HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
That's an amazing story. Pretty much captures the Philadelphia blue collar mentality.
That is a great anecdote, but allow me to present another one: My father was a white / union / blue collar. Grew up in Logan and later bought and restored a Victorian in University City. While he (with my mother) always owned one personal car and for many years had a work truck (issued by his employer) which he used to commute for jobs outside of the city, he much preferred the periods when he could take the trolley to and from construction sites in Center City or at Penn/HUP. He also loved to walk - every day. I remember he once sold a 1982 model year car in 1993 (purchased new, my family's only automobile during that period). It had just over 50,000 miles on it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Agreed. I don't think most would argue that these had to be preserved at all costs, IF the right project came along. However, tearing them down on spec was a short-sighted act of vandalism.
Absolutely. Our views on the subject are pretty much aligned.
A similar example of NOT 'the right project' (in my opinion) would be the brownstone that was demolished for an addendum to 1900 Arch. Demolish the brownstone for a transformative project (like ACC) or even something not hideous/cheap-looking, and my jimmies are not rustled in the least.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techchallenger View Post
That is a great anecdote, but allow me to present another one: My father was a white / union / blue collar. Grew up in Logan and later bought and restored a Victorian in University City . . . .He also loved to walk - every day.
Of course there are many thousands of people like your dad. There are just alot more not like your dad (my extended family has dozens of them, people who gradually migrated from Logan to the Lower NE to Lower Bucks over the decades since the 1950s). Which explains a lot of the car-oriented / suburb-idealizing mentality of many people in Philly, particularly outside "Greater Center City". To them, the city is a place to escape. Many such people work for City government. Thus the City parking lots like at 16th & Cherry.

Mind you, I'm not saying they ought to be different. Many of those neighborhoods are/were stressful, unsafe, noisy, dirty, crowded places. Who wouldn't dream of leaving some such places or at least seek comfort in aspirational notions of luxury (like nice cars) to ward off the surrounding chaos? In any event, it's their business. I'm just saying the City shouldn't provide free cars and parking for the ones that work for the City. You want to work for the City and your job is downtown? Bike, take transit, or drive your own car and park it in a private lot on your own dime. Please don't make us pay for it and please don't pollute our streets with ugly surface lots.

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Aug 19, 2015 at 7:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 7:34 PM

I agree with most of your sentiments above. I suppose I take umbrage only with my interpretation of your generality "Pretty much captures the Philadelphia blue collar mentality." Speak in generalities as we all do on occasion, and it won't be difficult to find someone that has a problem with it!

[Please don't read this thinking I'm upset/angry - I assure you I'm not.]

Anyways, I certainly hope something attractive is built on this parking lot soon!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 8:31 PM

Looks like these plans might be dead, but that may be for the better. Hopefully a developer will come along and buy this sliver and the parking lot from the city and develop the entire lot. We'll keep this thread open for now should that happen.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
That's an amazing story. Pretty much captures the Philadelphia blue collar mentality.
It's not a Philly-only thing - it's a post-war mentality. Nassau County Long Island is full of about 1 million people, many of whom WWII vets, who fled the city in the 50s for greener pastures and to worship at the alter of the automobile

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It's not a Philly-only thing - it's a post-war mentality. Nassau County Long Island is full of about 1 million people, many of whom WWII vets, who fled the city in the 50s for greener pastures and to worship at the alter of the automobile
I guess I veered this way off topic, but anyway, obviously what you say is true.

But I think an interesting aspect of Philly compared to many other top tier (urbanistically speaking) North American cities is that not only do the suburbanites have a (shockingly) suburban mentality, but vast swaths of the urban population do too. This is probably not so much the case in Boston, DC, Seattle, Montreal, Vancouver, etc. Even NYC. All kinds of historical and physical reasons for this, of course. Inner city Philly can be a particularly stressful place to grow up.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 6:35 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Looks like these plans might be dead, but that may be for the better. Hopefully a developer will come along and buy this sliver and the parking lot from the city and develop the entire lot. We'll keep this thread open for now should that happen.
The City doesn't own this particular lot. But an assemblage of this lot and the City-owned parking lot behind 1515 Arch/One Parkway would be a pretty decent spot for middle-income apartments, especially ones aimed at Hahneman and Friends Select workers.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 3:28 PM

I really hope something gets built here. It makes sense that 8th and 15th Streets between Vine and Market are riddled with parking lots - since both streets serve as exits from 676. But at the same time, the parking lots are an ugly welcome into town.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2015, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techchallenger View Post

Personally, I think the demolition of this handsome, antibellum structure was a disgrace.
Yeah, that's too bad. At the least they could have made a great bar for happy hour. It looked like it had that "Pub" feel. Another "Oh wells".
Maybe it's for the best (as "they" say)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 7:45 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Site's for sale.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 8:03 PM

Hopefully we'll get somebody to buy this site and the city owned parking lot next door to build a nice 20 or so floor highrise on.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 4:35 AM

Looks like this site is up for sale.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...near-city-hall

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 1:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Hopefully we'll get somebody to buy this site and the city owned parking lot next door to build a nice 20 or so floor highrise on.
they will not sell that parking lot. Not only does it provide loading dock access is the only parking for the few senior level people who get parking spots as well as some of the city dept cars.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
they will not sell that parking lot. Not only does it provide loading dock access is the only parking for the few senior level people who get parking spots as well as some of the city dept cars.
They can always sell it with conditions that the new addition includes parking for those people.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:52 PM

Welp... no information on this project in a while. Going to close this thread for now. I will reopen it if more information surfaces.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 2:44 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Rumor is somebody saw construction work on this site. Can anybody snag any photos?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 12:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Rumor is somebody saw construction work on this site. Can anybody snag any photos?
across the street where another building was torn down, not this site.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 1:55 PM

It's 1535 Cherry across the street, which looks like a foundation is being worked on now.

1528 Cherry:

1535 Cherry:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 2:18 PM

Yeah, no work on this site. This project is dead and the thread can be re-closed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive