HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 9:35 PM

Ok guys, let me help you read between the lines here, as I said in my previous post, I was referring to a comment, not a person. I'll say it again for those who might need me to, the "stup..." thing was about a comment, NOT a person. Pretty simple, but hey, I get it, people get their feathers ruffled pretty easily. You all want to keep going on it, have at it! Kinda comical that were still talking about it!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2019, 10:57 PM

Ok ya'll, Spoilers insightful post aside, what do ya say about getting back to to topic at hand? Let's get back to talking about our OPINIONS about the project. I know, a crazy idea, but that's what were here for.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 1:09 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Ok ya'll, Spoilers insightful post aside, what do ya say about getting back to to topic at hand? Let's get back to talking about our OPINIONS about the project. I know, a crazy idea, but that's what were here for.
I'd like to do that. I'd like to do it knowing none of us has be worried/annoyed about being hassled when stating our opinions? I'd like to hear your opinions about buildings and projects as long as you remain civil. Why don't you start it off by apologizing to starvinggryphon?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
You should take your own advice. Now let's get back to discussing the merits or lack of for this project.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Mar 25, 2019 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 4:03 AM
JACKinBeantown

Bravo!

Onward.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 4:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

So anyway, back on page 2 we were actually discussing this building. It does have some retail, which makes me happy. It also is one of several developments adding residential in a part of town that suddenly is becoming a decent place to live with plenty of people milling about the streets during non-business hours. Especially if JMJ comes through.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
So anyway, back on page 2 we were actually discussing this building. It does have some retail, which makes me happy. It also is one of several developments adding residential in a part of town that suddenly is becoming a decent place to live with plenty of people milling about the streets during non-business hours. Especially if JMJ comes through.
And, we still don't know what will happen with the old CPS Headquarters once they move out.

I was talking with an employee there New Year's Eve, who was saying that it is not as structurally sound as we might think, so it very well may come down, which opens up tons of possibilities.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:01 PM

Construction is slated to begin in November!

Construction of St. John’s Square apartments expected to begin in November
SAN ANTONIO HERON - AUGUST 22, 2019 BY BEN OLIVO

"The construction of St. John’s Square, an eight-story, 251-unit mixed-income apartment building eyed for a vacant lot near La Villita, could begin in November and be completed by August 2021, according to today’s City Council meeting agenda."

Link

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:45 PM
James

Hopefully, this is the final design change and construction can start soon. This goes to the HDRC next Wednesday.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 7:52 PM

I like this.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 4:35 PM

Oh, I REALLY love this!!! Stunning design!!!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 7:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Overall I view this design as a positive. These renderings certainly make it look better than the last ones, but I still much prefer the original... the one that looked reminiscent of the Express-News building. I wish they had chosen to at least make the exposed garage walls the same color as the rest of the building. How difficult would that have been? (Answer: not very.) As it is now it screams, "Look at me! I'm an ugly white concrete parking garage wall!"

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Oh, I REALLY love this!!! Stunning design!!!
Is this sarcasm?

You think the design, which looks like literally every other generic mid-rise apartment building being constructed in America today, is... stunning?

I mean, overall it's probably going to be good for the area. But calling it a "stunning" design is a bit like calling a big mac a "stunning" burger.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2020, 10:27 PM

More or less (no) yellow please. Otherwise this could be a nice design if executed really well.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:55 AM

Not seeing much of a difference besides the brick color. Kinda wish they kept the large signage at the top of the building, it added some interest. Surely they'll add some signage back in.

I kinda with there was *less* storefront glass on the base so the stone facade there would have some more impact and feel heavier. That much glass makes it look kinda cheap.

Lastly I wish there was a string course between the stone and the brick. Such a simple gesture would make the building look tons better and the transition between brick and stone less awkward, especially if there's no change in plane. Have architects completely forgotten design techniques?

Either way, bravo for doing masonry all the way up instead of cheap poverty siding or stucco.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Not seeing much of a difference besides the brick color. Kinda wish they kept the large signage at the top of the building, it added some interest. Surely they'll add some signage back in.
I agree with you that the signage at the top added needed character. In the submitted construction drawings submitted to the HDRC, it still shows them there.

I am hoping they are still going to be there. These appear to be stamped drawings, so I would think that means they are still planning on putting them up.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
I agree with you that the signage at the top added needed character. In the submitted construction drawings submitted to the HDRC, it still shows them there.

I am hoping they are still going to be there. These appear to be stamped drawings, so I would think that means they are still planning on putting them up.

<snip>
Excellent! Renderings can never be counted on to resemble the final product but since the signage is clearly there in the technical drawings, looks like it will be installed. I like that it's on the curving part now too.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:38 AM
James

Proposed downtown tower seeks final approval with new design
By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Feb 3, 2020, 5:19pm CST

Plans to build an eight-story mixed-use tower near La Villita could move forward this week — with a new design.

The eight-story complex proposed by Austin-based firm Weal Development LLC would be on 1.3 acres of a parking lot at 422 East Nueva St. — just north of the SpringHill Suites by Marriott and near La Villita.

Designed by Mark Odom Studio, the proposal retains the same footprint of the plans approved by the HDRC last March. The updated design includes changes to window layouts, an eighth-floor pool deck as well as a yellow-accented color scheme as opposed to orange.

“We felt that it was more in line with the overall tone of downtown San Antonio,” architect Mark Odom wrote in an email.

With the updated design, the project will now have 252 mixed-income residential units — two more than the March proposal.

The owner is keeping options open for ground-floor tenants, Odom wrote. He said it could fit a co-working space, restaurant, street-side cafe or a combination of several tenants. The apartment complex wraps around an eight-level parking garage, which will be open to the public.

The $65 million project is financed in part by the San Antonio Housing Authority, which approved funding for the project in August. Its one, two and three-bedroom units will all be reserved for families earning 50% of the area median income.

Dallas-based firm Cadence McShane Construction will serve as general contractor for development, which will commence after HDRC approval. The structure will use a cold-form steel construction method.

“As a relatively new method of construction in mid-rise multi-family, this construction type offers a higher quality of construction toward the final product as well as a higher efficiency for unit size, ceiling height, and maximizing space over material,” Odom said.

This is Weal Development’s second project in San Antonio after redeveloping the Steel House Lofts in Southtown. The firm has completed several projects in the Austin area, including three mixed-use commercial developments, a mixed-use apartment complex, an office building, and an event center.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:45 AM
James

Housing coming to La Villita
HDRC also granted final approval for plans for an eight-story building featuring 252 apartments and ground-level retail at what is now a parking lot one block southwest of La Villita at 410 E. Nueva St.

The one-story brick building on the northeast corner of the property, which currently houses a law office, will remain.

The name for the building, St. John’s Square, is inspired by the neighboring church, which owns the land that is now a parking lot. Weal Development has signed a 99-year lease on the ground the apartments will be built on with St. John’s Lutheran Church.

Staff recommended approval of the project but stipulated that driveways entering the parking garage be built with pedestrian traffic on East Nueva Street in mind. While the parking structure will be wrapped with retail and rental space, staff also stipulated that visible portions of the parking garage should be interspersed with art, vegetation, or other elements.

Mari Michael Glassell of architectural firm Mark Odom Studio said the building would comply with those stipulations.

The San Antonio Conservation Society sent a letter to HDRC asking it to require a “color palette more in keeping with the historic district.”

In response, Glassell said she will work with the Office of Historic Preservation on choosing lighter colors for the exterior. As proposed, the building has three general tiers of materials and colors: a light masonry base, a grey brick body with yellow accents, and a lighter grey cap.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:02 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post

Staff recommended approval of the project but stipulated that driveways entering the parking garage be built with pedestrian traffic on East Nueva Street in mind. While the parking structure will be wrapped with retail and rental space, staff also stipulated that visible portions of the parking garage should be interspersed with art, vegetation, or other elements.
That's good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
The San Antonio Conservation Society sent a letter to HDRC asking it to require a “color palette more in keeping with the historic district.”

In response, Glassell said she will work with the Office of Historic Preservation on choosing lighter colors for the exterior. As proposed, the building has three general tiers of materials and colors: a light masonry base, a grey brick body with yellow accents, and a lighter grey cap.
Maybe it will be beige!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio