HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 4:02 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 4:06 PM

Next page:
Quote:

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Thanks so much!

I love how there wasn't a curb cut in this rendering.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 5:17 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 2:46 PM

Where's the one with the mountains? haha

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 3:03 PM
BANNED

When you compare the footprint of the original tower that was planned and taking into account that thr foundations were built for that structure back in 1979, why is this tower using only half the original structures foundation. It seems weird as its placment is so far away from the originals i wonder if the original plans foundation was truely that large.
Seeing as the elevator shaft is exactly where it wluld have been in 1979. Or was there a plan for two sets of shafts?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
When you compare the footprint of the original tower that was planned and taking into account that thr foundations were built for that structure back in 1979, why is this tower using only half the original structures foundation. It seems weird as its placment is so far away from the originals i wonder if the original plans foundation was truely that large.
Seeing as the elevator shaft is exactly where it wluld have been in 1979. Or was there a plan for two sets of shafts?
The original tower was planned to be an office tower. A residential tower inherently has to be skinnier because everyone needs a window.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 6:39 PM

Seems that both iterations have their pros and cons.

Original plan
-2nd tower would have been much bigger and taken up a larger amount of space
-building in between was much more substantial

Actual
-2nd tower is taller

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:31 PM

I wonder if BMO is going to try and negotiate 201 removing the RBC naming rights from the building. Would be pretty funny to see BMO set up in what is positioned as an RBC building.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Where's the one with the mountains? haha
I think that's phase 4 of the project. I'd support that gofundme page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
The original tower was planned to be an office tower. A residential tower inherently has to be skinnier because everyone needs a window.
Exactly. The office market was reasonably ok here (by Winnipeg standards) and the TNS came up, so that killed any office ideas they may have had (doubt they wanted that anyway, otherwise this would have been built decades ago). The smaller floorplate and thus less weight per floor allowed them to build taller.

However, I'd guess that the original 300 main rendering was larger in size overall... I think 360 Main is around 550,000 sf excluding the mall, and the second tower is noticeably girth-ier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Seems that both iterations have their pros and cons.

Original plan
-2nd tower would have been much bigger and taken up a larger amount of space
-building in between was much more substantial

Actual
-2nd tower is taller
I'd consider the age old real estate principle of highest and best use here... especially now more than in the past, experienced developers will try to maximize their site. The foundation for the majority of the central portion was, despite rumours and renderings, not structurally capable of handling more than one floor. So they appear to be doing what they can.

Similarly, they are building apartments... much better use than office these days.

Hell, even back then in the 80s, the highest and best use for the site turned out to be take the money and run... clearly seeing the development through wasn't worth the trouble of building out the block. How they got away with it, I don't know.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:09 PM
What could go wrong?

Amazing how shallow the residential floors look compared to the podium floors.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:12 PM
There is always a way

^the core has not moved in a few weeks now. Is that because they want to let the steelwork catch up a bit?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
^the core has not moved in a few weeks now. Is that because they want to let the steelwork catch up a bit?
Cores can go quite high above steel. Not sure what their limit is but I wouldn't think they're near that. Maybe, though, although steel isn't exactly moving slowly anymore. In any case I want to see that core climb more, it's a nice laypersons progress barometer.

There's a ton of work on the 300 podium level and inside 330. My guess is that's the focus. I imagine it would be to ensure lease obligations for the centre portion are safely met.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:05 PM
What could go wrong?

My guess is that the crane is near its limit for being free-standing. It needs to be anchored to the building every so often and they are waiting for the steel structure to reach it's first anchor point. Then it will be jumped and the core will raise again.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
It looks like they can't go higher on the core until the crane goes higher. And comparing the crane height to the grain commission building, they may be at max unsupported height on it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:53 PM
the first stamp is free

The core freestand structural limitation is 15-storeys.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:40 PM
What could go wrong?

So to me, it looks like if all things go well and all materials are on site at the appropriate time, it takes about 4 days to complete a floor.

2 days to install the exterior beams and the white Delta Beams and 2 days to install the hollowcore decking.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:58 PM

So the next two floors should go up pretty quickly, maybe one a week. I'm sure adding the columns will will take up a couple days when they need to be installed but we should see some real movement now.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:57 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
So the next two floors should go up pretty quickly, maybe one a week. I'm sure adding the columns will will take up a couple days when they need to be installed but we should see some real movement now.
And the erection continues...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 5:01 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan