HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:48 PM
James

Awesome picture! Thank you for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:00 PM

Construction view from the riverwalk. Taken on 01/25/18

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 7:30 AM

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 7:55 AM

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:21 PM

Five and a half floors poured. I was told by a surveyor with the concrete contractor that they plan to be done pouring the eight floors and roof by the end of March, weather permitting.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 7:45 PM

This looks cool, I like the palms & arches along the river. Great pic of the progress guys. Keep em coming!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 7:55 PM

Just took this during lunch.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 4:29 AM
JACKinBeantown

Awesome progress! Too bad it's not 30 stories taller.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:04 PM

Although eight stories, this is a WONDERFUL REDEVELOPMENT that will enhance the area tremendously!!!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 6:20 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Although eight stories, this is a WONDERFUL REDEVELOPMENT that will enhance the area tremendously!!!
Totally agree. That side of the river needed to be revamped tremendously.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Totally agree. That side of the river needed to be revamped tremendously.
I get both sides honestly. Yeah I'm glad that anything is happening to fill in the density, but it was a prime opportunity to build something much greater and taller, and they blew it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 9:07 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Pride28 View Post
I get both sides honestly. Yeah I'm glad that anything is happening to fill in the density, but it was a prime opportunity to build something much greater and taller, and they blew it.
Our city motto.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Pride28 View Post

We are NOT like most same ole, same ole, American cities! We are a historical, unique city.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
We are NOT like most same ole, same ole, American cities! We are a historical, unique city.
So is Austin, Houston, Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, many cities in the Midwest, and even Laredo, Texas.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah... nothing says “unique and historical” like building a generic Hampton Inn in a prime downtown location.

🙄

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Yeah... nothing says “unique and historical” like building a generic Hampton Inn in a prime downtown location.

🙄

Sorry, a 300 year old city is unique in America.
And again, any development in that area will be a tremendous redevelopment!!
You just don't get it

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
So is Austin, Houston, Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, many cities in the Midwest, and even Laredo, Texas.
Sorry, Austin, Houston, Chicago, etc, etc, etc are not 300 year old cities....

San Antonio: A unique and historical American city

Other unique and historical American cities:

New Orleans
Boston
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Baltimore
New York City

Get it??

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 4:37 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

First and only warning. Back to the topic at hand. There are other areas of this website where such discussions can take place. This thread will not be one of them.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 12:17 AM

Historically, this was the site of the former Veramendi Palace, the surviving wooden doors of which are preserved and on display inside the Alamo shrine. The leading Veramendi family and their prominent house had deep connections to the early settlement of San Antonio and the family tragedy of Alamo defender Jim Bowie, who courted here and married Ursula Veramendi. Alamo defender Ben Milam was killed outside the doors of the palace and first buried within its courtyard.

(Photo from The Rivard Report by Paul Bubel on Flickr)

We have enough photographs, drawings, descriptions, and knowledge of comparable and contemporary architecture to reconstruct a fair approximation of the lost Veramendi Palace. Our primary direct model is the similar and contemporary Spanish Governor's Palace on Military Plaza facing City Hall. Loath as many, including myself, might normally be to historical recreations of long lost buildings, just imagine if we had indeed recreated such a landmark on Soledad Street with a courtyard garden stepping down to the Riverwalk and filled it with collected artifacts and memorabilia from the Alamo era. What is another nondescript hotel or bland office building when we could again have a "Veramendi Palace," a name steeped in our city's core history, modeled like this:

(Photo from Robey Architecture, Inc.)

(Photo from TripAdvisor)

Development in this neglected part of the downtown core is always welcome, and most of use do want big buildings and skyscrapers. However, what of this rather plain Hampton Inn, which could just have easily been Ramada or La Quinta, speaks to San Antonio as a "unique and historical American city" or of this site as a storied place of the Veramendi, Jim Bowie, of Ben Milam? Surely not the post-modern roof tiles, the eventual arches, or a plaque on the sidewalk. The building now under construction is development for development's sake, which is fine too, but I don't go to the nearby Hotel Valencia and think in my tourist suite, "this brand new building has some roof tiles--feel and breathe the history of Mediterranean Italianate San Antonio as a city unique in world!" I'm sure the Hampton Inn will be nice when it is finished and will help to fill out downtown as we look at it from the boat tour, but it doesn't rise to the level of unique history or great architecture. If we want to sell ourselves alongside New Orleans or Savannah, which indeed are San Antonio's historical contemporaries, former colonial rivals, and excellent models to follow as cities famed for their history, perseveration, and atmosphere, then we need to start showcasing our own comparable roots. We couldn't even give this building a deferential throwback name like "Hotel Veramendi."

Last edited by Hindentanic; Feb 25, 2018 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindentanic View Post
Historically, this was the site of the former Veramendi Palace, the surviving wooden doors of which are preserved and on display inside the Alamo shrine. The leading Veramendi family and their prominent house had deep connections to the early settlement of San Antonio and the family tragedy of Alamo defender Jim Bowie, who courted here and married Ursula Veramendi. Alamo defender Ben Milam was killed outside the doors of the palace and first buried within its courtyard.

We have enough photographs, drawings, descriptions, and knowledge of comparable and contemporary architecture to reconstruct a fair approximation of the lost Veramendi Palace. Our primary direct model is the similar and contemporary Spanish Governor's Palace on Military Plaza facing City Hall. Loath as many, including myself, might normally be to historical recreations of long lost buildings, just imagine if we had indeed recreated such a landmark on Soledad Street with a courtyard garden stepping down to the Riverwalk and filled it with collected artifacts and memorabilia from the Alamo era. What is another nondescript hotel or bland office building when we could again have a "Veramendi Palace," a name steeped in our city's core history, modeled like this:

Development in this neglected part of the downtown core is always welcome, and most of use do want big buildings and skyscrapers. However, what of this rather plain Hampton Inn, which could just have easily been Ramada or La Quinta, speaks to San Antonio as a "unique and historical American city" or of this site as a storied place of the Veramendi, Jim Bowie, of Ben Milam? Surely not the post-modern roof tiles, the eventual arches, or a plaque on the sidewalk. The building now under construction is development for development's sake, which is fine too, but I don't go to the nearby Hotel Valencia and think in my tourist suite, "this brand new building has some roof tiles--feel and breathe the history of Mediterranean Italianate San Antonio as a city unique in world!" I'm sure it will be nice when it is finished and will help to fill out downtown as we look at it from the boat tour, but it doesn't rise to the level of unique history or great architecture. They couldn't even give it a deferential throwback name like "Hotel Veramendi."
Thank you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio