HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 8:44 PM

Are there any site plans available for this project? I've been curious about how they are going to treat the area around the ground floor especially as it relates to that existing driveway to the east.. I'm hoping that isn't going to remain.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
Are there any site plans available for this project? I've been curious about how they are going to treat the area around the ground floor especially as it relates to that existing driveway to the east.. I'm hoping that isn't going to remain.
The drive lane stays, and then between the drive lane and Main Street becomes a temporary park.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
from the planning app

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 6:23 PM

10th floor poured today.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:54 PM

Wow! That was quick: 8 days. 11th floor pour underway.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/clarkconstruction/block5

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 6:44 PM

Does this have a diagram on the diagram page?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Wow! That was quick: 8 days. 11th floor pour underway.

That's crazy. Wish we had this fast of development in San Jose...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 2:07 AM

I guess we can look forward to a floor per week or better now. I don't believe they are going to switch to steel framing but look forward to being pleasantly surprised. We'll know in about a week once they pour the roof of the 11th floor--that will top off the podium.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 8:06 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I don't believe they are going to switch to steel framing but look forward to being pleasantly surprised. We'll know in about a week once they pour the roof of the 11th floor--that will top off the podium.
Every source has always stated that the floors above the larger base will be steel; this was discussed before you ever appeared in the Forum. Why do you not believe it? The lower large floorplates were designed to appeal to tech companies, offering size not available in most other towers. Why would anyone want to build a concrete tower for highrise offices?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
this was discussed before you ever appeared in the Forum. Why do you not believe it? The lower large floorplates were designed to appeal to tech companies, offering size not available in most other towers. Why would anyone want to build a concrete tower for highrise offices?
When I actually "appeared in the forum" is a very long story which we can discuss by PM if you care to (same goes for anyone else who is curious).

Although I don't see why I should have to analyse my "belief" in public, as I said, we'll know the reality very soon now. The reason it must be steel that I saw mentioned here was because of weight, but in fact this building has piles that go 25 ft into bedrock so it should be designed for either construction method depending on the number and robustness of those piles.

Why would anybody want to build a concrete tower for office? Who knows? I've not seen any other building with the first 11 floors one method and the rest another either. And I asked myself "why would anybody build an 800 foot residential building of steel?" in respect of 181 Fremont. Or "why would anybody build a 600 ft condo tower without piles to bedrock?" in respect of the Millennium Tower (yeah, I really did wonder about that before what's known became known). Stranger things have happened.

But I'm just expressing a belief (guess). Again, we'll know in a week or two.

By the way, those authoritative sources that say it's going to be steel: I looked for 'em because I want that to be right but I couldn't find any. You got links?

Last edited by Pedestrian; Jul 28, 2017 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 11:45 PM

Concrete & Steel?

There is a link at the bottom of Park Tower official web page for downloads. The floor plan in the PDF file shows round posts from the bottom to floor 11. From floor 12 to 43 the floor plan shows what I interpret as i-beam supports. Could this be the answer to the question of whether or not there is a mix of steel and concrete supports?

http://www.parktowerattransbay.com/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 12:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Such a good development. Cool, crisp, and refreshing. Seems to be moving without hiccups in the hard cost stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobroberts View Post
Just wondering - How much $$$$ do those workers make?
Good money. The trades are highly underrated nowadays, and it's sad because quite frankly, you can make some good money in them; especially working on highrises or skyscrapers.

BUT... lets not forget the risks. While safety is the utmost concern with construction companies, every day presents a risk even with control measures in place. Construction workers IMO are the foot soldiers that build our cities. They lead the charge, amidst the dangers, and risk it all, for advancing our glorious skyline(s). And thus, for their skills and at times brutal work, they deserve the money.

You know who has it made, the crane operator. But again, they deserve that 200-300k salary because their actions can kill people or severally delay projects if done wrong. The pressure is real and demands an incredible amount of finesse in doing so.

Quote:
I guess we can look forward to a floor per week or better now. I don't believe they are going to switch to steel framing but look forward to being pleasantly surprised. We'll know in about a week once they pour the roof of the 11th floor--that will top off the podium.
With towers, a floor or even 2 a week is very good progress, especially given the footprint of this tower.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
There is a link at the bottom of Park Tower official web page for downloads. The floor plan in the PDF file shows round posts from the bottom to floor 11. From floor 12 to 43 the floor plan shows what I interpret as i-beam supports. Could this be the answer to the question of whether or not there is a mix of steel and concrete supports?

From Jerry's link is the note: "Top Off Construction Completion Date January 2018"

So 33 floors plus crown in 26 weeks?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post

And there's this from the (easily Googlable) developer's press release:

"Park Tower will feature a dramatic two-story lobby, 14 sky decks and floor-to-ceiling glass that offers unobstructed views of the San Francisco Bay, the city skyline and City Park – all built around an efficient superstructure system that combines both concrete and steel framing."

http://news.theregistrysf.com/park-t...san-francisco/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 4:50 PM

^^I don't want to argue this since I was just speculating (or, if you prefer, putting forth a geuine belief) and we'll know for sure quite soon, but I can't resist pointing out that in the same paragraph of that link there this:

Quote:
. . . Park Tower at Transbay was designed to balance practical considerations such as efficiency with state-of-the-art building systems and iconic architecture. Powell notes it’s that harmony that distinguishes it from every other office building in San Francisco.
PLEASE. Egregious breast beating that, for me, makes the whole thing a big chuckle.

I've said it before but I'll say it again: Personally, I don't care for the one side cantilevering over it's lower setback portion. I'd prefer the design if it were verticle. And "harmony" is NOT what it says to me (showing off maybe).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
I've said it before but I'll say it again: Personally, I don't care for the one side cantilevering over it's lower setback portion. I'd prefer the design if it were verticle.
I gotta agree with you here. I know a lot of people like that wider-at-the-top look, but I never have.

I still like the building overall though, and I appreciate that the design will help make the SF skyline look more modern (though SF's outdated boxy skyline suddenly isn't as much of a problem, now that salesforce and 181 are topped out ).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 4:52 AM
heavy user of walkability

this is getting impressive from ground level

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 7:04 PM

I am watching what they do with the caps on the columns as they install rebar on the podium roof (12th floor of the tower). If the construction is to continue in reinforced concrete, they will put up column rebar for the next floor. If steel, they will put in anchor plates/bolts for the lowest level of structural steel. Unfortunately, so far the resolution on the construction cams isn't good enough to say for sure and/or they haven't done either.

I would also expect some steel to be delivered to the site shortly if that's what it's to be from here.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I am watching what they do with the caps on the columns as they install rebar on the podium roof (12th floor of the tower). If the construction is to continue in reinforced concrete, they will put up column rebar for the next floor. If steel, they will put in anchor plates/bolts for the lowest level of structural steel. Unfortunately, so far the resolution on the construction cams isn't good enough to say for sure and/or they haven't done either.

I would also expect some steel to be delivered to the site shortly if that's what it's to be from here.
It's definitely different, what the extension of the column rebar looks like on this floor, compared with all the previous ones.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 6:31 PM

While the resolution is less than ideal, it now does appear they are putting in anchor plates for vertical steel columns and they should have already had the rebar cages up if those columns were to be reinforced concrete. So I guess you guys who say it will be steel from here up are probably right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive