HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post

oh? must it?
Yes, it must. An architect should know how every single piece of his building is constructed, and every single piece of his building should serve a purpose. When a man can slap a tube on top of a box, which is all his initial model was, and have the building actually be constructed in spite of his lack of knowledge as to how things are actually physically put together, it sets the wrong precedent for how architecture is supposed to be practiced. Architecture is in a sad state due to the fact that the precedent has become that architects are now supposed to be artists, and not give a damn about how the building is built, because that's somebody else's job.

Architecture is supposed to be the highest combination of science and art. Architects are supposed to be the most valuable person to a building in that they are supposed to know how the building is built, and to design something with some artistic merit based on their understanding of the method of how it is built and how it should function. Architects like Koolhaas certainly deserve respect for being good at delivering pretty sketches and high artistic concepts, but at the same time certainly deserve the ridicule of people like me who understand that they don't actually know what they're doing when it comes down to the details.

Quote:
yeah. he has no clue about structures. and his designs have NO basis in reality... he's just a box stacker who's all like, how can i be different?
i really don't even know how he got to where he is today, being so dumb and all. what's that LAME school that nobody's ever heard called where he got his degree? i think that fool alsop and rogers went there too...
http://www.aaschool.ac.uk/
Did I say he had no clue about structures? No. He's obviously got a clue about the concept of structures and how to design to the limits of what is structurally possible. I explained how he doesn't think beyond the shapes and how the building has to work as a whole mechanism. Every example I cited, I have discussed in depth with the contractors who had to deal with him. He's not Jahn where he knows what he's doing and insists on the most expensive option, he's a guy who really doesn't actually know.

Quote:
yeah... gehry has an extremely intellectual approach to architecture, unlike that hack FOOLhaas. have you ever heard him speak? he's BRILLIANT... and his sketches are works of art. he knows exactly how to make space work!
I didn't say I thought Gehry was a good architect. I'm not sure I really like anything he's ever built. But for as complex as his structures are, I know for a fact he designs them to the level of detail necessary for them to be built more easily by the contractors, rather than like Koolhaas, who couldn't care less how his boxes are put together.

I would argue the last point there all day. Have you been inside the campus center at IIT? Unless you spend the majority of your time in there, you can't find your way around in that place without a map, and I defy to you explain to me how that building is in any way anything but a spectacular failure. Overbudget, an eyesore, and completely non-functional. Mies would slit his own throat and die a second time if he ever saw his likeness on the glass on that pile of crap.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:59 AM
BANNED

HQ. RIBERA DEL DUERO WINE
estudio barozzi veiga

The aim of this competition was to remodel an existing building and to extend it to accommodate the headquarters of the ruling board for guarantee of origin //'Ribera del Duero//
The project is simply founded as a unigue interpretation of the reality of its place. It aspire to offer a space of difference where the things that compose its proximinty, the city, the landscape, the atmostphere, are accommodated and which, as a mirror, reflects them.
The place has been carved by the city and the landscape, and the project, simply interprets this condition, outlining the difference that brings us closer to an understanding.
In this way, the building could be understood as a single expression of its surroundings, as an element of transition between the urban landscape, where it is inserted, and the natural landscape which it confronts. The building moves in between those double tension it moves as it follows, adapts and finds an architectonic form for the meanings that synthesize the city and the landscape.
The project becomes a material conclusion of the existing volume, suggesting the need of a conclusive element that expresses the temporary disconnection of the new volume. This new element forms a dependent one, follows the lines of the old element and declares the impossibility of an authentic redefinition of its historic appearance.

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 8:11 AM
BANNED

SINGAPORE RESIDENTIAL COMPLEX
oma/koolhaas

a modern version of a modernist idea

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 8:30 AM
BANNED

MOOSE
storalgen

Video Link

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 11:50 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
[SIZE="5"][B]

*oma
This would be perfect for the South Loop. I'm thinking the parcel of land north of River City.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:04 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Reminds me of an off-angle Optima at Old Orchard. OMA sure is liking these stacked volumes of late. Breaks up the mass?

The Moose is most excellent. Near-perfect example of a "duck" to OMA's decorated sheds.

And Veiga's Rock rocks.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 4:32 PM

Quote:
i don't think i could ever get through to you. so i won't even try.
Funny how people will flee from an argument when they are out-facted.

A difference of opinion, to be sure. I don't disagree with you that Koolhaas is a good artist and pushes boundaries with his buildings. I do like a lot of his concepts. He just lost a LOT of respect from me with the MTCC, or the BUTT (Building Under The Tube) as we called it, and the knowledge that he basically refused to design something within budget, and the further knowledge that he seems to be somewhat retarded when it comes to building materials.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 1:41 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
a little more vision:

Transcending Type-Stadium
STUDIO GANG, 2004
Designed for the U.S. Pavillion at the 2004 Venice Biennale, the stadium design explores the potential of an urban stadium to accommodate throngs of people and disappear when not in use. The proposed structure would employ a kinetic seating bowl, lifted 30 floors above street level, comprised of a series of transforming seating and support elements, many constructed to fold into the adjacent high-rise buildings in a dense urban center.

That would've been fucking awesome. Oh man...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 2:29 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ But what'd happen to the fly balls? lol

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:21 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Pure Awesomeness right there in CHicago.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
Funny how people will flee from an argument when they are out-facted.
I completely agree with your points about Gehry, an architect who doesn't design things to be functional isn't an architect at all, but a sculptor. Architecture is not just making cool looking things, its making things that are cool looking, but can be used.

It reminds me of Weese's Humanities building in Madison, it looks fucking sweet, but if you ever go inside its completely shitty because it takes like 10 minutes to get anywhere in there assuming you can find your way around inside in the first place.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:41 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Hence the teardown...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 4:36 AM
BANNED

^^^ Its not being torn down yet, there is a group of people trying to save it. I don't know how they plan to fix it, but if they can't fix the interior it needs to be destroyed...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 4:38 PM
Bears of antiquity

Koolhass did an awesome library here in Seattle, although the interior is a neverending nightmare.

However, I wish we could return to functional elegance, like the Tower Life building in San Antonio, the Woolworth Building, Cashy in Denver, or the WaMu Tower in Seattle. Straightforward design with all the money put into going vertical rather than at any obtuse angle you can fit onto a load-bearing bolt.

The binned Transbay tower is the one I miss the most. I hate crap like the Tour Schmoo in Paris.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 7:41 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
That would've been fucking awesome. Oh man...
Not so much fun in the rain, so... where a raincoat when needed. The world NEEDS a ballpark like this. I'd go eventhough I don't care about baseball at all.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 12:17 AM
BANNED

The problem with that would be that ever home run would result in a broken window or a car or pedestrian being hit at street level unless they put up a net of some sort.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 2:01 AM
They all float down here

They could put a net around it and as for rain, well it's rain...you get it at most ballparks regardless.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 2:03 AM
They all float down here

haha, I just noticed there is no outfield wall, so if a player was going for the ball, he'd fall right over the edge and plummet to his death. Nice.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 2:18 AM
All aboard the Failboat

What about wind? gets pretty gusty at 30 stories, you'd need to retrain players to compensate for added wind and sudden directional changes, not to mention the effect of all the other buildings on wind direction. a 5mph gust on the street can get to 20+ on the 30th floor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture