HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 3:38 AM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post

With as many championships the Cowboys have one, I just can't be a Cowboys fan. I'm a Houston homer. Any Houston sports team, I'm a fan of it. Cowboy fans just drive me wild.
That's because we Cowboy fans own the state. America's Team

Congratulations San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 3:40 AM

I hate the Cowboys (with a passion), but I wouldn't mind an all Texas Super Bowl.

Congratulations San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 3:41 AM

I hate the Cowboys (with a passion), but I wouldn't mind an all Texas Super Bowl.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 3:56 AM
Bears of antiquity

The cavs fans booed!

Ahahaha

DYNASTY!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 4:00 AM

I can't believe they were booing. LeBron pretty much cost them the game at the end. Terrible mistakes on his part. I was listening to the radio this morning, and there are still people trying to say the Spurs aren't a dynasty because they haven't won titles back to back. I don't agree with that. Four titles out of nine years is good!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 4:01 AM

Yes, 4 championships in 9 years is a good run, but Spurs basketball will always be bland to me.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 4:03 AM
Bears of antiquity

It's like tank destruction-- none of the flash and bang of an infantry invasion, but impressive and effective.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 4:06 AM

Eva Longoria is so fine:

http://www.adelaider.com/?thread=7297

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Eva Longoria is so fine:

Yeah, I went to school with her back in the day. She briefly dated one of my fraternity brothers at the time. She's had a lot of work done since then. But still nasty without the hair and makeup team behind her.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:09 AM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Eva Longoria is so fine:

DAMN straight!!! Good for Tony Parker. Finals MVP (he earned that shyt) and now hubby to Eva Longoria (Tapping that shyt). Seriously though, congrats to Spurs and their fans. I was stationed at Lackland AFB in San Antonio for 5 years and I must say you people in SanAntonio have plenty to be happy about. I'm sure you'll win couple more titles in the tim duncan era and I would seriously consider hiring him as an assistant coach whenever he retires. Imagine him and popps in suits coaching this team. I don't know how well their chances will be next year (somehow they can't win in even numbered years) but I expect them to be right in the mix alongside DAL and PHX. Congrats again spurs.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 1:11 PM
Austinite

Man I'm loving it! Barely got any sleep last night.

One item of note, the Spurs finals coverage in the local Austin media has been totally lacking and woeful. The front page of the Statesman barely makes reference to the Spurs this morning, and local newscasts didnt even mention the clincher until the sports segments, in some cases. I understand that Austin is a college-dominated sports town, and NBA allegiances are likely split alongside the Mavs and Rockets, but c'mon, we're only 70 miles up the road!

I also would like to see the Spurs organization embrace the Austin market a little more, perhaps with increased promotions and advertising campaigns. They should take advantage of an adjacent 1.5 million metro!...and perhaps local media would pay closer attention to their successes. Not that it really matters in the end, but it would be nice to see, as I'm a huge a Spurs fan.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 1:57 PM

I hope the Rockets win one next year (it will be tough). The last time I felt good about Houston sports was when the Astros were going to the World Series.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 3:09 PM
Austinite

Quote:
I hope the Rockets win one next year (it will be tough). The last time I felt good about Houston sports was when the Astros were going to the World Series.
The Rockets should have a pretty exciting team next year, with Adleman pushing his uptempo game. The setup is in place for Tracy McG to have a career year, if all goes as planned. The western conference is still going to be a beast to get out of, with SA, PHX, Utah and Dallas as your primary competition. Nevertheless, it'll be fun to watch.

Speaking of Rockets coaches, I have to say that I love Jeff Van Gundy's role as color analyst for ABC (not taking anything away from his coaching skills). There's no coincidence they had him broadcasting games before he was officially fired! He makes some hysterical observations during games.

Last edited by Mopacs; Jun 15, 2007 at 3:16 PM. Reason: Had to throw in a Jeff Van Gundy comment

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 7:26 PM
Todo para la familia

Robert Horry just said he was coming back for one more year. He believes the spurs can repeat. (Source: Dan Patrick Show ESPN RADIO)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:14 PM
The Space Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
The Rockets should have a pretty exciting team next year, with Adleman pushing his uptempo game. The setup is in place for Tracy McG to have a career year, if all goes as planned. The western conference is still going to be a beast to get out of, with SA, PHX, Utah and Dallas as your primary competition. Nevertheless, it'll be fun to watch.

Speaking of Rockets coaches, I have to say that I love Jeff Van Gundy's role as color analyst for ABC (not taking anything away from his coaching skills). There's no coincidence they had him broadcasting games before he was officially fired! He makes some hysterical observations during games.
^^^
Ughh! I hate Van Gundy, he wouldn't stop swinging on LeBron's nuts the whole series. Regardless of what was happening or how badly the Cavs were losing, especially during their 29 point deficit in game 2, he was constantly kissing James' ass.......I swear his lips were chapped by the end of the night.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:28 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
^^^
Ughh! I hate Van Gundy, he wouldn't stop swinging on LeBron's nuts the whole series. Regardless of what was happening or how badly the Cavs were losing, especially during their 29 point deficit in game 2, he was constantly kissing James' ass.......I swear his lips were chapped by the end of the night.
LOL.. Ok i'll give you that one. I just find that he makes funny observations, sometimes totally unrelated to the game at hand. You might recall during the Utah series, they flashed a mid-90s elementary school yearbook photo and profile of Deron Williams. Under his picture read... Future: Professional Basketball player. Then JVG points out some kid, Steven Wright, pictured below Deron in the yearbook. Under Future... it is left blank. JVG went on.. "LOOK at Steven Wright, he has NO future!" He just went on an on about it for several minutes. .. Alright, well I can't do it justice but it was funny at the time...

But i degress... back to spurs talk.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's Austinites, not Austonians. Ugh, why in the heck did they name that building "The Austonian"?

Anyway, I wouldn't say Austinites "adore" the Spurs. I actually see and hear very little about the Spurs here. I did see a commercial tonight talking about the game with the Cavs, but of course that was on ABC, and it was just an ad for the televised game. The Longhorns seem to be the biggest sports team here regardless of the sport. They are without a doubt, the biggest sports draw here, even beating out the minor league teams we have here of baseball, basketball, football and hockey.

I will say one thing. In middle school when I fell to peer pressure and got a Starter jacket, the team I picked was the Spurs. Of course, I guess I have some bias, having been born in San Antonio. Unfortunately after an encounter with a stray bottle rocket that burned my jacket, I got a Dallas Cowboys one afterward. Still, if I was going to root for a basketball team, the Spurs would be it.
Thanks for the response. I was having too much fun last night, I didn't get a chance to respond till now.

That's really pathetic that Austin barely mentions the San Antonio Spurs. Longhorns got the front page treatment for every Bowl Game/ Final Four so what gives? I'm happy that you're a Spurs fan, but I wish the Austin media would help us recognize the quality of basketball being played 70 miles down the road. We have 4 rings to prove it. It's just tough to swallow.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 6:08 AM

Phoenix fans can only dream

Congratulations to the:

NBA Champion
San Antonio Spurs!!!

Phoenix Suns RIP.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 3:35 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Thanks for the response. I was having too much fun last night, I didn't get a chance to respond till now.

That's really pathetic that Austin barely mentions the San Antonio Spurs. Longhorns got the front page treatment for every Bowl Game/ Final Four so what gives? I'm happy that you're a Spurs fan, but I wish the Austin media would help us recognize the quality of basketball being played 70 miles down the road. We have 4 rings to prove it. It's just tough to swallow.
Here here... it pisses me off to no end that the Spurs lack so much media attention in Austin. We're only 70 miles up the road!

Again, I understand this is a Longhorn-domainated sports town, and NBA alleigances are somewhat split between the Mavs and Rockets (seem to be more Mavs fans here than any other), but the Spurs are almost an afterthought it seems. When the Astros made the '05 world series, the local media attention was much greater than with any of the recent spurs championship runs. Ugh. Is it any wonder why the rest of the country knows very little about this team? One of the many theories I have comes from the origins of our population. So many have relocated here from outside the region... which also includes move-ins from Dallas and Houston.

This makes me wish I lived closer to SA where I could pick up your local TV stations. I watched the KENS-5 live coverage on the internet the other night.

Anyway, GO SPURS! The Drive for 5 begins in November!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 7:34 PM
James

Thats a great slogan for the next one... Drive for 5!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio