HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
There are far more important spending priorities.

I was in the hospital all morning doing groundwork for major surgery. I sat in front of six different people and answered the same questions again and again while they filled out forms with a pen. Not a computer in sight, anywhere. Why is this? I was using computers in college in 1980. This is something that needs to be fixed.

You'd think it'd be here already.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 2:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Thank you guys. I'm going to have more titanium in me than a CF-18.
Sounds like a new hip, That night in Toronto...

Yeah, I too was shocked when I took my mother-in-law to hospital and she had to go over all of her medical history verbally even though she's lived in Manitoba for the past 84 years! My workplace has been using computers since the early to mid 80's something foreign to Manitoba Health!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 2:25 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Sounds like a new hip, That night in Toronto...

Yeah, I too was shocked when I took my mother-in-law to hospital and she had to go over all of her medical history verbally even though she's lived in Manitoba for the past 84 years! My workplace has been using computers since the early to mid 80's something foreign to Manitoba Health!
You still would have to do that, even if they were using computers . Records can be wrong ..

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 3:58 AM
BANNED

I don't see one difference in the Ndp and the cons. Ndp would cancel the previous
Parties plans. And now the cons are. Never do they follow through. This province is run by a bunch of desk jockey that look at lines on a map and then throw darts and where the dart lands they may do some work.

And Sask is way ahead of us. Let's not forget they can build 12 overpasses / underpasses in 2 years. We cannot build 12 in 100 years.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 4:17 AM
Heart of the Continent

If we wanted to do that, we could. Saskatchewan is only doing that now, because it became a real problem. That we're talking about the perimeter now, means that it's getting to that point here.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 12:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
If we wanted to do that, we could. Saskatchewan is only doing that now, because it became a real problem. That we're talking about the perimeter now, means that it's getting to that point here.
Getting? I'm on it every single day hauling. It's been to that point for 20 years. It's past the point.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 1:07 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Getting? I'm on it every single day hauling. It's been to that point for 20 years. It's past the point.

It's nothing like the problem Regina has on (I want to say) Victoria.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:49 PM

I am frequently on the Perimeter. If you gave me a huge pile of money and said to spend in on road improvements that had the most impact I would likely spend it in other places. For example The headingley and St Norbert bypasses, grade separating Deacon's Corner, building an right-only overpass for Bishop at Dakotka, fully grade separating St Marys and Bishop, right only at Bishop at River, grade separation of Regent and Lag and Fermor and Lag, etc. The list is long and the Perimeter barely even makes the radar.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 4:10 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
It's nothing like the problem Regina has on (I want to say) Victoria.
Yeah - the TCH through Regina is a mess. It's basically like routing highway traffic down Regent in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 4:27 PM

Regina is currently spending mega dollars and constructing a Regina Bypass on the south end. There is a thread on SSP for it. There will still be a couple uncontrolled median opening, from what I remember. Otherwise it'll be pretty sweet. No traffic lights.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 4:53 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Regina is currently spending mega dollars and constructing a Regina Bypass on the south end. There is a thread on SSP for it. There will still be a couple uncontrolled median opening, from what I remember. Otherwise it'll be pretty sweet. No traffic lights.

And they had to do that because the problem was untenable. The situation is similar at 59 and 101. It hasn't yet reached the point where people are demanding action elsewhere - yet.

You see the same thing with 16 from 1 to 10. Passing lanes were added to the entire length because driving it before that was a nightmare.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 6:27 PM

Yeah, at least with have the Perimeter in it's current state. Having highway traffic travel through P&M, imagine that? TV would have his hands full. Proposing freeways on the outskirts of town, his most hated enemy.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:03 PM
There is always a way

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...atal-1.3744360

Not only is the Perimeter the laughingstock of Canadian cities, but it has been getting increasingly dangerous with traffic volumes. Yesterday's crash only serves to solidify that fact. How many more people have to die before the province wakes up and starts spending the money to make the upgrades necessary to render it at the very least safe.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:06 PM

Fire off an email to your MLA, to Pallister, to the Infrastructure Minister. I do it sometimes. Its your typical sending a letter into a huge government process, which isn't going to get much reaction. Not really any other way to go about it. Unless you start organizing protests.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Fire off an email to your MLA, to Pallister, to the Infrastructure Minister. I do it sometimes. Its your typical sending a letter into a huge government process, which isn't going to get much reaction. Not really any other way to go about it. Unless you start organizing protests.
The government won't pay much attention to one letter, but they'll certainly notice hundreds of them. Volume matters.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:15 PM

^ ya exactly. I got a response from an email i sent about an accident at Gunn and 101. Fatality accident and I sent a snooty letter off to Ashton. I got a response from Lance Vigfusson, MIT leader, saying "we take it very seriously" standard political answer.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...atal-1.3744360

Not only is the Perimeter the laughingstock of Canadian cities, but it has been getting increasingly dangerous with traffic volumes. Yesterday's crash only serves to solidify that fact. How many more people have to die before the province wakes up and starts spending the money to make the upgrades necessary to render it at the very least safe.
I always am wary driving on the Perimeter and trying to cross it with traffic signals on a high speed route, yesterdays tragic accident that killed two on the North Perimeter should have never happened had the Perimeter been built and upgraded! Money for frivolous projects that cater to and serve a few while infrastructure languishes at 1950 levels in this province!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:52 PM
There is always a way

I guess I'm wondering how much can it really cost to do some very basic I-29 style diamond interchanges. Hell, I'd even settle for some proper acceleration and deceleration lanes for the time being. Ever have the pleasure of going from SB St Marys to WB Perimeter? I assure you it is most atrocious. A lot of the hwy seems like the province just said meh, I don't feel like doing it right.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:59 PM

^ I'm not really a freeway guy but the Perimeter is one route I'd concede is in desperate need of improvement. When it was built it was more or less a rural highway and all of the uncontrolled intersections were fine. But now it's becoming more and more of an urban highway, and the traffic volumes + high speeds + outdated standards are a recipe for disaster.

Good highways make driving almost foolproof, but the Perimeter has so many potential hazards (frequent red lights, small but busy roads intersecting directly with the highway) that it creates tons opportunities for someone to get into a serious accident. Some trucker loses focus for a moment and boom, an accident like yesterday's happens.

It's to the point where MIT needs to get serious about grade separating major roads and blocking minor roads. Maybe Pipeline or Murdock Road shouldn't have direct access to the Perimeter anymore.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:22 PM

^ I've been saying for a long time that somebody at MIT needs to grow a pair and make the tough (and undoubtedly unpopular decision with some people) to close off the gravel road accesses and median openings along the entire perimeter. They also need to STOP adding new lights anywhere on this highway...if the new connection cannot be made without an interchange, it should not be done until it can be. Hello Kenaston.

In the meantime, MIT needs to greatly increase the green light cycle times for the already existing lights on the perimeter. A 45 second green is totally inadequate in my mind, especially given the amount of truck traffic this route sees. I have written MIT about this, and received the standard "we will be reviewing the light timing" response. As expected, no changes we made. The 3 vehicles turning off Pipeline, Hwy 6, etc need to be able to access the perimeter as much as possible even if it creates unsafe and often deadly situations. Wake the hell up MIT and increase the green light timing for 100/101!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan