HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the 2016 Manitoba Provincial Election?
New Democratic Party of Manitoba (NDP) 12 15.58%
Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba (PC) 36 46.75%
Manitoba Liberal Party 19 24.68%
Other / Not Voting 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Its interesting there is no real BIO for her on the Liberal party web site but I was able to find this about her work history. It appears she only had one job after graduating from Law School

She was a staff lawyer at the Carroll Law Office in Winnipeg.

As for here education here is the Wikipedia BIO;

Bokhari was born on a farm near Anola, Manitoba. As a student she attended the University of Manitoba where she obtained degrees in criminology and psychology. She then went on to complete a degree in law at Robson Hall, focusing on corporate commercial law. While completing her law degree, Bokhari was active in the Manitoba Law Students Association, serving as President in 2012.

Bokhari moved to Pakistan in 2002, living there with her family until she returned to Winnipeg in 2006. Her childhood home and family chicken farm were lost to fire in 2012.
Although the family had operated a poultry farm at one time, and then a sheep farm, but there was no active operation at the time of the fire.

Bokhari's parents now live in Winnipeg and the farm house was often vacant, occupied sometimes by her brothers. The family still kept many of its belongings in the home, which is why it had a security alarm.

Tall grass on property, says reeve

But the reeve for the RM of Springfield, Jim McCarthy, said he was told the house was vacant and derelict.

The yard was also filled with tall, thick, dry grass, which provided plenty of fuel for the flames.

Property owners need to do their part to keep grass mowed and reduce fire threat on their land, McCarthy said.

CBC

Oh that law firm!

http://aptn.ca/news/2014/04/16/x/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 6:31 PM

Manitoba Party unveils election theme song performed to tune of Yellow Submarine

Tune aims to 'wake up those that no longer vote,' says candidate Joe Chan

Manitoba Party promises to cut PST to 5%

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tion-1.3515056

________

The Peoples’ Agenda demands:

http://communist-party.ca/manitoba

Communist Party Running Six Candidates in Manitoba

For A People’s Agenda in Manitoba
-Create jobs with a 30 hour work week and no loss in pay

Note: This is not an endorsment but an informational post:

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 8:38 PM

Good article by Dan Lett today in the FP going through the different scenarios that could play out, and noting again that one always has to be wary of polls at any point in time.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...374355101.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 8:47 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Good article by Dan Lett today in the FP going through the different scenarios that could play out, and noting again that one always has to be wary of polls at any point in time.
Especially when the polls aren't looking too good for one's party.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 5:04 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg Sun

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 1:51 PM
BANNED

Hahaha. I'll take that over Selinger walking over the backs of Manitobans.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Especially when the polls aren't looking too good for one's party.
??

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Doh....looks like the clueless Liberals are down yet another candidate as "beat-her Berger" (Elmwood) tossed from the race by Bokhari!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tion-1.3519868

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 7:27 PM
Heart of the Continent

Can't believe I considered voting for them.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 8:24 PM

I wonder if this election is going to be the death blow for the provincial Liberals... they couldn't get any traction with Jon Gerrard as their leader, who is by all accounts a very smart and well intentioned man even if he was somewhat tone deaf as a political leader. Now that they're in the hands of a rank amateur they're pretty much in freefall. And this is an election where an even mildly competent Liberal campaign could have easily snapped up a half dozen seats.

Considering the lacklustre slate of candidates during their last leadership convention, I can only imagine who will be running to replace Rana... it could be a Manitoba Party-calibre lineup of kooks and wingnuts.

In any event, I'm sure Greg Selinger is most pleased with this turn of events.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 8:34 PM

You could be right. Traditionally, the Liberal Party in Manitoba was more of a centre-right party but a lot of those Liberal supporters just moved to the Conservative Party when it became obvious that the Liberal Party was going nowhere. The Selinger fiasco opened up the possibility that the party could reinvigorate itself and take over the centre-left spectrum, buoyed on by the Trudeau surge. They've been using a lot of Trudeau phraseology - unfortunately, they don't have the organizing power of the federal Liberal Party, nor do they have a Trudeau-type leader. It's hard to imagine that things could have gone worse so far for Bokhari.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 8:42 PM

^ Watching the campaign unfold, you kind of get the impression that most federal Liberals wish the provincial Liberal party would just go away already.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 8:47 PM

Excellent posts. Couldn't agree more.

If there was ever a time for the Liberals to break out, this is it. I'll be surprised if they get more than 2 seats.

I think the Libs' poor performance is the only reason that the NDP are hanging in there, and the reason I predicted a slim PC majority.

Interesting times indeed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 9:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder if this election is going to be the death blow for the provincial Liberals... they couldn't get any traction with Jon Gerrard as their leader, who is by all accounts a very smart and well intentioned man even if he was somewhat tone deaf as a political leader. Now that they're in the hands of a rank amateur they're pretty much in freefall. And this is an election where an even mildly competent Liberal campaign could have easily snapped up a half dozen seats.

Considering the lacklustre slate of candidates during their last leadership convention, I can only imagine who will be running to replace Rana... it could be a Manitoba Party-calibre lineup of kooks and wingnuts.

In any event, I'm sure Greg Selinger is most pleased with this turn of events.
Think your post sums it up pretty well, wondering if there is even a need for a provincial liberal party in MB. I will be surprised if the liberals win a seat.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Excellent posts. Couldn't agree more.

If there was ever a time for the Liberals to break out, this is it. I'll be surprised if they get more than 2 seats.

I think the Libs' poor performance is the only reason that the NDP are hanging in there, and the reason I predicted a slim PC majority.

Interesting times indeed.
2 seats would have been a worthy goal for the Liberals heading in. At this point I'd be shocked if they did more than retain Gerrard's seat.

The problem with the Liberals in Manitoba is that they have no base to draw from. That's how a wingnut like Rana could sign up a few dozen people and call herself "leader."

They need to build that base, a presence in the Leg which they haven't had for 20+ years. If I'm the leader or party president I wouldn't even run candidates outside of Winnipeg in the next election. Focus on winning 2-3-4 seats in the city and go from there. The problem is that anyone with a clue politically is not being listened to by Rana, she doesn't listen to anyone, she knows what she's doing. Electing a 38 year-old teenager as leader is not working out.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 10:49 PM

If you look at the newest Insight Manitoba poll it shows the Liberal vote splitting equally amongst the NDP and PC's. I think instead of Pallister winning 40+ seats and a weak opposition with a half dozen or so seats each, the result is 35 PC's to 21 NDP with the Liberals winning 1 seats (Gerrard). What a squandered opportunity for the liberals that could have become the official opposition.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
They need to build that base, a presence in the Leg which they haven't had for 20+ years. If I'm the leader or party president I wouldn't even run candidates outside of Winnipeg in the next election. Focus on winning 2-3-4 seats in the city and go from there. The problem is that anyone with a clue politically is not being listened to by Rana, she doesn't listen to anyone, she knows what she's doing. Electing a 38 year-old teenager as leader is not working out.
Good point. The Liberals probably need to admit that there's no point in running candidates in every rural riding... all it does is stretch the party's resources and ends up getting them kooky candidates that end up being a distraction at best and serious political liability at worst. Run candidates in Winnipeg, in some of the exurban bedroom candidates and be done with it. There is no point in running a candidate in Souris or Steinbach or wherever.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:52 AM
BANNED

I am optimistic that they will be close with the NDP for official opposition.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I am optimistic that they will be close with the NDP for official opposition.
We should remember that there are some solid candidates running for the liberals still. Peter Chura, Noel Bernier and Althea Guiboche come to mind. I wouldn't completely count them out. Surprises happen and they might still be able to elect 5 or 6 MLA's. If they can do that, I think the NDP win single digits. After all, all politics is local.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good point. The Liberals probably need to admit that there's no point in running candidates in every rural riding... all it does is stretch the party's resources and ends up getting them kooky candidates that end up being a distraction at best and serious political liability at worst. Run candidates in Winnipeg, in some of the exurban bedroom candidates and be done with it. There is no point in running a candidate in Souris or Steinbach or wherever.
While I see your point, a party can't campaign on governing a province while only running in it's main city. Imagine if Notley would have taken than tack last year, or Layton in 2011 (by forgetting about running in Quebec). Having a truly provincial campaign keeps those small constituency associations alive, helps build a province-wide network, and if nothing else, gives future candidates experience and face-time with the electorate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan