HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Fried Chicken is really trendy right now. They'll all close again in 5 years.
I am sure your epicurean education permits u to predict that gloom & doom but Popeyes and Mary browns, Chicken chef have paid their educated peeps who predict otherwise

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Speaking of chicken...I was at the corner of Inkster and McPhillips on the weekend. There's a Chicken Delight across McPhillips from a KFC there. We need a chicken project to get Popeyes and Mary Browns to open up on the other corners. Maybe fit a Chicken Chef in there too. Make them all flagships of their respective brands (I think the CD is already a flagship - looks nicer than the average location).

Call it "Chicken Corner" - people will come from miles around...
Chicken Delight and KFC have been there over 45 years or more..Jollibee is one block north over @ Northgate on Mcphillips, Mary Browns a few blocks north where Superstore is and Popeyes opening in a few weeks on Leila @ McPhillips so that's pretty good. Chicken Chef on Main st North but they could likely be over saturated with one on McPhillips

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Popeyes opening in a few weeks on Leila @ McPhillips so that's pretty good.
When I went by there yesterday it was little more than the most basically metal framing. I doubt they are opening "in a few weeks". My guess would be more an April-June time frame.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 6:44 AM

Popeyes in garden city?

Its not popeyes but East Side Marios they are building there beside seafood city...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp518 View Post
Its not popeyes but East Side Marios they are building there beside seafood city...
Do you have a source you can share on this?

All information points towards East Side Marios putting up a sign at the site. While they were trying to find a local partner to run it the local Popeye's people came along and secured the site shutting out East Side Marios.

FYI East Side Marios and Milestones which was announced as the lead tenant for CentrePoint (opposite MTS Centre). When they could not find a local operator they backed out of that commitment.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Chicken Delight and KFC have been there over 45 years or more..Jollibee is one block north over @ Northgate on Mcphillips, Mary Browns a few blocks north where Superstore is and Popeyes opening in a few weeks on Leila @ McPhillips so that's pretty good. Chicken Chef on Main st North but they could likely be over saturated with one on McPhillips
A Chicken District then? Have parades and festivals. People love chicken!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 7:03 PM

Have chickens wandering around. You could have catch your meal contests!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Have chickens wandering around. You could have catch your meal contests!
In developing countries you sometimes see the roadside chicken vendor with a bunch of live chickens in a cage, along with a stump and a hatchet. Fresh chicken for sale! Maybe get a few of those in there

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 7:27 PM

No refrigeration required!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 10:55 PM

This town is like a great big chicken just waiting to get plucked.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In developing countries you sometimes see the roadside chicken vendor with a bunch of live chickens in a cage, along with a stump and a hatchet. Fresh chicken for sale! Maybe get a few of those in there
Great concept. I have a name picked out. "chop a doodle doo"

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:22 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 8:10 PM

There's this rumour I keep hearing about a Wendy's being built in Transcona. Plessis and Regent area. Any truth to this? I've heard zero actual info. Just rumours from excited Transcona people.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:39 PM

Quote:
There's this rumour I keep hearing about a Wendy's being built in Transcona. Plessis and Regent area. Any truth to this? I've heard zero actual info. Just rumours from excited Transcona people.
there's a new KFC (blah) built in strip mall by Starbucks on Plessis

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 5:53 PM

New Sal's location on Henderson was open yesterday when I went by after work. Lot was full too!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:59 PM

^^ Pretty sure there is a Wendy's either recently opened or under construction in the same development as No Frills. I will check it out when I am out that way in the next week and report back if someone doesn't beat me.

--

Separately I had a chance to check out Hargrave St Food Court Market last night. They had a security guard doing a head count as you went in suggesting they are trying to keep in under some capacity level.

In terms of the space the layout is interesting instead of a bunch of tables surrounded by food vendors (like The Common). Furniture seemed somewhat low end v The Common. Also the Lake of Woods tanks and the escalator to the main floor are more or less in the middle of the space which breaks it up some. Food choices are definitely interesting and I plan to go back and check out a few more. The value didn't seem terrible. Sure it's a bit higher than the cheapest food out there but it is definitely short of most sit down/order at your table places.

The crowd last night was pretty decent sized but judging by comments I have seen online lots of people did not know it was open so I expect it will become a hot go to place before Jets games once people are more in the know to the point you will likely need to arrive early to get in similar to other hot spots near the arena.

The one negative I had was the space seemed very loud, louder than CityPlace Food Hall Court under a similar crowd.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ Pretty sure there is a Wendy's either recently opened or under construction in the same development as No Frills. I will check it out when I am out that way in the next week and report back if someone doesn't beat me.

Not saying it didn't happen, but there's no mention of Wendy's on the website:
https://www.parkcitycommons.com/retail

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:52 PM

It's the KFC. It doesn't look like a KFC, looks more like a Wendy's. So I think everyone gets confused by that.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
What's surprising at that new shopping complex (the one with the new No Frills) on Plessis between Regent and Transcona Blvd. is that there looks to be a stand alone fast food restaurant ? coffee shop complete with drive thru that has been empty for over a year and was never occupied! Or was it a Starbucks that closed shortly after opening?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 5:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
New Sal's location on Henderson was open yesterday when I went by after work. Lot was full too!
People in Winnipeg can't wait to eat low cost crappy food!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan