HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:29 PM

King Charles of Canada just 18 months away?

Looks like Prince Charles will become King in 18 months time according to reports. If this does occur I wonder if this makes Canada and Australia's support of the monarchy erode to where they look to succeed from the commonwealth?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=spartandhp

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:32 PM

I'm an avid monarchist and would be irredeemably devastated if we become a republic.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:37 PM

Unless the Queen kicks it between now and then, Charles is more likely to become Regent than King. I'd be very surprised if HerM simply retired. And it will be a well-earned retirement.

Maybe we could import Harry and Meaghan and start our own Canadian dynasty! King Archie has a certain .... hmmm, never mind.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:37 PM

Who cares, the monarchy is a waste of time (and money when they visit)!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Unless the Queen kicks it between now and then, Charles is more likely to become Regent than King. I'd be very surprised if HerM simply retired. And it will be a well-earned retirement.

Maybe we could import Harry and Meaghan and start our own Canadian dynasty! King Archie has a certain .... hmmm, never mind.
This is the more likely scenario. She has always said that she would never abdicate.

I too am a monarchist. I could not abide turning our PM into a President and Head of State.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The article does not say the Queen would abdicate, only that Charles would take on the responsibility of Prince Regent. The Queen will remain the Queen, and will likely be around for another decade (if she's anything like her Mum).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Looks like Prince Charles will become King in 18 months time according to reports. If this does occur I wonder if this makes Canada and Australia's support of the monarchy erode to where they look to succeed from the commonwealth?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=spartandhp
secede.

Yes, I am that guy.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:42 PM

Do we actually still have someone ruling over us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The article does not say the Queen would abdicate, only that Charles would take on the responsibility of Prince Regent. The Queen will remain the Queen, and will likely be around for another decade (if she's anything like her Mum).
Operation London Bridge when she does pass.

Would much rather that $$$ goes towards Canadians as opposed to supporting the crown and all the colonialism it stood for

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In any event, when the Queen finally moves on to her greatly deserved reward, I'll only have one thing to say.........

"The Queen is dead, long live the King!!!"

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:46 PM

I would be ok with Canada becoming a republic if it means we can get a new constitution that is easier to amend so things like senate reform could actually be done.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I would be ok with Canada becoming a republic if it means we can get a new constitution that is easier to amend so things like senate reform could actually be done.
Getting rid of the monarchy can't happen fast enough for me.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
You really think this herd of cats called Canada would agree on a new constitution that would take rights away from Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces? Because that is the only way places like Alberta will agree to it.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Who cares, the monarchy is a waste of time (and money when they visit)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Getting rid of the monarchy can't happen fast enough for me.
Thankfully, we as a Commonwealth nation do not hold a majority of this kind of Americanised indifferent attitude.

I too am a monarchist

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We're ready.

Newfoundland and Labrador government prepares for Queen's eventual death

Quote:
The Demise of the Crown Act is working its way through the House of Assembly to get the province ready for the death of the 93-year-old monarch, who, by all reports, is in good health.

The act ensures government business continues as usual upon the death of the Queen. The act means anyone who has sworn an oath of office will not have to retake an oath to maintain their position or take a new oath to the next monarch, Prince Charles.

The law also applies to court proceedings. On court dockets across the province, Her Majesty The Queen can be seen as the plaintiff or defendant in court matters. The new law ensures all criminal and civil proceedings can continue uninterrupted.

In addition to the legislative changes, there is protocol already in place for the eventual death of Queen Elizabeth II.

Upon her death, Buckingham Palace will formally notify Rideau Hall, where the Governor General of Canada resides. Rideau Hall will notify the Lieutenant Governors throughout the country and formally begin a period of mourning for the state.

Newfoundlanders and Labradorians will be provided with black ribbons and pins to wear during the mourning period, which will last 10 days after the Queen dies. Flags will also fly at half-mast for the period. A book of remembrance will be provided at Confederation Building, Government House and other locations throughout the province to allow members of the public to express their condolences to the Royal Family.

Those books will not make it to England, however — they will be archived at The Rooms as a historical document. Electronic versions will also be available for people to sign.
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...-death-378726/

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
You really think this herd of cats called Canada would agree on a new constitution that would take rights away from Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces? Because that is the only way places like Alberta will agree to it.
Abolishing a useless senate takes away no one's rights. Quebec itself abolished their own provincial senate back in the late 1960's.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:57 PM

I used to support the monarchy up until a year or two ago but the continuous lecturing of Harry and William about climate change while they jet set on private planes and helicopters and Meghan Markle's snobbery and snowflake millennial self pity and love for the spotlight is nauseating. After the Queen dies there is very little that is endearing left of the Royal family and has no real value just giant costs for them and their security details when they travel.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Thankfully, we as a Commonwealth nation do not hold a majority of this kind of Americanised indifferent attitude.

I too am a monarchist
You're also a poor speller and have no idea what the majority wants. Commonwealth nation? That label is a relic from the past. No one cares about crap like that other than people who think we need a foreign family full of depraved sexual abusers to look up to and keep us together. What a fucking joke! Do you want to be Britain's bitch forever? Show some self-respect Pinus and throw off the chains of colonialism which is just another form of slavery.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:02 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
You're also a poor speller and have no idea what the majority wants. Commonwealth nation? That label is a relic from the past. No one cares about crap like that other than people who think we need a foreign family full of depraved sexual abusers to look up to and keep us together. What a fucking joke! Do you want to be Britain's bitch forever? Show some self-respect Pinus and throw off the chains of colonialism which is just another form of slavery.
Yes, throw off the colonial yoke, and create a new electoral model like our esteemed cousins to the south, where the head of government is also the head of state. I too look forward to our own version of President Trump. Maybe, one day is the not too distant glorious future we can look forward to our very own President Doug Ford of Canada!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada