HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Somewhere out there is a forum with someone saying they would rather blow their head off than have to deal with people who debate the relative urbanity of two different places for the 18th time.

I feel like I could have a drink and get along with either.
haha this... let's get real.

-"Do you think eastern Pennsylvania should be considered the rust belt?"
-"umm... i guess?"
-"you're insane! general economic trends during the early half hte 20th century may have leaned industrial but the Philadelphia MSA has always been more closely aligned with Boston and New York!"
-*person walks away slowly*

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post

-"umm... i guess?"
-"you're insane! general economic trends during the early half hte 20th century may have leaned industrial but the Philadelphia MSA has always been more closely aligned with Boston and New York!"

it's funny because it's true.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
haha this... let's get real.

-"umm... i guess?"
-"You're crazy! Philly has never been aligned with Boston. It's religious history and demographic composition much more closely reflect its ties with Maryland and the Mid-Atlantic. William Penn was basically a Quaker version of Lord Calvert, not some New England Puritan bullshit!"

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

This is what makes SSP great.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I can understand not wanting to go to Disney yourself... But I can't imagine that someone who won't talk to a person just because they went to Disney World would be a very fun person to be around.

One person's exotic destination is just another person's Disney World, so no need to shit on others vacation preferences. .
I'd add that if exchanging on a forum like this constitutes "talking", then the "Disney... ewww don't touch me!" crowd is already breaking their rule just by being on here with a number of us.

I am not the biggest Disney fan myself and did not go on my own initiative but I have to say I've been there a few times.

It was not as painful () as I expected it to be, but now that my kids are older I can't say that I am itching much to go back there. In 15-20 years or so, I may end up there again to please my grandkids though.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:26 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
To be fair, that was for a (big) sofa and matching armchair. And they’re much more expensive now!
Meh. As long as you still have it and plan on keeping it for a long time. Who cares? My wife spent several thousand on a sofa set and the cats shredded them all within a few years.

As for Disneyland/world. I went at 35 and had a blast. My wife wants to go one day and we don't have kids.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post

As for Disneyland/world. I went at 35 and had a blast. My wife wants to go one day and we don't have kids.
My wife and I have close family members who went to Disney for their honeymoon as childless 20-somethings. We still shake our heads at that when we think of it, more than 10 years later.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yikes, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

but disney world is irrelevant. if you don't want to take your kids to disney world, then don't take them to disney world. that has absolutely zero bearing on your ability to be a good parent.
Disney is an easy one as there are millions of kids in the USA who will never go to Disney in their childhood. They may "wish" they could go, but it's not typically going to be a reason for them being ostracized.

There is other stuff that's harder to counter. My wife and I have never been big on Halloween but we never would have dreamt of preventing our kids from taking part. As it turns out one of our kids isn't a big Halloween fan either!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:38 PM

Undecided yet, I like some places that my retirement is able to cover my expenses.
Mexico is very close, but not safe.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I can understand not wanting to go to Disney yourself... But I can't imagine that someone who won't talk to a person just because they went to Disney World would be a very fun person to be around.

One person's exotic destination is just another person's Disney World, so no need to shit on others vacation preferences. People from some parts of the globe will dream of going to a place like Cancun, which is not a place I'd ever voluntarily go for vacation, but turn their nose up at the idea of vacationing in Ibiza. One of the cheesiest places I've ever been in my life is Dubrovnik, Croatia. It was beautiful though.
Exactly.

Hell I went to Tokyo Disney Sea...why? Because I could and I like Disney. It was 100% worth it too lol

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions