HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 3:31 PM
Reason and Freedom

[Burnaby] Gilmore Place | Phase I: 64fl 51fl 43fl | 214.8 | U/C

With recent rumours of a 70-storey tower, I thought we could start a thread for any information regarding the potential redevelopment of Gilmore Station as a TOD. I do not know how current this information posted recently on vancouver4life is or whether it has been posted here before. It looks a little embryonic. But for what it is worth:

Quote:
GILMORE STATION – BY ONNI GROUP OF COMPANIES – VANCOUVER NEW DEVELOPMENT AND PRESALE

Comprised of over 12 acres of land, Gilmore Station is anticipated to feature approximately 500,000 square feet of newly constructed transit-oriented retail space with an inviting communal plaza and an abundance of residential development, directly on-site. Surrounded by long-established neighbourhoods and on-site multi-family residential developments, Gilmore Station will offer an architecturally unique, walkable and convenient shopping experience for current and future locals alike. Given the village’s strategic and transit-oriented location at Gilmore Avenue and Lougheed Highway, next to Gilmore SkyTrain Station, commuters from the surrounding communities will further augment the demand for Gilmore Station’s collection of stores, boutique retailers, and restaurant vendors. Gilmore Station is poised to be an exciting new shopping destination for all of Metro Vancouver.

Gilmore Station is stationed in a hub of rapid development throughout Burnaby.
• 2000+ homes (excluding single family homes) have recently been sold or are currently selling.*
• North Burnaby is the highest area of growth in comparison to North and Central Burnaby
• 17% population growth within 1km of Gilmore Station over the past 5 years* with more to come over the next upcoming years.
• Neighbourhood currently includes a potential of approximately 10,000 higher density homes

Retail | Gilmore Station features a diverse mix of restaurants, grocers, fashion, entertainment and general merchandise. The projects offers highly visible locations on Lougheed Highway, Gilmore Avenue, and SkyTrain Station.

Residential | Gilmore Station will be a vibrant community with the potential to provide up to 2.5 million square feet of residential development in over 5 high rise towers.

Office | Gilmore Station is strategically located in the vibrant Brentwood region of North Burnaby. In addition, the SkyTrain Station situated on the property makes this one of the most attractive office opportunities in Metro Vancouver. This community will offer up to one million square feet of new sustainable office space.

Source: http://vancouver4life.com/gilmore-st...le/#more-22614

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 5:12 PM

Given this site's history, I'll believe it once they break ground.

They do have a website at http://www.gilmorestation.ca/ but it's definitely still in the early stages.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 5:36 PM

The brochure on the website has few design photos with around 10 tall towers on this fairly small cite. That's quite a bit of density if it happens:

http://www.jivepromotions.com/gilmor...e-brochure.pdf

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 7:53 PM

The site repeatedly mentions 500,000 sq. ft. of retail space. Could they mean commercial space instead? To put that into context, SoLo district has 'only' 100,000 sq. ft. of retail.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 8:28 PM

Cool - thanks for posting.

The brochure says the whole project will have 3,000,000 square feet of residential and commercial space,
with up to 760,000 square feet of retail space.
Phase 1 will have up to 485,000 square of retail on 4 levels.
That said, Phase one is the triangular site north of the station - not really a floorplate that big retailers would flock towards.

By comparison, Solo District is really only single level retail over the northern half of the site (which is smaller than Onni's Gilmore site).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 8:45 PM

With that amount of retail and residential development, they are going to need a hole like the one at Brentwood to accommodate all that parking. I know that the developments across the street have above ground parking because of the low water table. Is that side of the street any different? Those renders sure don't look like they are showing above ground parking.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:04 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Awesome! Thanks for the updates on this project!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:05 PM

Awesome! Can't seem to get enough of such developments! That would make the lives of residents living around there a lot easier with the convenience of amenities (And I don't mean walk for 20mins kind of convenience). Once again, hooray for progressive Burnaby!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:41 PM

onni pls keep my gold gym

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 9:49 PM

Thinking about the retail space - this provides a big retail anchor for Dawson Street.

Note the plaza on "New Carleton Ave" & Dawson (first rendering below).
The renders shows series of escalators to the various retail levels from the plaza (2nd rendering below)
- as well as a passage to Gilmore Station from the east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Lots of wasted space at the moment, Onni better start digging now. The rendering looks awesome!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thinking about the retail space - this provides a big retail anchor for Dawson Street.

Note the plaza on "New Carleton Ave" & Dawson (first rendering below).
The renders shows series of escalators to the various retail levels from the plaza (2nd rendering below)
- as well as a passage to Gilmore Station from the east.
Wow these rendering reminds me of Las Vegas / Singapore shopping malls

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:15 PM

Can't seem to see anything except for the two most plain unexciting renders in history.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:18 PM
BANNED

I have my doubt that they can really fill up the retail spaces though... They should only focus on office and residential. Forget about retail, aint gonna happen!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA3 View Post
I have my doubt that they can really fill up the retail spaces though... They should only focus on office and residential. Forget about retail, aint gonna happen!
So retail isn't viable here but somehow office is? Okay...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:48 PM

The retail would only work if there were office towers above to send office workers down at lunch time (like Bentall or Royal Centre downtown).
The render reposted by AudiA3 does look like there is office space (maybe office below and residential above, like Solo District)
- and there is an office park around the Home Depot to provide customers (as well as the existing Lougheed Drive-In site buildings)

Residential, on its own, does not provide enough daytime traffic for retail.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 10:57 PM
Reason and Freedom

From the information in the first post:

Quote:
Office | Gilmore Station is strategically located in the vibrant Brentwood region of North Burnaby. In addition, the SkyTrain Station situated on the property makes this one of the most attractive office opportunities in Metro Vancouver. This community will offer up to one million square feet of new sustainable office space.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The retail would only work if there were office towers above to send office workers down at lunch time (like Bentall or Royal Centre downtown).
The render reposted by AudiA3 does look like there is office space (maybe office below and residential above, like Solo District)
- and there is an office park around the Home Depot to provide customers (as well as the existing Lougheed Drive-In site buildings)

Residential, on its own, does not provide enough daytime traffic for retail.
Most of the large scale developments with office space recently would've preferred to do more retail space and delete the office altogether - see Solo District, Marine Gateway, etc, etc. Office does little to support the retail demand.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA3 View Post
Lots of wasted space at the moment, Onni better start digging now. The rendering looks awesome!
It's going to be quite a glass ghetto!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
Most of the large scale developments with office space recently would've preferred to do more retail space and delete the office altogether - see Solo District, Marine Gateway, etc, etc. Office does little to support the retail demand.
How does the retail demand created by office space compare to that created by residential though?

i.e. Retail can't survive in Yaletown, because there's no daytime pedestrian traffic, so it's converted to restaurants that open at night and service-oriented businesses (spas).

Office uses will support at least a food fair and services.

And of course it would be necessary to get some anchor stores in there.

I think Madison Centre across Lougheed still has empty spaces, despite 3 condo towers, a small office block and anchors Save-on-Foods and a small Winners (I could see Winners moving to this location and adding a Homesense, or maybe a Marshalls moving in)

The only other smaller scale TOD oriented retail complexes with condos (that are not regional malls) that I can think of are Plaza 88, International Village and Aberdeen Centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley