HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Can't wait to see this plan come to fruition. It will be a game changer to expanding the urbanized area around the future station, and increase Trillium ridership significantly.

Here's another view of the masterplan that shows the expanded Plante Baths.
Definitely. I can see it being an attractive spot for anyone working/going to Carleton, working downtown, Tunney's or the new hospital and not wanting to drive. You're only a few stops away via train. Hopefully Trillium Line frequency will be increased and is reliable when the expansion is done to make this a viable scenario.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Definitely. I can see it being an attractive spot for anyone working/going to Carleton, working downtown, Tunney's or the new hospital and not wanting to drive. You're only a few stops away via train. Hopefully Trillium Line frequency will be increased and is reliable when the expansion is done to make this a viable scenario.
I foresee some significant ridership increase along the northern section of the line. This project alone could easily add 10k-15k people. Another 5k at Dow's Lake and Bayview each, and the hospital. I can't see Trillium have enough capacity 10 years out. If they could upgrade the line north of South Keys to allow 6 minute frequencies within 10 years, that could provide enough capacity to keep-up with growth.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 1:42 PM

City of Ottawa document with more site plans pages 32-36.

https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...ppend_a_en.pdf

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 1:50 PM

I hope the Adult High School is preserved. It's a great piece of mid-Century architecture.

It opened in 1965 at the High School of Commerce. The Commerce school closed in 1990 due to declining enrollment and re-opened the same year as an adult high school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_High_School_(Ottawa)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 2:30 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
City of Ottawa document with more site plans pages 32-36.

https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...ppend_a_en.pdf

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 9:22 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
I hope the Adult High School is preserved. It's a great piece of mid-Century architecture.

It opened in 1965 at the High School of Commerce. The Commerce school closed in 1990 due to declining enrollment and re-opened the same year as an adult high school.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_High_School_(Ottawa)
“The Adult High School (300 Rochester Street) will continue its institutional role and serve the community and the broader City. As it redevelops, it should adhere to Mainstreet policies.”

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 1:48 AM

I communicated with someone from Heritage Ottawa a few years ago when I considering writing a piece on the Adult High School and its impending demolition with regards to the Gladstone CDP. This is from the email they sent me. I recognize how it may need to be renovated and how the podium plays a role in how it interacts with Gladstone and the yard behind it. But the three-building complex with a plaza in between and a courtyard skylight. It's a pretty interesting building. I'm sure that as the area grows they may need a school in the future, anyway.

Quote:
It was the High School of Commerce from its construction in 1967 until it became the Adult High School in 1990.

Before 1967 the High School of Commerce was housed in the west end of the Glebe Collegiate building on Bronson.

The 1967 building was designed by Ottawa-born architect Sydney Lithwick, who died in 2008
(obituary at http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...d7313&sponsor=

Heritage Ottawa would certainly be concerned about any plans to demolish the building, without considering first its importance as an example of modernist architecture and a symbol of the building boom that culminated in Centennial year, 1967.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
I communicated with someone from Heritage Ottawa a few years ago when I considering writing a piece on the Adult High School and its impending demolition with regards to the Gladstone CDP. This is from the email they sent me. I recognize how it may need to be renovated and how the podium plays a role in how it interacts with Gladstone and the yard behind it. But the three-building complex with a plaza in between and a courtyard skylight. It's a pretty interesting building. I'm sure that as the area grows they may need a school in the future, anyway.
Heritage Ottawa is often behind the 8-ball, I find. The Chateau Laurier is a great example of this, where they raised alarms after an expansion was proposed instead of years earlier when they should have been aware that zoning could allow something like this to happen.

There are other examples of heritage buildings that they've tried to save after the order to demo was put out.

Don't get me wrong, Heritage Ottawa is a great organization that deserves our praise, but I wish they were a little more proactive once in a while.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
I tried to watch yesterday's Planning Commitee meeting, but the audio and video are WAY out of sync.
They either fixed the link or my internet was wonky. Presentation starts a little after 35 minutes

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Heritage Ottawa is often behind the 8-ball, I find. The Chateau Laurier is a great example of this, where they raised alarms after an expansion was proposed instead of years earlier when they should have been aware that zoning could allow something like this to happen.

There are other examples of heritage buildings that they've tried to save after the order to demo was put out.

Don't get me wrong, Heritage Ottawa is a great organization that deserves our praise, but I wish they were a little more proactive once in a while.
Oh, I definitely agree. Heritage stuff only gets brought up after a demolition is about to happen. When I sent the email to them a few years ago I pointed out that the plan was to demolish the school, but I doubt that they'd bother to do anything until the last minute when it's too late to save it. There is a lot they could do to research buildings in Ottawa and work on getting heritage status or something to preserve the buildings we should preserve before it's too late.

I wonder what Phyllis Lambert did to save Old Montreal from demolition...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:50 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

City gets big discount to buy federal land in Little Italy
Feds gave $22M in discounts to help build public amenities in affordable housing community

Joanne Chianello · CBC News
Posted: Mar 02, 2021 8:55 PM ET | Last Updated: 11 hours ago

The city's plan to buy a prime tract of Little Italy property is nearly a done deal after a council committee unanimously approved the purchase late Tuesday at a price that's a fraction of the land's estimated commercial value.

The $2.87-million acquisition could be a game-changer for the inner-city neighbourhood, which is starved for green space, since the property is largely earmarked for a large new park and a recreation centre expansion.

The 2.55 hectares of land at 1010 Somerset St. is bounded by Somerset Street W. to the north, the Trillium Line tracks to the west, Oak Street to the south and Plant Recreation Centre and the adjacent Plouffe Park to the east.

It's part of a former federal warehouse complex, originally built in the 1940s as a munitions and equipment depot. The warehouse was demolished in 2015 and the federal government declared the land surplus.

The southern part of the warehouse land — a tract known as 933 Gladstone Ave. — was sold in 2019 to Ottawa Community Housing, the city's social housing agency, for $7 million, as the planned site of a mixed-income community dubbed Gladstone Village.

It will combine affordable and subsidized housing with market-value housing.

Now, Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) is selling the city the adjacent northern portion at a cut-rate price so it can be integrated into the Gladstone Village concept.

PSPC originally set the purchase price at $25 million, based on market appraisals and assuming the land, near a future LRT Phase 2 station, was going to be used only for a straight-ahead residential development.

But the federal government offers discounts if the land's future use aligns with its policy priorities.

In this case, the government ended up applying seven price adjustments. They covered everything from the fact that most of the land would go to public uses — including a one-hectare public park and a community centre expansion — to the environmentally sustainable development plan.

The discounted price also credited the city's plan to address reconciliation by involving the Algonquins of Ontario, who will help provide Indigenous employment and economic development opportunities, as well as space for Algonquin artists.

As well, the city saved $2 million by buying the land "as is," meaning the municipality is responsible for any future soil clean-up.

All in all, PSPC knocked $14 million off the price, leaving the city with a price tag of $11 million.

That left the city needing to convince Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. that the land qualified for future discounts under a program that encourages using surplus federal property for affordable housing.

The land itself isn't earmarked for housing, but the city convinced CMHC that it would be used to support the affordable housing in Gladstone Village.

In the end, CMHC agreed, but the city had to commit to also build 300 residential units at 1010 Somerset St. by 2038, half of them affordable. The combination was enough to shave another $8.25 million off the purchase price, in the form of a "forgivable mortgage" from CMHC.

Taking various taxes and fees into account, that leaves the city $2.87 million to pay. It will use $1.82 million from the city-wide park fund and $1 million from the Somerset ward park fund, with the rest from the municipality's real estate office budget.

Full council and the federal Treasury Board must still approve the sale.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...-87m-1.5928612

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:47 AM

that's a pretty awesome deal. Looks like the city scrambled to find the financial resources drawing from a bunch of different accounts.

I hope they still build two buildings at somerset, and make use of the underpass for vehicular access. could be a pretty cool development.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 10:54 PM

Plan of subdivision submitted in July.

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0022/details

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 3:37 PM

What would happen to those buildings next to the Plant Recreation Centre on Somerset?
I don't see them on the maps in the City of Ottawa Gladstone Village documents.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 1:50 PM

The first proposed building has been added to devapps and it looks terrific!

Architects are Diamond Schmitt and KWC

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0149/details

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 1:56 PM

That is fantastic!!!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 2:18 PM

Looks great!! I'm really surprised they are starting with that block tho. I was hoping to see the Block next to the station developed first and the one here should've been last, but im happy with anything going up here nonetheless.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 3:23 PM

Beautiful! Looks very similar to the office building at Zibi too. Diamond-Schmitt are a Toronto based architect so it's nice to see some new designs coming in from outside of the usual Ottawa based firms.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 3:24 PM

I really like that design. I think the podium materials and design really suit the surrounding neighbourhood, a bit of an echo of the 1950's and 60's stuff nearby.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Looks great!! I'm really surprised they are starting with that block tho. I was hoping to see the Block next to the station developed first and the one here should've been last, but im happy with anything going up here nonetheless.
Last time I was there, the area next to the station was being used as a staging area for the new station with a lot of trucks and equipment, whereas I think this site is mostly empty right now. I don't know how soon they want to start building, but they are probably removing the risk that Trillium line delays could push back their start date.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa