tourist shops, restaurants, street performers and artists makes it a nice place to hang out.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2022, 7:52 PM

Detroit-style pizza chain Via 313 to open first San Antonio location this spring

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=27964502

Austin-based pizza chain Via 313 will bring its Motor City-inspired take on pizza to the Alamo City this spring, the Express-News reports.

Via 313 will open its first SA location in late March at 8435 Wurzbach Road in the city’s Medical Center area, the daily reports.

For those unfamiliar, Detroit-style pizza features a square shape and deep-dish base, piled with cheese and other toppings — but not tomato sauce. It's baked until the edges are crispy, and once out of the oven, the sauce is finally ladled on.

Via 313 will also offer salads, appetizers and desserts, along with “bar-style pizzas,” which feature extra-thin and crispy round crusts.

The company started in 2011 with a single food trailer, but the Express-News reports it's since grown into three restaurants and two trailers in Austin, along with a store in Utah.

Detroit-style pizza is the best style pizza.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 10:31 PM

North Carolina-based fried chicken chain Bojangles set to open San Antonio stores

https://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio...t?oid=27972111

Fried chicken and biscuit chain Bojangles is stepping up its Lone Star State expansion, including its first San Antonio stores.

In June of 2021, the Charlotte, North Carolina-based company announced its North Texas debut. Now, it's expanding further into Texas, planning 50 restaurants between the Austin, DFW, Houston and Alamo City markets in the coming years, the San Antonio Business Journal reports.

Bojangles plans to open locations in Northeast San Antonio as part of that push, though it hasn't set a timeline, SABJ reports. The fried chicken giant currently operates in 14 states, and will open its first Texas stores in Plano, Allen and McKinney.

The first Bojangles location opened in 1977 in Charlotte. The chain serves up fried yardbird in numerous applications, including sandwiches, strips and salads.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio