HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 1:20 AM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I like the Moffett Towers project and love the pedestrian bridge. But I do not like the Milpitas building. The massing makes it look much shorter than 18 stories. Plus, it will be right on 680. I'm not sure where BART will cut through, but if it's close that would be a plus. I agree that it's amazing that it has even been proposed right now.
Yeah, the massing on the Milpitas building is screwed up--I guess that's what I meant when I said it looked suburban--it's just a big giant perfect cube, even with those embelishments on the roof! Maybe that helped push it through approval--it really doesn't look like 18 at all. I was going to look up the location on a map, so thanks for pointing it out. A BART stop there would be a good idea.

on edit: From the minutes of the City Council meeting--
Quote:
The mixeduse
building and parking garage is proposed to be approximately 277 feet and
115 feet in height, respectively.

Last edited by leftopolis; Dec 3, 2008 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 3:53 AM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The San Jose Public Market looks great! Any more details, such as when it opens, is it a work in progress or simply a vision at this point? I clicked around on the link and am intrigued and enthused, but didn't see any such info.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 4:46 AM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
The San Jose Public Market looks great! Any more details, such as when it opens, is it a work in progress or simply a vision at this point? I clicked around on the link and am intrigued and enthused, but didn't see any such info.
I first heard of it recently and thought it was just at the idea stage, but then this site popped up with conceptuals and all. I'm not sure how concrete all the details are, but some of the infrastructure is already there so it's not starting from scratch. Those towers might be some of the separate projects already proposed by other developers. One of them looks to match up with one (Livingston Tower) shown on this map:
http://sjhighrise.shorturl.com/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 8:27 PM

Public markets are all the rage in the Bay Area it seems. The San Jose version looks fantastic, I hope it happens. I just took the train up to the bay for the weekend and was amazed to see how much Jack London Square has changed with it's new public market under construction. The area is starting to look more urban and less industrial. Had a wonderful time and the weather and food couldnt have been better!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 12:19 AM
Earthling

More on the DTSJ Market--here--via The Merc
(click above for full story)
Quote:
...Called the Peralta Action Plan, in honor of the historic adobe that sits in its heart, the plan encompass several blocks from First Street to Highway 87 and from Bassett Street to south of Santa Clara Street. The goal is to leverage a series of projects already in the works or proposed in that area, from high-rise condominiums to office buildings, new courthouses and potential BART portals.

The plan calls for bringing together developers, property owners and community members to coordinate all that growth in dispiriting economic conditions. It also seeks to tap federal urban renewal dollars and to craft a master plan for parking. But mostly, it urges fast-tracking projects that can launch soon.

That focus on urgency is the primary reason the San Pedro Square urban market — sought for land controlled by the McEnery family, landlord Frank Cucuzza and Martin Menne, a nephew of developer Barry Swenson — is at the top of the list.
The city voted in June to contribute $6 million, including a $2.5 million grant for historic preservation work, to the project, pitched as an open-air version of Seattle's Pike Place or San Francisco's Ferry Building...
There's also a graphic up of the complete "Peralta Action Plan" here:

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 3:56 PM

San Pedro Square - SJ Public Market

Exciting news! I worked and played in that area for 20 years, and always felt it had charm and great potential. Hope the idea takes off!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 8:13 PM
Earthling

Click here for a bird's eye view of the Peralta Action Plan Area--it's a pdf download of the proposal. Looks exciting, and I love the expression "BART Portal" in reference to DTSJ!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2008, 10:36 PM
Of Heart's Delight

Here's an overhead map which originally accompanied that bird's-eye view.
http://sanjoseca.gov/mayor/news/memo...8%20150dpi.pdf

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 12:51 AM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Here's an overhead map which originally accompanied that bird's-eye view.
http://sanjoseca.gov/mayor/news/memo...8%20150dpi.pdf
Ah, that's better! BTW, I looked up JRDV Architects (from the pdf's) -- and they sound great. Many of thier projects are in Europe, and they have an office in Mexico City--so we can expect a degree of an internationalist perspective from them. That can only be a good thing, when you're trying to unprovincialize.

Also, their local office is in the Cathederal Building in Oakland, which has got to be one of my all-time favorite buildings.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 1:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, December 5, 2008
Costs balloon to $3.5B for Stanford hospital projects
San Francisco Business Times - by Chris Rauber

The price tag for significant rebuild/expansion projects at Stanford Hospital & Clinics and Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital, side-by-side medical facilities at Stanford, has climbed to as much as $3.5 billion, a cool billion dollars more than previously disclosed estimates, according to Stanford officials.

Earlier this year, Stanford used an estimate of $2 billion for both projects. But late last month, rebuild spokeswoman Shelley Hebert disclosed that Stanford Hospital’s board had authorized spending as much as $2.5 billion on the Stanford Hospital rebuild alone, and that Lucile Packard’s project will add an extra $1 billion to the tab. Officials at Lucile Packard confirmed the latter figure.

Hebert, Stanford Hospital’s executive director for public affairs, told the Business Times that earlier estimates had referred only to the Stanford Hospital portion of the project, although sources for earlier articles said at the times in question that they included both rebuild/expansion projects.

Back in mid-2007, for example, Mark Tortorich, vice president of planning, design and construction for both hospitals, told the Business Times that a $1 billion-plus estimate for the joint project was “just a stab in the dark.”

By this summer, that figure had jumped to $2 billion, before morphing last month into $3.5 billion.
Source: nhttp://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2008/12/08/newscolumn3.html?t=printable

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 5:55 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Bay Meadows is no more, in preparation for its transformation from track to housing and retail development. Image courtesy flickr photographer dtweney, posted on Curbed SF:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 4:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
According to http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci.../focus3.html#1, " developer Jack Myers has ordered the steel for the second tower in his 670,000-square-foot Centennial project, even though he has not landed an anchor tenant for phase one, set for completion in December."

Here is the website for the project: http://www.thecentennialtowers.com/

Have you (or anyone else) heard anything more about this? The base of the tower crane is still in place, but there are no other signs of work on the north tower. Does it usually take more than 4 months from ordering steel to delivery?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 10:44 PM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Have you (or anyone else) heard anything more about this? The base of the tower crane is still in place, but there are no other signs of work on the north tower. Does it usually take more than 4 months from ordering steel to delivery?
That sounds kinda long--but, being optomistic since the crane is still there--it could be just a matter of waiting a bit for the price to be right. I'm not sure where to look up current steel prices, but I know it's been dropping rapidly. I saw a TV news story the other day in which a steel recycler was being hit by hard times because the price of steel has plumetted during the past year(undoubtedly due to hundereds of projects being halted globally).

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 4:19 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That could be it. I just read in the Calgary Bow thread that it has been slowed because they canceled their steel order to get a better price from another supplier. Perhaps something like that is happening here too.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 4:35 PM

Not good news I'm afraid...

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...6800%5E1753540

Developer Jack Myers hits brakes on 2nd tower in South S.F.San Francisco Business Times - by J.K. Dineen
Developer Jack Myers has stopped construction on the second tower of his $300 million Centennial Towers project in South San Francisco, another victim of the financial crisis that has hammered both leasing and development activity across the Bay Area.

The move comes as Myers Development nears completion of the first building, a 330,000-square-foot speculative structure at the foot of San Bruno Mountain that has no leases signed so far.

Myers said he has been “disappointed with the velocity of the leasing activity, but remains optimistic about the long-term prospects.” The developer has reportedly been in talks with a number of tenants, including Sony, but thus far no deal is imminent.

“Certainly, you can’t miss the inactivity as you look over the marketplace. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever witnessed,” said Myers. “Yet there are pockets of activity for larger tenants who have a particular need to make a decision. Big tenants need big time for planning.”

Myers said he made the decision to postpone tower two in November after contractor Hathaway Dinwiddie had completed the foundation work on the building.

“We’re just being judicious,” said Myers. “We were pressing ahead with the idea of completing it by December of next year, yet there simply is not a reason to do this.”

Thus far, the recession has not had as big an impact on the Peninsula marketplace as it has in San Francisco, according to brokers. The vacancy rate on the Peninsula increased 1.3 percentage points in the fourth quarter from 12.5 percent to 13.8 percent, according to Timothy Grant of CB Richard Ellis. But the increase has largely been driven by three large blocks of space, totaling 800,000 square feet, that all became available in the fourth quarter.

The biggest of these is the first Myers building in South San Francisco. The other two are Lowe Enterprises’ redevelopment of the 270,000-square-foot Clearview Business Park in San Mateo and a 220,000-square-foot building at 395 Page Mill Road that Google is trying to sublease in Palo Alto.

Clearview has already signed on one tenant for the San Mateo project — an extensive rehab of the former Visa headquarters campus. Akamai Technologies took 67,000 square feet at Clearview and has already moved in. Daisy Hatch, vice president of Lowe Enterprises Real Estate Group, said Clearview benefitted from the fact that it was a rehab of an existing complex, rather than new ground-up construction. That allowed Lowe to bring the project online more rapidly and land a tenant before the severe economic downturn. She said leasing activity has slowed — but not entirely.

“We have had a couple of lease negotiations going on for months that are still active,” she said. “It is not dead in the water by any means.”

Along with Amgen, which is trying to unload more than 300,000 square feet in South San Francisco, Google’s Palo Alto space is the only significant block of sublease space on the Peninsula market, according to Grant. While 1.2 million square feet of sublease space became available in San Francisco in the last six months, the Peninsula has only had 350,000 square feet. The direct vacancy rate on the Peninsula is just under 10 percent, with another 3.8 percent of sublease vacancy. Grant said tenants on the tech-heavy Peninsula, badly burned by speculative leasing in the aftermath of the Internet bubble of 2000, were conservative in the recent economic upswing.

“None of the big boys took more space than they needed this time around,” said Grant.

Grant is expecting the vacancy rate to inch up one or two percentage points during another two quarters of indecision and low deal volume. Grant, who is part of a team of brokers attempting to lease the Centennial Towers, said he is not optimistic that a lease will be signed on the Myers property until March at the earliest.

“There are a lot of tenants we are tracking, but nobody we feel is going to pull the trigger in the next three months,” said Grant. “It’s a frustrating time to be a broker because people are not making decisions.”

Myers said the second building will take 13 months to construct. He said construction crews could crank back up next spring if they land a tenant, or by late 2009 at the latest.

“The steel is bought, the glass is bought, the elevators are bought — everything is bought,” said Myers. “As soon as we have a tenant in tow, we’ll go hell bent to get the second tower built.”

The asking rate in the new Myers building has been around $60 a square foot, and Myers said he does not see dropping rates on the swanky Centennial, designed by Skidmore Owings and Merrill.

“The market has fallen away, we recognize that, but we are not going to go out and discount our lease space,” he said. “This building will be a beautiful home for a company for decades to come.”

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 4:42 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks rocketman. Can't say I'm surprised.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
Earthling

Just a couple of recent pics from the South Bay...

Construction @ SJC Airport (link w/ more pics from Jan. '09)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 3:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, January 23, 2009
Oakland gets 2 pitches for Army Base
San Francisco Business Times - by Blanca Torres

After more than a decade of discussing how best to redevelop the Oakland Army Base, the city has received bids from two development teams to become the master developer for its 108-acre parcel. The next step will be for the city to choose between the proposals, which could happen as early as summer.

The City of Oakland set a deadline of Jan. 22 for responses to a request for proposals. The city had selected four development teams from a pool of 13. Two of the four finalist teams dropped out last fall. One of the two remaining teams, Federal Development, proposes a retail-focused mixed use plan. The other team, a partnership of California Capital Group and AMB Property Corp., wants to create an industrial and office complex.

Besides their proposed uses, each team has a different approach to the scope of the project. David Gazek, senior vice president of Federal Development, said Federal’s proposal looks at creating a regional retail center with components such as an outlet mall, large format stores and a hotel. He described the proposal as “realistic and flexible.”

The other team, led by Phil Tagami of California Capital Group, wants to incorporate an adjacent 168-acre parcel of land that is controlled by the Port of Oakland.

Tagami argues that it makes sense to develop the two sites together because they have commong infrastructure, environmental cleanup needs and a potential to boost Oakland’s economic base.

Tagami made an unsolicited offer to the Port last October to do a master plan that includes both parcels. The Port has since issued its own request for proposals due Feb. 27, to which Tagami plans to submit.

“We really believe the sites have shared infrastructure and that communication between the city and the port at this point is an imperative,” Tagami said. “There are a lot of stakeholders that need to be listened to. We need to have continued meetings and dialogue.”

Representatives from both teams said they were confident about their proposals. Gazek said his team also considered withdrawing after it received mixed messages from City Council members about what uses they wanted for the site. Those concerns subsided after more discussion.

“(City leaders) gave us the comfort level that there wasn’t a predetermined viewpoint about what kind of development should go on the property,” Gazek said. “They assured us they were going to look at it with a clean slate.”

btorres@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4960
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, February 6, 2009
Half-finished City Walk goes on the market in Oakland
San Francisco Business Times - by Blanca Torres

The plastic wrapping encasing Olson’s Co.’s City Walk project in Oakland may come down after all — if another developer buys it.

Olson has put the half-completed, 252-unit project on the market in hopes that someone will finish the construction and offer the units as rentals. The developer is working out an agreement with the City of Oakland to change the site’s use to apartments.

“With the change in the market, specifically the condo market, the project is much more viable as an apartment complex,” said Tony Bosowski, regional president of Olson’s Northern California division. “The Olson Co. is not an apartment developer. We’re not an apartment manager. It makes more sense to have someone with that experience come in and finish the project.”

Many other condo projects in Oakland have gone rental, including Broadway Grand, 288 Third St., Il Piedmonte and the Jade. Within the past year, Forest City opened a 665-unit Uptown apartment project and Essex Property Trust is close to moving the first residents to The Grand, a 238-unit luxury high-rise near Lake Merritt.

“Housing development involves long lead times and unfortunate timing can ruin even the best conceived plans,” said Chris Foley, principal of Polaris Group, a real estate marketing and research firm.

A year ago, Olson refunded deposits on 37 contracts it had signed for City Walk. Construction on the project stopped in mid-2007 when the contractor, UPA California, abandoned the work and later declared bankruptcy. Olson had planned to restart construction by the end of 2008, but did not.

City Walk consists of four, six-story buildings that encompass about 250,000 square feet. The lower floors of the development contain parking and commercial spaces.

According to Olson, the project is about 60 percent complete. Bosowski said Olson still believes the project has long-term value.

“The downtown Oakland market is a great market and will be a great market in the future,” he said. “The vision that’s been laid out for downtown Oakland will continue, but we’ve obviously hit a tough time.”

btorres@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4960

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, February 6, 2009
Stalled project gets revived in Pittsburg
San Francisco Business Times - by Albert C. Pacciorini

Domus Development of San Francisco, a specialist in building affordable housing, may help rescue Pittsburg’s stalled downtown centerpiece, the three-block Vidrio project that runs from Fifth to Eighth Streets along Railroad Avenue.

The city has entered into an exclusive agreement with Domus to build 110-units of senior housing, additional residential or offices, parking and ground-floor retail on one block of the project at Eighth and Railroad.

Domus is scheduled to appear at the Planning Commission Feb. 25 with its plan, said Courtland Holman, project manager for the redevelopment agency. The agency agreed to loan $250,000 to Domus for architectural and engineering planning.

A partnership of the A.F. Evans Co. of Oakland had begun developing the $140 million condominium and retail Vidrio project in 2006. One structure on the center block is 95 percent complete. The project is in foreclosure by lender Union Bank.

In 2007, Domus built the $12 million Entrata project, 13 affordable and 15 market rate housing units, offices and retail on East 10th St., considered part of the revitalized downtown’s entry.

Meea Kang, Domus’ founding partner, said her company focuses on complicated urban infill projects. While not wanting to disclose details now, she hopes the project will bring synergy to help revitalize Railroad Avenue.

apacciorini@bizjournals.com / (925) 598-1430

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations