HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I usually see quite a few airlines flying over my house and also over my work which is just south of my house. Yesterday, I saw one Southwest jet. I was in my yard most of the day.

What I am seeing are a bunch of private planes, more than usual.
Granted the volume I hear is down, but I'm still hearing them regularly as they fly their inbound route over Round Rock in the aftn/evening

Then again, its right at that junction where ABIA traffic interacts with what is going into Austin Executive

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 3:37 PM

There is definitely a drop in the volume from what I hear over my house as well, but still seeing more than I would think. Still surprised the really late night flights and really early morning flights are going.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 8:57 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwab View Post
There is definitely a drop in the volume from what I hear over my house as well, but still seeing more than I would think. Still surprised the really late night flights and really early morning flights are going.
Why flights are completely allowed right now blows my mind completely. Like, I get that we need flights, but the fact that I can just get on a flight to NYC right now is weird as hell.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 11:35 PM

Exactly what's happening here in Vegas as well. I drove on the strip a few days ago and I have never seen it so dead. On the bright side traffic is very light and people are jogging more.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 6:23 AM

What's happening to airport operations? Are the same number of air traffic controllers and baggage handlers coming to work? What about TSA screeners and sales people?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 12:14 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
What's happening to airport operations? Are the same number of air traffic controllers and baggage handlers coming to work? What about TSA screeners and sales people?
Skeleton crew. Cataclysmic drop in traffic. 15+ aircraft remain parked in the overnight spots. SWA announced they were cutting more than 40% of their flights in May but I bet it happens sooner.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 6:12 PM
Meh

I haven't heard a commercial jet in days, and I've been sitting here with three windows open around me. I heard APD's helicopter fly over last night, and a private plane, but no jets. It's also been so quiet at night. We usually get a good bit of traffic on our street past midnight, but it's been quiet, and there's little noise at all even from the surrounding arterial streets. I haven't even heard many sirens either, even with a fire station being a half mile away.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 2, 2020 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 6:50 PM

Up here in Brushy Creek we hear helicopter traffic every evening, but it may be related to the nearby RR hospital on 620.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 1:20 AM

Quote:
As of 0900 this morning, there were some 126 departing flights cancelled for the day, with 69 operating departures. TSA is down to one open checkpoint, next to the AA counter. Many of the concession are closed or have greatly reduced hours. Place is very empty these days.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 1:37 AM

Stored aircraft?

Are any airlines storing aircraft at AUS?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS View Post
There are a few aircraft parked longer than normal, but there are still fewer aircraft than would have been overnight prior to this.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 4:51 PM

How many of the TSA staff and retail employees are wearing masks?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS View Post
From what I've read, most airlines are either storing aircraft at their hubs or at large, but very remote sites (guessing cheap hangar/tiedown fees compared to bigger cities)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 2:24 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
From what I've read, most airlines are either storing aircraft at their hubs or at large, but very remote sites (guessing cheap hangar/tiedown fees compared to bigger cities)
I would imagine most are being stored at the usual desert locations. One would want to "store" planes inside or in a dry environment.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 3:45 AM
Meh

And away from hurricane, tornado, and hail prone areas. If you're staring down the possibility of financial disaster, you don't park your moneymaker in harm's way.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 4:18 AM

Quote:
How many of the TSA staff and retail employees are wearing masks?
And are they still conducting body searches?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
And away from hurricane, tornado, and hail prone areas. If you're staring down the possibility of financial disaster, you don't park your moneymaker in harm's way.
Delta stashed a lot of its fleet at Birmingham, AL. See pic in article. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21I1JD

Here's a link to an article about where all the big airlines are parking planes. https://thepointsguy.com/news/airlin...s-coronavirus/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 7:36 PM

April Commission meeting was canceled.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:41 PM

Doggett announces $58 million for Austin airport for COVID-19 relief

By Philip Jankowski
Posted at 11:03 AM Updated at 11:08 AM

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is set to receive $58 million in federal aid from the recently approved coronavirus stimulus package.

Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin, announced the relief Tuesday in a news release saying it would help maintain operations and construction projects at the Austin airport as air travel plummets.

“While it is no panacea for hard times our local airports are facing, this funding will help prevent Austin-Bergstrom from any freefall and maintain planned payroll as well as safety and construction work,” Doggett said. “This investment allows local airports flexibility to deploy resources as needed. But so much more needs to be done; until we resolve our health care crisis, we cannot resolve our worsening economic crisis.”

The money will relieve the airport from using its money to match grants in the federal Airport Improvement Program that were planned in this year’s budget.

It is the latest in federal funds being sent to the Austin area from the CARES Act, the $2 trillion stimulus package. This month, Doggett, the chairman of the House Ways and Means Health Subcommittee, announced Cap Metro will get $104 million from the federal government while the city of Austin is set to get $4.6 million in Community Development Block Grant for housing programs.

Link to AAS Article

Last edited by eskimo33; Apr 15, 2020 at 5:42 PM. Reason: Corrected Title

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 7:06 AM
Meh

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...me-last-april/
Quote:
337,227 fewer travelers have flown out of ABIA so far this month than this time last April

by: Russell Falcon
Posted: Apr 16, 2020 / 03:38 PM CDT / Updated: Apr 16, 2020 / 03:38 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Along with most airports nationwide, Austin-Bergstrom International Airport has seen a huge reduction in the amount of traffic passing through during the COVID-19 pandemic and stay at home orders.

So far this month, ABIA has seen 337,227 fewer travelers come through than at this point in the month last April.

The total flyers for April 1-15, 2019 was 348,957 — compared to April 1-15, 2020’s total of 11,730, it’s easy to see COVID-19’s impact on air travel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin