HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 2:47 PM

Ya, I agree, I guess my point was that accidents with pedestrians are pretty rare.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Ya, I agree, I guess my point was that accidents with pedestrians are pretty rare.
In 2019 there were 9 in Winnipeg and 8 in the rest of Manitoba for a total of 17. The Manitoba average is 12.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
In 2019 there were 9 in Winnipeg and 8 in the rest of Manitoba for a total of 17. The Manitoba average is 12.
That's the number who were killed. There are a lot more injuries.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:19 PM

How many of these deaths, injuries happen because of poorly cleared snow? A guy I went to school with died when he slipped getting off a bus and went under the tire from the the piled snow along the road. A young kid was hit in selkirk because he walked out onto a street, he was hidden behind a massive snow pile. This could have been prevented.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
That's the number who were killed. There are a lot more injuries.
You are correct on that.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 3:55 AM

With fire last night at 169 Provencher, maybe we will see that lot put to better use than a used car dealership and garage 🤞🏻.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
With fire last night at 169 Provencher, maybe we will see that lot put to better use than a used car dealership and garage ������������.
Maybe it can be parcelled with the huge field next door.. ahhh the possibilities! Along with the recent destruction of the rooming house at Langevin and the leveling of the SW corner of Provencher and Archibald, things are starting to get interesting along that stretch.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:46 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Fun fact. Every year more people are killed in vehicle collisions who were not in a vehicle than were.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 4:47 AM
surely you agree with me

Hopefully the property gets snapped up and developed at long last. It’s been a car dealer since 1930. Combine it with the lot beside and do something good. I’ve done a few proposals for that site over the years.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Fun fact. Every year more people are killed in vehicle collisions who were not in a vehicle than were.
That's definitely not the case in Manitoba. MPI's stats on fatalities are easily accessible, and the majority of people killed are drivers, passengers, then those "not in a vehicle". Of the roughly 80 or 90 fatalities each year, generally 10 to 12 are pedestrians.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 7:13 AM
surely you agree with me

Right sorry. In Winnipeg.

Pedestrians. Cyclists. Construction workers.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 2:42 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Right sorry. In Winnipeg.

Pedestrians. Cyclists. Construction workers.
Pedestrians totally absorbed in their phones while crossing busy streets ... I see this every single day as someone who’s walked 3 miles to work and back every weekday for the past 20 years. It’s bad enough having them walking into me on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 2:50 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Pedestrians totally absorbed in their phones while crossing busy streets ... I see this every single day as someone who’s walked 3 miles to work and back every weekday for the past 20 years. It’s bad enough having them walking into me on the sidewalk.
Also don't forget to blame all the buildings that get run into, for not paying enough attention and not wearing reflective enough clothing.

Streets are a peaceful and accident free experience for all, that is until you add pedestrians.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I get hit just about every day crossing William Stephenson on Main when there is a clear walk sign. SB vehicles on Main (often semis) are only looking for a break in traffic then just try and speed through. There have been a lot of near misses, it's horrifying. That turn lane should have a traffic light.

Then add all the times a week I almost get hit downtown as people are rolling through crosswalks at red lights to make right turns without stopping and looking. There shouldn't be any right-on-reds allowed downtown at any time. Donald at Portage is horrible.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I get hit just about every day crossing William Stephenson on Main when there is a clear walk sign. SB vehicles on Main (often semis) are only looking for a break in traffic then just try and speed through. There have been a lot of near misses, it's horrifying. That turn lane should have a traffic light.

Then add all the times a week I almost get hit downtown as people are rolling through crosswalks at red lights to make right turns without stopping and looking. There shouldn't be any right-on-reds allowed downtown at any time. Donald at Portage is horrible.
I agree with the no right on reds. It really isn't necessary. Other cities don't allow it for safety reasons and traffic still moves and life goes on. It's especially bad if a large truck or bus is in the straight lane because the car going up the turning lane can't see if people are crossing until the last second. Most drivers seem to treat right on reds like a yield. And try to sneak through small openings between people, or get stuck blocking the crosswalk.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
I only know of the ones that make the news. But I would bet there is less than one a day, and therefore rare.

I can't be wrong if my definitions are vague!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:44 PM

On Friday, I saw a guy on Main at Logan just walk straight out into traffic. Didn't have a phone. But head down walking fast. He got into the curb lane and a car buzzed by in the centre lane. He jumped back like he finally woke up and waited for the light to change.

I also a lady face plant on Munroe the same day. Cops happened to be there, so they helped her up. Elderly lady who lives in the tower at Watt St.

Amazing how much stuff happens. And yes, also many incidents going the other side of things. Vehicles always turning downtown do not pay attention to pads, just to cars.

On the topic of St. B. Why has that lot remained vacant for so long?? Seems like there's loads of other projects happening, but nothing there. Is it a case of the owner wanting a bazllion dollars?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:02 PM

i saw a gofundme page set-up from the owner of the auto shop that just burned down. no insurance and no plans of rebuilding at the site. unfortunate what happened to this guy's livelyhood, but now we will definitely have some major progress at this site.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 6:10 PM

No insurance? How can that even happen? I guess people just don't care.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Snip

I also a lady face plant on Munroe the same day. Cops happened to be there, so they helped her up. Elderly lady who lives in the tower at Watt St.
Munroe is up for major street renewal either in 2020 or 2021 depending on budget money being available.

There was a tender for Consulting Engineering services in the last few months for streets in the area (Munroe, Watt and Johnson if I recall properly) to determine what was required.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan