HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 10:49 PM

http://greenparty.ca/files/attachmen...april_2011.pdf

In the Green Party's platform they advocate restarting the passenger line between Regina and Saskatoon (page 19). Elizabeth May has also stated multiple times her support for bringing back passenger rail.

Looks like we might have some federal support on this. What's everyone's thoughts?

I for one would love to see passenger rail brought back. Even a modest 180-200km/hr train would do wonders for improving transportation. As someone who makes frequent trips between the cities, this would be fantastic.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 5:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
http://greenparty.ca/files/attachmen...april_2011.pdf

In the Green Party's platform they advocate restarting the passenger line between Regina and Saskatoon (page 19). Elizabeth May has also stated multiple times her support for bringing back passenger rail.

Looks like we might have some federal support on this. What's everyone's thoughts?

I for one would love to see passenger rail brought back. Even a modest 180-200km/hr train would do wonders for improving transportation. As someone who makes frequent trips between the cities, this would be fantastic.
Not going to happen until it makes economic sense, and it won't anytime soon unfortunately. Even buses through the province are a money losing venture. I dont think I would have brought this thread out of the archives just because of something the Green Party suggested, but that's just me.

Edit: I didn't mean to sound like an ass jigglysquishy, I'm more directing the attitude to the Green Party who thinks we should create a high-speed rail line without revealing any details to cost, potential demand for one and how it would be powered.

Last edited by djforsberg; Apr 11, 2011 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
That's a good question, and unfortunately, I can't say for certain.

But, looking at Google maps gives me the impression CN has their line running from their southwest yards across the river, travels east for a couple kilometres and heads south towards Regina (parallel to Hwy 11). Whereas CP has their yards in the northeast, and their mainline travels southeast along the Yellowhead (to Winnipeg). I am not sure if CP even has their own line to Regina.
Yes there is a line directly to Regina, called the Lanigan Sub, TONNES of potash are carried on it every week.... Makes Regina Ring RD at rush hour a pain in the a$$...

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:12 AM

I think one of the big detractions of rail travel in saskatoon (and many other Canadian cities) is convenience. They took the train station out of the heart of the city and moved it into the middle of nowhere. That was completely stupid. Maybe one day when commuter rail gets going in Saskatoon they will have the main inter-city station somewhere back downtown. Hopping on a train should be much easier than taking a plane.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:15 AM

And of course it is nuts that we have no high-speed trains in Canada. There have been many many studies done and there are some routes that are very economically viable (Quebec City-Windsor Corridor, Calgary-Edmonton) but the federal government never acts. Even in times of recession when other massive infrastructure projects are being invested in nobody bothers with high speed rail. We are way behind the times with our rail infrastructure in this country.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 7:03 PM
ARTchitecture

I am surprised this isn't talked about more often. Actually surprised there hasn't been any action on it in years, as Saskatchewan's economy has improved so markedly in the years since the last posts here.

Is there a freeway between Saskatoon and Regina yet?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I am surprised this isn't talked about more often. Actually surprised there hasn't been any action on it in years, as Saskatchewan's economy has improved so markedly in the years since the last posts here.

There's been a twinned highway between the cities for decades. I doubt a limited access freeway will happen anytime soon with so much money needing to be spent on highways in and around Saskatchewan cities and the need for highway twinning elsewhere. Plus, the need, traffic- and safety-wise, isn't there quite yet, but I can tell it gets much busier every year.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post

You are jesting us --- right? Lol!

There has been a divided highway between Regina and Saskatoon for 40+ years already.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan