HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 5:41 PM

The Banks - Commercial Development

Just a bit of intel. for those of you who are interested: I walked by The Banks the other day and see that 2 commercial spaces are now occupied (by Cake and Guide hair salons). Two more are under offer and another one has been sold. According to someone I spoke with at the barbershop across the street, there is also a donut shop called "Pals" moving in to a space in the banks sometime soon.

Nice to see the commercial development in that area - makes things a little more interesting.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 7:09 PM

Condos at Saskatoon’s Market Mall not going ahead under new ownership

By Ryan Kessler, Global News
March 1, 2018

Despite receiving approval from Saskatoon city council two years ago, a condominium development at Saskatoon’s Market Mall is no longer in the works.

Fishman Holdings North America, a Toronto-based property company, proposed the plan for a 440-unit, three-building complex in what is now the northeast corner of the mall’s parking lot.

[........]

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/2892864/m...-city-council/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Condos at Saskatoon’s Market Mall not going ahead under new ownership

By Ryan Kessler, Global News
March 1, 2018

Despite receiving approval from Saskatoon city council two years ago, a condominium development at Saskatoon’s Market Mall is no longer in the works.

Fishman Holdings North America, a Toronto-based property company, proposed the plan for a 440-unit, three-building complex in what is now the northeast corner of the mall’s parking lot.

[........]

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/2892864/m...-city-council/
Well that's somewhat disappointing. I suppose there is nothing to stop new construction from happening there in the future though, so it's not like a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
Just a bit of intel. for those of you who are interested: I walked by The Banks the other day and see that 2 commercial spaces are now occupied (by Cake and Guide hair salons). Two more are under offer and another one has been sold. According to someone I spoke with at the barbershop across the street, there is also a donut shop called "Pals" moving in to a space in the banks sometime soon.

Nice to see the commercial development in that area - makes things a little more interesting.
I hope that there may be a pub/lounge and maybe a wine store and coffee shop added. Probably a small convenience store would do well there, too.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 3:04 PM

New website regarding the central library project: http://saskatooncentrallibrary.ca/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
New website regarding the central library project: http://saskatooncentrallibrary.ca/
The concept pic of the interior of the library on their `project`page reminds a LOT of what the interior of the Halifax library looks like. Would love to have a library like Halifax....which looks a LOT like the Remai Modern Art Gallery!!

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/LocationP...va_Scotia.html

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:31 PM

Word on the street at the Banks is that the café from the Farmer's Market is taking over the sold space to do coffee shop and tapas/wine in the evening, Those Girls at the Market are also building out in the live/work units where Pals Donuts/ Poke Bowls is going too. Another unit is not totally a done deal yet, but looks like a Ballet Barre workout studio will be occupying a leased spot. Excited to see what goes in the ideas inc building when Glitch and Soul Foods move to their new locations!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
The concept pic of the interior of the library on their `project`page reminds a LOT of what the interior of the Halifax library looks like. Would love to have a library like Halifax....which looks a LOT like the Remai Modern Art Gallery!!

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/LocationP...va_Scotia.html
Actually, that picture is of the Halifax Central Library. Looking around the site, the majority of the pictures are from inside it! Glad to see it's serving as an inspiration for other cities...we're pretty proud of it here.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:33 AM

Thanks Kara306 for the info on the banks, haven't seen you on before so welcome.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Well that's somewhat disappointing. I suppose there is nothing to stop new construction from happening there in the future though, so it's not like a missed opportunity.
This was a prime example of an infill project, and a missed opportunity. Lets hope these new owners have something similar in mind.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Actually, that picture is of the Halifax Central Library. Looking around the site, the majority of the pictures are from inside it! Glad to see it's serving as an inspiration for other cities...we're pretty proud of it here.
Hey Spire....have you seen pics of our Remai Modern Gallery?? Looks similar to your central library in Halifax!

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/rem...vers-1.3643225

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 8:13 PM

Midtown Plaza renovation:

Quote:
The Midtown Plaza project will feature new expansive skylights, sophisticated finishes and brand new curated storefronts with the Phase 1 renovations slated to be completed in 2018.

http://mmcarchitects.ca/midtown-plaza/

MMC International Architects is behind multiple other interior renovations of prominent Canadian shopping malls.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 10:37 PM

I guess skylights means no 3rd floor addition....

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 11:26 PM

Well, they've got the whole Sears space to fill, so...

And if any addition is going to be made to the mall, I'd rather see them push out towards 20th and Idylwyld with a building addition that has great street presence and really urbanizes that corner before a 3rd floor is built.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:36 PM

I 'm trying to leave space for a downtown arena....haha

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:01 PM
Unregistered User

As some of you may be aware, the City's "Come and Grow" community open house happens today at the Western Development Museum, where updates will be given on the BRT plan, Corridor Planning, and Transit Villages, among others. As a non-resident I will be unable to attend but I hope that some SSP-ers do, and voice your opinions. It would be nice for non-residents who frequent this forum like me to hear a little bit about what discussion went on at this event beyond the Powerpoint slides that the City will inevitably post (and perhaps a Phil Tank column).

Link for those interested.

Last edited by phone; Mar 7, 2018 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
As some of you may be aware, the City's "Come and Grow" community open house happens today at the Western Development Museum, where updates will be given on the BRT plan, Corridor Planning, and Transit Villages, among others. As a non-resident I will be unable to attend but I hope that some SSP-ers do, and voice your opinions. It would be nice non-residents who frequent this forum like me to hear a little bit about what discussion went on at this event beyond the Powerpoint slides that the City will inevitably post (and perhaps a Phil Tank column).

Link for those interested.
ill be there tonight seeing as one of the future BRT stops is at the intersection of my store. plus just to check this out, ive never been to one of these so im looking forward to it

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I 'm trying to leave space for a downtown arena....haha
Build the arena... ON the mall.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:20 AM

Theyve had a section of the mall with completed roof and new lighting completed for well over a year now. It’s very dark and the floors are very easy to get dirty. Quite the opposite of any other mall. Quite the shame, and a shame the contractors have taken well over two years with the roof torn apart. I know their tax bill is insanely high - I would allow tax breaks for covered centers to allocate taxes towards expansions or renovations. This mall doesn’t get the big crowds like it used to and is going to continue to struggle with the rise in online shopping. Council should be proactive and help them become a bigger city mall. A great mall incentivized downtown development like in calgary... a mall like Winnipeg’s one downtown incentivized me to buy a condo in the suburbs Haha

I also wouldn’t doubt it if Midtown keeps pushing back Zara, H&M, and other retailers that would move here for considerable lease rates, we’ll see a large mall like Polo Park pop up in the burbs and continue to watch Midtown dwindle.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:23 PM
Unregistered User

The City has released the phase 1 rail relocation report (link)

The recommendation is to relocate the CP line outside of city limits and to give no further consideration toward underpasses along arterial routes. However there doesn't seem to be a solid business case for either option, although the 'intangible' benefits are strong, ie emergency response times, community cohesion, etc. The implications for BRT are rather large as well, obviously.

If the CP rail line was to be relocated, what would become of the rail bridge by the weir? What about redevelopment around the Sutherland yards? Might we see McKercher extended north into Forest Grove?

The report recommends looking into CP sharing the line at the south edge of the city with CN -- is there much of a precedent in Canada of these companies sharing track like this?

It's too bad that it is proving so difficult to make a business case for something that is so clearly in the public interest.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan