HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 11:44 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
That's probably true for bus and taxi.

For driving, downtown is LEAST convenient. I had to pay my ex's speeding ticket after loaning her the car. I'd rather spend an extra 10-15 minutes going to an office in the suburbs with ample free parking, than spend an extra 10-15 minutes roaming one-way streets downtown looking for a parking spot that not only do I have to pay for, but I have to arrange ahead of time to have the proper change for.

For walking and cycling, the downtown is no more in range for most people than any suburban location. And your bicycle is safer at a suburban location.

^^ This. I love to cycle in the summer but my bike does not leave my sight if I am not on it.

Leaving a bike downtown? Forget it.

Last edited by Riverman; Oct 29, 2015 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
... all but a tiny handful of people are going to have to drive/bus/walk/bike/taxi/etc. to get there...
Esquire must know about some new form of mobility/transportation that we're not yet privy to

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 2:12 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Esquire must know about some new form of mobility/transportation that we're not yet privy to
This is how I get around, man. Environmentally friendly and cheaper parking

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:

I had to pay my ex's speeding ticket after loaning her the car. I'd rather spend an extra 10-15 minutes going to an office in the suburbs with ample free parking, than spend an extra 10-15 minutes roaming one-way streets downtown looking for a parking spot that not only do I have to pay for, but I have to arrange ahead of time to have the proper change for.

And your bicycle is safer at a suburban location.
I think we can both agree that your first example, someone heading downtown and receiving a ticket for speeding is purely anecdotal. Lack of familiarity in an area, not knowing where red-light cameras are situated could happen anywhere. I find it more likely to happen in a suburban setting with un-marked vehicles with ample space and distance to set up their speed trap more efficiently, in the core?, much more difficult to accomplish and less profitable.

Parking again is a familiarity issue. Go to the nearest parkade, drive in, 1hour later drive out. Pay using debit, CC or actual currency, I never carry loonies or toonies, but yes, a suburban, strip mall allows you to park free.

Bicycle's and theft? Much, much easier to steel a bike in a quiet suburban setting, ie: garage, backyard etc.. Quiet, carry needed tools(ie: bolt cutters, much more difficult in the core than a quieter less frequented area). Proper anti-theft devices and some vigilance required any where you go.

Last edited by Cyro; Oct 29, 2015 at 5:18 PM. Reason: grammatical issue...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I think we can both agree that your first example, someone heading downtown and receiving a ticket for speeding is purely anecdotal.

its like saying i'm not going to 7Eleven anymore, every time i try to shoplift i get caught on camera!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 5:37 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
I think we can both agree that your first example, someone heading downtown and receiving a ticket for speeding is purely anecdotal.
She received the ticket elsewhere. Paying it there would have been easy. But no, it had to be paid on Broadway downtown.

Quote:
Parking again is a familiarity issue. Go to the nearest parkade, drive in, 1hour later drive out.
The local areas was all street parking, or an Impark type lot. Everything nearby was full - I drove around (and around and around) long enough to check. I had to keep driving around until I lucked out to find an empty parking spot. And I had to make a side-trip to get change before hand. Had a parkade been available, I likely would have had a minimum $9 fee.

It's not a matter of familiarity. I used to live in the area.

But then in the suburbs, you don't need familiarity. You don't need change. If the office is in a strip mall, the free parking is right there. If not, the free parking is no further than the nearest side street.

Quote:
Bicycle's and theft? Much, much easier to steel a bike in a quiet suburban setting,
Ah, but I have to deal with the real world...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 6:21 PM

Quote:

it had to be paid on Broadway downtown.

-- Ah. clarification to posts is helpful. Yes you would have to attend the broadway location after letting unpaid tickets lapse, or want to dipute the tickets validity. (CC via internet is easiest)

---------------------------

The local areas was all street parking, or an Impark type lot. Everything nearby was full - I drove around (and around and around) long enough to check. I had to keep driving around until I lucked out to find an empty parking spot. And I had to make a side-trip to get change before hand. Had a parkade been available, I likely would have had a minimum $9 fee.

--Yes, I've attended the location when having to appear when individuals wanted to dispute a CON I issued them. Similar to the Law Courts building to testify in court. I'd make arrangements and plan it out accordingly. IF your plans do include an 6 hour stop in the core area, It may cost you $6-8 to fight a ie: $200 speeding ticket in person. It would be cheaper in a strip mall but most of the services both municipal and government,(justice related), are located in the core. De-Centralizing them doesn't make much sense.

If the office is in a strip mall, the free parking is right there.
-- Yes I mentioned this in my first post and my 2nd post

Ah, but I have to deal with the real world...
- Your going to have to explain this, I haven't the slightest idea what your getting at reg: the frequency of theft(bikes) urban vs. suburban ? and what real world you are talking about?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:27 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I had to pay my ex's speeding ticket after loaning her the car. I'd rather spend an extra 10-15 minutes going to an office in the suburbs with ample free parking, than spend an extra 10-15 minutes roaming one-way streets downtown looking for a parking spot that not only do I have to pay for, but I have to arrange ahead of time to have the proper change for.
Something isn't adding up here.

Why not pay online, or over the phone, mail in a cheque?

Unless you are fighting it, there is no reason to go in person to pay a ticket, and if you are fighting it, you should absolutely expect to do this downtown.

Also, from personal experience - ALWAYS fight photoradar tickets. I don't how much you need to pay for parking. It's worth it.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Why not pay online, or over the phone, mail in a cheque?
No online/phone option was listed. The only option on the one-page notice was to pay downtown on Broadway.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:39 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
No online/phone option was listed. The only option on the one-page notice was to pay downtown on Broadway.
OK - so this is unusual. What kind of ticket was this?

I am not trying to pry, but for the vast majority of tickets, you have methods of paying that don't include in person, and with exact change.

If this is an unusual ticket, with special circumstances, this is hardly the argument to be using for decentralizing services to the suburbs.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
OK - so this is unusual. What kind of ticket was this?
She was going east on Grant and missed the speed reduction after crossing route 90. (I'm not 100% certain of this. The exact location wasn't given, but I found a spot on Google Streetview similar to the low quality photo on the notice.)

There may very well have been other payment methods available, but only making the payment on Broadway was mentioned on the notice.

They did not require exact change. Ample change was needed for parking, more than I would normally have on me. (I VERY rarely use cash in recent years. This was either spring 2011 or 2012.)

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:36 PM

Quote:
They did not require exact change. Ample change was needed for parking, more than I would normally have on me. (I VERY rarely use cash in recent years. This was either spring 2011 or 2012.)
You can just swipe your credit card at parking meter... it's gloriously convenient compared to the old days of having to have loonies or quarters to feed the meter.

But that said, I can understand that parking downtown can be a bit daunting for those unfamiliar with the area. People in that situation are probably best off just pulling into a manned parkade.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:39 PM

Here is the link for paying fines or traffic tickets, including the options of in person, online, or mail.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/justice/fines/pmt.html

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:41 PM

considering thats your only gripe in the last 3-4 years then thats not all that bad!

but you didnt need to go down there
https://www.gov.mb.ca/justice/fines/pmt.html

bumping the original thread....whats next until we know if this project is a go?? Last i remember was a local firm was doing foundation design.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:42 PM

Quote:

But that said, I can understand that parking downtown can be a bit daunting for those unfamiliar with the area. People in that situation are probably best off just pulling into a manned parkade.
This was already covered in an earlier post:

Quote:

It's not a matter of familiarity. I used to live in the area.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:54 AM

Quote:
This is how I get around, man. Environmentally friendly and cheaper parking

hahaha

awesome

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 7:07 PM

We're getting pretty close to a possible announcement of the tenant for the 9-storey building (on the former Carlton Inn site)... it was about a month and a half ago that Longboat said it was getting close to wrapping up a deal for that space with an announcement expected in 60 days.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:31 PM

^ Any idea on possible tenants?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:33 PM
surely you agree with me

I've heard the hotel announcement is imminent.

Last edited by Cyro; Nov 11, 2015 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 8:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I've heard the hotel announcement is imminent.
Gary Bettman pun?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan