Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 3:05 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Very well done.
Thanks, Architype!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 3:45 PM

Some Ottawa images from CTV Photos of the Day.

Golden Triangle/Centretown.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/photo-gall...2024-1.6709271

The Escarpment, LeBreton (with the library u/c) and the West skyline.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/photo-gall...2023-1.6670022

CBD.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/photo-gall...2023-1.6628306

Supreme Court and Zibi.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/photo-gall...2023-1.6628306

Parliament Hill, West skyline, Zibi and Hull.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/photo-gall...2024-1.6796809

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 5:33 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalkid View Post
I thought these were cool of the Spring Garden Road area of Halifax. You can see the North End skyline in the distance, with the tallest being Richmond Yards u/c:

Closer view of Dresden Row terminating at Citadel Hill (North End skyline top left, Downtown top right):

Source:https://www.viewpoint.ca/cutsheet/20...en-Row-Halifax
The North End skyline is the most dramatic change. Is it plausible that the tallest buildings in Halifax will one day be there and not downtown? I know downtown has severe height restrictions due to views from Citadel Hill but surely restrictions are less severe in the North End? A similar phenomenon is occurring in Vancouver and Ottawa where the tallest buildings are gravitating to areas outside the traditional CBD. Perhaps over the long term downtown Halifax should remain 10-30 floors and build its tall buildings in the North End. Wouldn't be a bad thing imo.

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 26, 2024 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The North End skyline is the most dramatic change. Is it plausible that the tallest buildings in Halifax will one day be there and not downtown? I know downtown has severe height restrictions due to views from Citadel Hill but surely restrictions are less severe in the North End? A similar phenomenon is occurring in Vancouver and Ottawa where the tallest buildings are gravitating to areas outside the traditional CBD. Perhaps over the long term downtown Halifax should remain 10-30 floors and build its tall buildings in the North End. Wouldn't be a bad thing imo.
Yes this is already happening - the city's Tallest "One 77" and third tallest "Richmond Yards" are both being constructed outside of Downtown. Richmond Yards is in the North End and One 77 is by the Arm. Downtown has height restrictions that limit pretty much everything to 20-22 stories. Corridor zones on the rest of the peninsula have allowed 30ish since the adoption of the Centre Plan (which is how the 2 below are being constructed), and they are currently upzoning these areas to 40 stories. The result will be that Halifax's tallest buildings will be along Robie in the North End, or along Quinpool in the West End.

One 77:

Richmond Yards:

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DevelopmentsHFX/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 4:22 PM

ByWard Market/Rideau last summer.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ylaw-amendment

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 6:02 PM

That's a great shot, looking sharp Ottawa!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 7:16 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Yes this is already happening - the city's Tallest "One 77" and third tallest "Richmond Yards" are both being constructed outside of Downtown. Richmond Yards is in the North End and One 77 is by the Arm. Downtown has height restrictions that limit pretty much everything to 20-22 stories. Corridor zones on the rest of the peninsula have allowed 30ish since the adoption of the Centre Plan (which is how the 2 below are being constructed), and they are currently upzoning these areas to 40 stories. The result will be that Halifax's tallest buildings will be along Robie in the North End, or along Quinpool in the West End.
Thanks for the information. I'll be driving Toronto to Halifax in June and look forward to seeing all the changes.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 7:41 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

One 77:

What? I had no idea that was the tallest building in town. I thought but looked fairly tall when I drove by a couple weeks ago but the thought of it surpassing Fenwick never occurred to me.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
What? I had no idea that was the tallest building in town. I thought but looked fairly tall when I drove by a couple weeks ago but the thought of it surpassing Fenwick never occurred to me.
It's topped out at 111 meters! Fenwick is 106.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 9:23 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Need some East coast illustrators to draw some of these towers for the diagram section. Halifax is under-represented.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 9:46 PM
I am the law!

Keep in mind this new tallest just started growing and growing. It was never proposed. There were no renderings. It wasn't known if it was 17 storeys or 32.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 9:51 PM

/\ how does that even happen? Surely all Halifax proposals are a matter of public record and are available on the city’s development tracker website like every other Canadian city I can think of. Maybe this will change in the future as cities streamline or eliminate approval processes, but all residents should still know what’s being built in their neighbourhood

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 10:03 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Need some East coast illustrators to draw some of these towers for the diagram section. Halifax is under-represented.
I asked Vid to do some the other day and he said he will if he gets time.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 10:09 PM
I am the law!

As far as I know, the tower was built with as of right zoning and the community didn't need to be engaged. i guess you can go down to city hall and have the drawings in the public record pulled for a price.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 10:24 PM

/\ Thanks WhipperSnapper. Strange how not a single media outlet did that in Halifax as you’d think there would be public interest in what this rumoured tall building would look like. Kind of bizarre and yet cool at the same time seeing a new building going up and no one outside of those involved having a clue what it will be. Like a Christmas gift being slowly unwrapped (or built) before your eyes. Too bad it didn’t go rogue with random and unexplained outcrops and skywalks to nowhere, lol.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 10:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
As far as I know, the tower was built with as of right zoning and the community didn't need to be engaged. i guess you can go down to city hall and have the drawings in the public record pulled for a price.
They likely would have informed (not consulted) people in the area as well. Somebody said a planning office had drawings they had a look at.

Another factor in Halifax is there's a lot more apartment than condo construction and the condo presales materials come out earlier than apartments get marketed.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 12:46 AM

Kelowna

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 5:10 PM

Very picturesque Giallo, love the layers in those photos. For some reason Kelowna seems to be an ideal physical setting for high-rises, it just looks 'right'.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 10:38 PM

Thanks, zoomer. I think a big part of the physical setting being great for a skyline is because there are so many different natural vantage points to view it from.

Vancouver pano

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 12:20 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I know, American here, but isn't that Mount Rainier on the far right peaking up in that pano? That's an excellent pano, BTW.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada