HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
Definitely sad to see with all of the history the Lloyd Center has. Has anyone heard any updates on the LiveNation development at Lloyd Center? I believe it was supposed to be a House of Blues. I wonder if that is still in the works.
My understanding was that was cancelled. Same with the theater on the opposite end. Last I heard they had under 100 tenants and that includes the medical offices and whatnot on the top floor.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 11:45 PM
BANNED

Looks like the Lloyd Center will finally meet it’s end. Even the recent remodel couldn’t help it. What a waste of money that was. As having been to Clackamas mall and Washington Sq mall recently the activities between those malls and lloyd center couldn’t have been night and day different.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It’s hard to see how the Lloyd Center survives this. Leases in malls are typically on a co-tenancy basis, which means that smaller retailers pay significantly reduced rents when the anchor stores are vacant. With no anchors left, there’ll probably be barely any rent coming in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
My understanding was that was cancelled. Same with the theater on the opposite end. Last I heard they had under 100 tenants and that includes the medical offices and whatnot on the top floor.
That's disappointing. I was looking forward to both of those.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Sorry for repeating myself, but assuming no baseball park ends up on the Lloyd site, I hope for complete demolition of the outdated and labyrinthine mall structures and redevelopment with extension of the 200 foot block /street grid through the mega-blocks to encourage the pedestrian scale that has made the central city of Portland so walkable and active.
Agree wholeheartedly. A future plaque or two will sum up this historical era just fine IMO. Removing the mall might increase the pressure on the blocks around MLK/Broadway/Weidler to transition into a more urban streetscape as well – just about everything around there is a depressing reminder of the shortsighted failures of the previous century.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 9:29 AM
A before E

I really think the future for the Lloyd Center will be an MLB stadium and a redevelopment of the other half of the site. The MLB is going to be looking for new cash to help offset the losses from the pandemic and the easiest way to do that is by expanding the league. They will probably tell the A's to shit of get off the pot, the Rays will probably stay in St. Pete for the foreseeable future, and that would open up Portland for a new team to capitalize on the growth that has been happening here.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 7:38 PM

Lloyd Center really is the best location for the stadium. All of the transportation infrastructure is in place and a vibrant neighborhood is building. All sports arenas and many hotels within blocks. Riverfront looks nice, but its isolated from the city.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:35 AM

Unfortunately, I hear that the events of this year have diminished MLB’s interest in a Portland team.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
Unfortunately, I hear that the events of this year have diminished MLB’s interest in a Portland team.
Oof. Lately I haven't been following too closely, but I was afraid of that.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Yet a team, Houston, can blatantly cheat and get a slap on the wrist. MLB doesn't have any idea what their future is.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 2:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Doubt it. Protests have been dead for awhile now. It was brief moment in time nobody will remember by next year.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 5:18 AM

Just posted this in the Portland Diamond Project thread - MLB is still up in the air but by no means dead (no mention of Lloyd or any other potential stadium location, but I wager the recent loss of Macy's has pretty much sealed its fate as a retail destination):

Canzano: Did you hear the cheers? Election night fell the right way for Portland’s pro-sports crowd

John Canzano | November 3, 2020 | The Oregonian

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/jo...rts-crowd.html

Before bedtime on Tuesday night the pro-sports crowd in Portland pumped a fist and breathed a sigh of relief. A couple of critical election-night results tipped the right way at City Hall.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Bringing Major League Baseball to Portland feels especially challenging right now. But that effort is still alive and the group has been regular contact with Mayor Wheeler, who remains a supporter. Representatives for the Portland Diamond Project aren’t talking these days. But one well-connected city source said on Wednesday: “If Sarah had won I think the baseball conversation would be dead.”

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 6:25 PM

That’s good news!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 8:39 PM

Yes, noted sports fan Ted Wheeler.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Yes, noted sports fan Ted Wheeler.
That is a funny thread. Twitterati just aren’t his base, I’ll bet Twitter users voted against him 90:10!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 8:59 PM

From Willamette Week
November 17, 2020 Article

Quote:
Macy’s Will Close Lloyd Center Flagship Store Amid Pandemic
Fallout for Retailers Already hit by the closure of Nordstrom, Sears and Marshalls, Lloyd Center is reeling.

Both Macy's and Lloyd Center were in trouble before the pandemic hit. Macy's and other large department stores have struggled to keep up with Americans' changing shopping patterns, as they move away from malls and more toward online purchases and boutiques.
Not looking good for Lloyd Center's future at all.

Continue reading...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Honestly what is the point of lloyd center with no main stores at all? You might as well hiuse the homeless there at this point

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 11:47 PM

Lloyd Center was actively courting the local MLB applicants so it's apparent that both the concert venue and the new movie theater complex on the east end are dead.

Today I heard a rumor that there is a midrise residential proposal for the Lloyd area. I can't find any citation online but it points out where the future lies for much of central Portland.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
Lloyd Center was actively courting the local MLB applicants so it's apparent that both the concert venue and the new movie theater complex on the east end are dead.

Today I heard a rumor that there is a midrise residential proposal for the Lloyd area. I can't find any citation online but it points out where the future lies for much of central Portland.
I wouldn’t say “actively courting” I think that was a rumor created because of obvious reasons. Like a huge dead mall in a central filled transportation infrastructure that could be had.

As far as the rumor of the midrise I doubt that happens when AAT could have had started on their projects but bailed because the area isn’t attractive enough for demand.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
Not quite the Lloyd, but that could be large development being discussed over in the Central Eastside thread? (Technically not the Central Eastside either, and maybe worth its own thread if it moves forward...)

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:05 AM

It's not just Lloyd. It's everywhere.

https://www.vox.com/recode/21717536/...pping-covid-19

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland