HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:18 PM

^^ I personally wouldn't mind of they too down that corroded metal the outside of the building was "graced" with a few years ago. I guess some folks like it, but I have personally never been a fan.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:23 PM
surely you agree with me

The tallest load bearing masonry building in Canada. I think there might only be one taller in North America. Don’t walk too close to it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
with the rail lines in northern mb maybe the aborigonal center should bring back rail service acccess
Any idea what the fare would have to be to make it economically viable, oh wait, never mind.....

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 3:49 PM
BANNED

if you’re worried about subsidizing travel, wait til you hear how much we give to airports and how much money we lose on roads. not to mention the massive subsidies that go toward fuel for personal transportation.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:20 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
if you’re worried about subsidizing travel, wait til you hear how much we give to airports and how much money we lose on roads. not to mention the massive subsidies that go toward fuel for personal transportation.
LOL subsidies to fuel? that's a good one. More like massive taxes to fuel but I suppose it's a matter of perspective right?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
"The overall transaction presented an excellent opportunity to acquire scale in Winnipeg’s growing Downtown area."
I wonder what that means? Does it imply the buyer owns a neighbouring property (Timbercreek/160 Smith or PPP/185 Smith)?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 4:47 PM

VIA Rail already offers massively subsidized rail travel to the north and can barely make a go of it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:47 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
LOL subsidies to fuel? that's a good one. More like massive taxes to fuel but I suppose it's a matter of perspective right?

Maybe they meant subsidy to DRIVE. Parking is always pointed out as being subsidized, because the ones that are occupied between 9 to 5 are not paying taxes and those spaces sit empty during the evenings, overnight and on weekends.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
the production and transport of oil and gas is heavily subsidized, yes. then capitalists make us pay the tax on it at the pump so they don't have to.

Quote:
The International Monetary Fund periodically assesses global subsidies for fossil fuels as part of its work on climate, and it found in a recent working paper that the fossil fuel industry got a whopping $5.2 trillion in subsidies in 2017. This amounts to 6.4 percent of the global gross domestic product.
https://www.vox.com/2019/5/17/186247...es-climate-imf

this is also why it's a stupid argument to say "well so and so drives/flies, they're a hypocrite!" our system is literally built around a monopoly on these choices that oil and gas companies have. there is no alternative because no one can compete with such a heavily propped up industry.

Last edited by headhorse; Aug 9, 2019 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I wonder what that means? Does it imply the buyer owns a neighbouring property (Timbercreek/160 Smith or PPP/185 Smith)?
Could just mean that it’s a large building with an extra developable parking lot.

Does anyone know if it’s just the tiny accessory lot beside it, or is it (also) the big one behind it next to Ivory?

Antares has done quite well with the main floor commercial, only the 1 corner unit is left. With that unit and the Izakaya, would be awesome to see the big lot developed with commercial fronting St. Mary as well.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 7:53 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
that's a nice opinion for you to have, but I'm more interested in facts. the production and transport of oil and gas is heavily subsidized, yes. then capitalists make us pay the tax on it at the pump so they don't have to.

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/17/186247...es-climate-imf

this is also why it's a stupid argument to say "well so and so drives/flies, they're a hypocrite!" our system is literally built around a monopoly on these choices that oil and gas companies have. there is no alternative because no one can compete with such a heavily propped up industry.
Hmm, I was reading the study that that Vox article quoted and their definition of subsidy seems pretty vague. "This paper updates estimates of fossil fuel subsidies, defined as fuel consumption times the
gap between existing and efficient prices (i.e., prices warranted by supply costs, environmental
costs, and revenue considerations)". This definition leaves the term 'subsidy' open to considerable interpretation. We don't - by-and-large - give direct subsidies to oil companies (except for Trudeau apparently, buying up pipeline projects, but that's a separate issue). Corporations in the business can access certain incentives etc for keeping jobs in the market, same as any other business.

The middle point, "revenue considerations", is almost impossible to actually quantify as a dollar value, and is subject to the whims of the authors. If we did some digging I am positive that this point would account for the majority of these "subsidies".

They even admit as much on page 6: "For one thing, environmental costs are measured with considerable uncertainty—most obviously
global climate change, but another example is local air pollution, where there are several
sequential linkages between the burning of a fuel and changes in the mortality rates for exposed
populations (see below), all of which involve plenty of data uncertainties. In addition, there are
differing views on how to value the associated health risks."

So they're essentially saying that they can't really quantify it properly and that there could be considerable differences in the estimate depending on who you talk to. I don't think that this should be viewed as a subsidy because it is so indirect that you can't properly quantify the cost and effect of it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
^^ I personally wouldn't mind of they too down that corroded metal the outside of the building was "graced" with a few years ago. I guess some folks like it, but I have personally never been a fan.
I don't mind it, it's different. I never look at it when I'm passing the building or when I am on the sidewalk under it. Too many other distractions, such as traffic.

It might look better if it was glass. They should enclose the parking garage and make it heated parking.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The tallest load bearing masonry building in Canada. I think there might only be one taller in North America. Don’t walk too close to it.
The Masonic Temple beside Giant Tiger? I'll take the sidewalk on the other side.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 8:50 PM

Anyone know what's going in on Portage between Sherbrooke and Furby? There seems to be some significant excavation there.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 8:56 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Interesting, so it's built with cinder blocks?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:18 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringedbean View Post
Anyone know what's going in on Portage between Sherbrooke and Furby? There seems to be some significant excavation there.
That was the site of McNaught Motors. The building was demolished by Imrie this Spring. They are doing some serious soil remediation there. They lined the sides with plastic bag like material.

Initial rumours was that a recreation climbing centre would be built, but that "fell thru". We are hoping for a hi-rise apartment.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:42 PM

That hole is deep. Down several floors for sure.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 5:41 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
That was the site of McNaught Motors. The building was demolished by Imrie this Spring. They are doing some serious soil remediation there. They lined the sides with plastic bag like material.

Initial rumours was that a recreation climbing centre would be built, but that "fell thru". We are hoping for a hi-rise apartment.
They are decontaminating the site to make it sellable. No project.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 5:41 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Interesting, so it's built with cinder blocks?
It is. Pretty crazy.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 6:10 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
You prefer the way it was before? I’m pretty happy with that renovation. The entire building is Corten steel and the new parkade screen and glass storefronts modernizes the look without being foreign.

The screen needs to be 50% open to let air through because it is a parkade. Closing it in is not a realistic option because it would cost a fortune to add the mechanical systems required to ventilate it.

Last edited by trueviking; Aug 10, 2019 at 6:22 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan