HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 4:19 PM

[QUOTE=kwoldtimer;8876860]bla bla bla i' m so funny.../QUOTE]

You know what they say... if you have nothing nice to say just shut up.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 4:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quad = all terrain vehicle

Un "quatre roues" en français québécois
Ah comme un char tout-terrain dans les rues de la ville?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
CBC Ottawa reports that the Ottawa police have seized 15 vehicles this week for stunt driving.
Civil Servants Gone Wild.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 10:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Ah comme un char tout-terrain dans les rues de la ville?
Oui, c'est ceci:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cvtQP0MJUg

Aussi VTT: véhicule tout terrain.

Mais en France, un VTT c'est un vélo tout terrain. C'est un vélo de montagne au Québec, ou mountain bike en anglais.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 10:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

[QUOTE=vanatox;8876898]
Quote:
bla bla bla i' m so funny.../QUOTE]

You know what they say... if you have nothing nice to say just shut up.
He wanted the username "curmudgeon" but it was already taken!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 2:52 AM

I love Curmudgeon's posts I find I agree with him more often than I do with kw :p

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 4:50 AM

Here in Vancouver Sysco has laid off 50% of its employees and reduced deliveries.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Another thing I've noticed:

People driving fast(er) on city streets because they don't expect anyone to be there.
It's been really bad in Timmins lately for the same reason. But some huge speeding fines have been issued according to the media. A lot of people don't realize that the police have a much easier time stopping speeders when there is little traffic.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Quad = all terrain vehicle

Un "quatre roues" en français québécois
Everybody here calls them four-wheelers. (or quatre roues as well) Never heard "quad" until I travelled.

I mentioned on here that I've never seen so many snowmobiles out in my life. Many on the streets and trails. The OFSC (Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs) closed the trails about a week ago for everywhere in the province due to COVID-19 and the trail conditions in Timmins have been really good. Many people here were pissed but they are still riding on the trails. I'm not sure if the police here are enforcing the closure of the them. I think the idea behind the closure was to stop the long-distance travellers.

Since this thread is about the service industry, has anyone noticed that you don't see the travel ads that you normally see this time of year? For example the ones for Newfoundland and Labrador.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
It's been really bad in Timmins lately for the same reason. But some huge speeding fines have been issued according to the media. A lot of people don't realize that the police have a much easier time stopping speeders when there is little traffic.
The other evening I was driving down a freeway in Calgary doing about 100 to 110. This guy came down a ramp onto a merge lane speeding up to what had to have been 160 if not more. Never would have happened in normal times as there would have been way too much volume to even think of doing something so stupid. I normally have no problem with people going over the speed limit by 10 to 20 but this was absolutely crazy.

Funnily enough, the same night I saw a lot of people driving very slowly on some major roads where the speed limit is 80 or higher. It was like they had never driven before or at least driven on a multi lane road with interchanges. Maybe they were forced to by circumstances but it sure was odd to see.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:

Since this thread is about the service industry, has anyone noticed that you don't see the travel ads that you normally see this time of year? For example the ones for Newfoundland and Labrador.
I might have noticed if there was anything on to draw me to watch the channels I would normally see those ads on, like Sportsnet and TSN lol.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 4:12 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

Somewhat ironically, I've been getting a lot of ads for travel on SSP! Maybe triggered by posts like yours.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 1:23 AM

B.C. Restaurant & Foodservices Association estimates 25% of restaurants won't reopen after this is all over. The food service industry is BC's third largest private sector employer.

https://vancouversun.com/news/covid-...-7e914a7114ce/

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 3:18 AM
recession proof

I've noticed many people going 100-110 on typical rural Ontario highways when decades ago people stuck to 80-90km/h. On the 401 the slow pokes go 120 most go 135-140.

Sounds like SYY is going down: $21?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
B.C. Restaurant & Foodservices Association estimates 25% of restaurants won't reopen after this is all over. The food service industry is BC's third largest private sector employer.

https://vancouversun.com/news/covid-...-7e914a7114ce/
I think I've seen estimates that 25% of ALL small businesses will be gone by the time this is over.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 2:26 PM
sick transit, gloria

Was chatting with a friend who's head chef at a smaller Toronto brewery yesterday - with bottleshop sales and a limited takeout menu they have actually been able to do far better than anticipated. The big caveat is that this means just staying afloat, plus they are running on essentially a skeleton staff. Basically the brewmaster, chef and owners for everything that needs to be done. They are extremely busy but wouldn't be able to hire anyone else.

Apparently this is similar for a number of restaurants - they are pretty busy with takeout (and now off-license alcohol sales), but it's simply extending the time they can survive. For some places it's a better choice to lay off staff and just shutter everything.

It's also hard to say how long local takeout options remain popular as this extends. Those of us still working are often in a better financial position as there's not much to spend money on. But of course that doesn't apply across the board.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
I think I've seen estimates that 25% of ALL small businesses will be gone by the time this is over.
On the plus side, we've saved a bunch of 80 year olds.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 3:51 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Was chatting with a friend who's head chef at a smaller Toronto brewery yesterday - with bottleshop sales and a limited takeout menu they have actually been able to do far better than anticipated. The big caveat is that this means just staying afloat, plus they are running on essentially a skeleton staff. Basically the brewmaster, chef and owners for everything that needs to be done. They are extremely busy but wouldn't be able to hire anyone else.

That's funny - I was out for a walk yesterday and passed by a couple guys chatting on their front porch saying that business at the brewery was up. Perhaps that was your conversation that I was eavesdropping on.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 3:53 PM

Wasn't there something in the news the other day about alcohol sales being up 40%?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:21 PM

since I have to arrange a funeral. ( its been arranged but in a different fashion). I had noticed the industry is having to change. visitations are down to 15 people at most. I saw a funeral today. 3 vehicles. celebrations of life are all being held when this crisis ends. We can now do video viewings.

At nursing homes, since they are in lock down. staff have set up Face Time and Zoom for the clients.

Also stopped by an Auto body shop this week. they are all down in work load. ( you would think that would still be required but no) the staff said people are waiting because of deductibles.

My Car service shop is limiting bookings as well. and before you get the car back it is wiped down with sanitizer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada