HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 8:16 PM

Nice! Towers heights between 36 and 51 floors will make this a visible complex. I think everything is ramping up for the Carter lot to be above 50 floors across the lot.

There's already some work ongoing next to the Willingdon underpass, maybe a sales center? Must be so much easier to sell the vision for the area now than it must have been with Milano...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Nice! Towers heights between 36 and 51 floors will make this a visible complex. I think everything is ramping up for the Carter lot to be above 50 floors across the lot.

There's already some work ongoing next to the Willingdon underpass, maybe a sales center? Must be so much easier to sell the vision for the area now than it must have been with Milano...
I wonder if this proceeds though.

Would be surprising if there was appetite for a 50 floor tower from a relatively unknown builder in Brentwood that's seeing dozens of new towers go up as we speak.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:31 PM

Demand will return. They are at a good time to be pushing this through a year or so of entitlements and this will be ready for sale likely at a good time.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Careful using sales as a proxy for revenue to the landlords. Your above assessment of Oakridge being a less valuable asset than metrowtown is correct, however revenue of those sales go to the tenants, landlords only get rent,a additionals, and possibly a small percentage of sales in the form of percentage rent. Another important point is $1,080 is the CRU sales per square foot, and does not include LNM or anchor tenants, so you need to multiply the $1,080 by a much smaller number than 1.78m square feet.

My guess on a valuation of the existing asset would be $4.25 billion based off a 3.75% cap... but that's a swing in the dark since there are so many unknowns.

I realize that.
Which is why I was hesitant using the ranking to make that argument because I have my issues with the whole reasoning and logic behind it (like the fact that it tells us more about the tenants and the particular type of shoppers who shop at those malls than it does about the actual malls and the mall owners).
I should have added the caveat that the Mall owners revenue is more or less "fixed" and not really dependent on whether the tenants are struggling or having a bumper year in sales (except in situations like you pointed out in which they get a percentage in sales) - assuming the tenants honor the leases and pay their rents on time and in full, that is.
But they naturally do, nonetheless have a vested interest in the tenants doing well - beyond which it means they'll be able to pay their rent - but also because it adds to the vibrant business atmosphere and climate of the mall which helps encourage foot traffic and bring more business (and more tenants if needs be, for vacated spots).

Also good point about the anchor tenants, which is YET another issue I have with that ranking system because, by not having the LNM and anchor tenants factored in, it likely penalizes the bigger malls that are likely to have more anchor tenants (like a Metropolis versus an Oakridge or a Pacific Center)

Regardless, it was the only listing and ranking done with easily and readily accessible and available hard numbers that we could make a crude, fast comparison off of, so I used it knowing the shortcomings.

But you rightly point out the fact that there's too many unknowns not just in the revenue assessment and comparison (property rates, Overheads, alternate revenue streams not directly connected to the mall business but still part of the landowners' portfolio (like Metro Office Towers rents and business)) etc) but also in considering the Mall's actual value and the value of the land it sits on.

I'd be curious as to what the government uses to make the assessments since it has to figure out the property rates and taxes somehow - but its highly unlikely any of these folks will be releasing their tax returns and financial evaluations anytime soon.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:37 PM

Another render image of the above project (Aoyuan Brentwood project) showing the project in context from a different angle and giving a better impression of the views to the mountains and to downtown.

Not too shabby, this.

Obviously that base photo is pretty outdated since it doesn't show the Solo towers, the Lumina towers to the East or The Amazing Brentwood obviously.
It's also misleading (as most marketing images tend to be) since by the time this gets off the ground, Solo will mostly be all complete as will Lumina while TAB will most likely be deep into phase 3 or 4.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:40 PM

Very interesting. Density on this is sweet but otherwise the plan needs work, architecturally and lot wise.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:42 PM

Excited if this proceeds, the impact of Brentwood on the skyline is so awesome when you pull around the bend past Burnaby lakes headed West.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:48 PM

i think the market is too weak to be able to absorb this supply

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Very interesting. Density on this is sweet but otherwise the plan needs work, architecturally and lot wise.
The expected or projected build-out time for all the phases is supposed to be upwards of 10 years.
Plenty of time in that period for things to get moved around and even re-designed.

Look at how different Anthem's Station Square turned out from the original renderings - especially with the last two towers when they got KPF to come into the project.

At the end of the day this is just a Master plan concept proposal.
It's not even the rezoning application for phase 1 (which is expected at a later date) much less a Design Permit application (where the actual design will be submitted for permit).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroYVR View Post
i think the market is too weak to be able to absorb this supply
Now, perhaps.

But who knows what the market will be like when they're a couple of phases into construction (like 6-8 years down the road).

There's a reason they're doing it in a phased sequence rather than all at once.
(which is pretty much the reason all developers do their projects phased).

They'll have all the flexibility in the world to adapt things as market conditions change.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 10:33 PM

The market will be full forward until china locks the borders and trump builds a wall. We live in the most livable city in the world and they are coming. The head tax that has been imposed has just slowed down the economy has not made much difference except for a few properties being listed for some crazy amount of money. You dont usually see 16000 a month rentals on Craigslist or 10000 a month penthouses. When the effects of Brexit start they will also be looking for a new home

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:40 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
The head tax that has been imposed has just slowed down the economy has not made much difference except for a few properties being listed for some crazy amount of money. You dont usually see 16000 a month rentals on Craigslist or 10000 a month penthouses.
And you bet that if a recession strikes, all of these properties will be worthless, and the rich that sell these properties before said recession would get most of the $$$ before their value collapses.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:58 PM

By me taken on 27 Sep 2019

Untitled by Lexus, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 8:24 PM

Two new towers for Metrotown on the Major Developments page:

6620 Sussex Ave by DA Architects + Planners, a single high rise tower

and 6615 Telford Ave Hotson Architecture Inc, for a low/midrise rental and a high rise apartment

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhujb View Post
Two new towers for Metrotown on the Major Developments page:

6620 Sussex Ave by DA Architects + Planners, a single high rise tower

and 6615 Telford Ave Hotson Architecture Inc, for a low/midrise rental and a high rise apartment
I wonder if 6615 Telford is being combined with 6625 Telford. I can't see addresses for both of them on street view and they have to be pretty much next door to each other. One is saying a single tower with townhouses and the other is saying a condo tower plus a shorter rental tower.

I'm interested in this Edmonds listing: 7465 Griffiths Drive "a multiple-family development with both a strata and rental component." Currently it's a business / warehouse type space that's all on it's own and cut off from other businesses (I suspect they'll move to the Big Bend industrial area).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 5:16 PM

I saw that the Carter dealer, part of it has closed up, the parking or where they park the cars to sell was empty and all branding was gone from the building. Is it just temporary or permanently closing, anyone know?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I saw that the Carter dealer, part of it has closed up, the parking or where they park the cars to sell was empty and all branding was gone from the building. Is it just temporary or permanently closing, anyone know?
I found this (end of March this year):

Burnaby Zoning Bylaw 1965,
Amendment Bylaw No. 7, 2019 - Bylaw No. 13994

Rez #18-47
4550 Lougheed Highway

From: CD Comprehensive Development District (based on P2 Administration and Assembly District, C3 General Commercial District, M1 Manufacturing District and Brentwood Town Centre Development Plan as guidelines)

To: Amended CD Comprehensive Development District (based on P2 Administration and Assembly District, C3 General Commercial District, M1 Manufacturing District and Brentwood Town Centre Development Plan as guidelines and in accordance with the development plan entitled "Brentwood Skytrain Station Upgrades" prepared by Perkins + Will)

The purpose of the proposed zoning bylaw amendment is to permit the construction of an elevator, bus operator washroom facilities, and enclosure of the existing staircase.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:19 PM

I can see a tower there with the dealership taking up the bottom levels for a show room. The same way Tesla is done. way better than looking at a huge lot of cars

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I found this (end of March this year):

Burnaby Zoning Bylaw 1965,
Amendment Bylaw No. 7, 2019 - Bylaw No. 13994

Rez #18-47
4550 Lougheed Highway

From: CD Comprehensive Development District (based on P2 Administration and Assembly District, C3 General Commercial District, M1 Manufacturing District and Brentwood Town Centre Development Plan as guidelines)

To: Amended CD Comprehensive Development District (based on P2 Administration and Assembly District, C3 General Commercial District, M1 Manufacturing District and Brentwood Town Centre Development Plan as guidelines and in accordance with the development plan entitled "Brentwood Skytrain Station Upgrades" prepared by Perkins + Will)

The purpose of the proposed zoning bylaw amendment is to permit the construction of an elevator, bus operator washroom facilities, and enclosure of the existing staircase.
ah ok thanks

-----

Burnaby unveils plan to create 1,300 units of non-market housing

City wants to make a deal with BC Housing to develop seven sites in the city

Kelvin Gawley / Burnaby Now
OCTOBER 9, 2019

In an effort to get more than 1,300 units of non-market housing built in the city, Burnaby is pursuing a new deal with BC Housing.

It was revealed at a council meeting this Monday that the city has been working behind the scenes to create a new partnership with the provincial agency to increase non-market housing in the city by 25 per cent.

https://www.burnabynow.com/federal-e...ing-1.23972304

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Burnaby unveils plan to create 1,300 units of non-market housing

City wants to make a deal with BC Housing to develop seven sites in the city

Kelvin Gawley / Burnaby Now
OCTOBER 9, 2019

In an effort to get more than 1,300 units of non-market housing built in the city, Burnaby is pursuing a new deal with BC Housing.

It was revealed at a council meeting this Monday that the city has been working behind the scenes to create a new partnership with the provincial agency to increase non-market housing in the city by 25 per cent.

https://www.burnabynow.com/federal-e...ing-1.23972304
...and how much rental housing was lost while Corrigan was mayor? He did a lot of good things as mayor but that wasn't one of them. I'm happy to see Hurley move on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley