HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 6:08 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

I first saw this in January 2008, I believe.

It is envisioned as going where the former Annex building was that has since been torn down and is currently a surface lot with some small grass berms.

The city asked for the proposal.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 9:33 PM

This is something that was put on the back burner back in '08 after the the economy began to tank. It was about to really pick up steam too. When I worked at CIMS I worked closely with the Downtown Real Estate Analyst and this was the main project that he was working on. There was no residential as part of the original vision, but it sounds like a good idea.

I don't know if this has started to pick up again or not (haven't worked at CIMS for 3 years), but I know that it has been Scully's vision for awhile now to get people out of all of the leased space and into a combined Civic-Center Highrise downtown.

It will eventually happen, but who knows to what scale and when.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 5:33 PM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
Exclamation

The UGLY WALL is finally coming down! HOPEFULLY! The wall I am referring to is the wall along Navarro and Augusta streets which are close the Central Public Library. The wall belongs to the Ursuline Campus of the Art School.
The funny thing is that I never cease to think about that wall being torn down, and today I got my wish, well, sort of. Today, I saw a sign posted near that wall announcing of a hearing by the City Council about replacing the wall entirely by a new one. However, if the wall gets replaced it's going to be one of the most difficult things to do because of the many trees that are growing behind the wall, and are growing very near to it. I believe that the trees are the ones that have shifted the wall to a near 45 degree angle in some places. Not to mention, it is very unattractive. The trees are very beautiful, but they are going to have to be sacrificed, and be uprooted by the City. I walk alongside that wall sometimes, and I have to move away from it because it leans over the sidewalk. Mr. Castro, tear down this WALL!

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7 View Post
The UGLY WALL is finally coming down! HOPEFULLY! The wall I am referring to is the wall along Navarro and Augusta streets which are close the Central Public Library. The wall belongs to the Ursuline Campus of the Art School.
I thought you were talking about the Grand Hyatt.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 8:34 PM
Liberator.

Talking

Hey kornbread, since you ARE exemplary at critiquing, why don't you contact Arquitectonica Architectural Firm ,the firm that designed the GRAND HYATT, which is based in Miami and also has offices in Los Angeles and New York City, and has a portifolio of hundreds of finished projects, and let them know how YOU feel, since it is out of our control now, and let us all know what they think about YOUR constructive criticism. HMMM how many buildings have WALLS, just my 2 cents.

http://http://arquitectonica.com/about-us/our-people/

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 9:20 PM

That's a bit much, unless it some inside joking I don't know about. But that Grand Hyatt is one long wall-looking structure.

Speaking of the Grand Hyatt, has that missing colored square been put in place yet? Last time I got a good look (a few months ago) it was still missing one of those square pieces toward the upper floors along the Market St. side.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7 View Post
Hey kornbread, ...you ARE exemplary at critiquing...
Thanks MAN!

Turns out it wasn't their original design, and the end result was actually based on city requirements, direction and budget. They thought it was at least a nice wall, but still only show the side angles on their website. Go figure...

http://arquitectonica.com/blog/portf...-center-hotel/

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 3:09 PM

Courthouse addition may see wrecking ball

Forty years after the backside of the Bexar County Courthouse underwent a modern expansion, the stark, windowless structures added to the 1890s building are targeted for demolition in a proposed historic restoration project.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz1dsgkxbRU

I've always wondered about that piece of the courthouse. I for one am glad to see it finally go, it was such a horrid piece on a beautiful courthouse.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 5:34 PM

Woohoo!

Now if they'd only demolish the horrible addition to the old Southwestern Bell/At&T building next to the Municipal Auditorium:
Front:

PC300601 by paul heaston, on Flickr
Back:

PC300591 by paul heaston, on Flickr

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 7:29 PM

Studio Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
I thought this looked interesting, it won a studio award from the San Antonio chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Essentially a studio award is for conceptual and unbuilt projects, more info here... http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...#photo-1728071

For that space between the Holiday Inn and Courtyard by Marriott. As a conceptual drawing it's kinda neat to think that something cool can fit in that small space. Oh well, it gives an idea at least

So this was a theoretical project? I have seen tons of urban infill studies in the past, but this seems like a really intruiging solution. Especially for San Antonio. Who was the Architect on this project?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 9:55 PM

Quote:
That's a bit much, unless it some inside joking I don't know about. But that Grand Hyatt is one long wall-looking structure.

Speaking of the Grand Hyatt, has that missing colored square been put in place yet? Last time I got a good look (a few months ago) it was still missing one of those square pieces toward the upper floors along the Market St. side.
How come the north side of the Grand Hyatt has the little square lights lit up on the topper, but on the south side of the Hyatt, some lights are not on, it has been this way ever since the building was finished. Are they hating on the southside?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Does anybody have any further knowledge of this mixed-use development? It's proposed as a civic center mixed-use development and I wonder if this has any connection to eventual plans for more city offices, and well the residential component also hits the goals of SA2020. This info is from June 2010 so I wonder how fresh this really is.

I personally know the people that drew up these renderings. I think this project is dead or on the back burner.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 4:55 PM

Tiny bit of an update, I'll be posting a couple of photos here later:

-Cevallos Lofts is looking pretty close to complete as are the condos across the street.
-Brick is going up at the PS HQ's, garage is up to 3rd level.
-Small building at Flores & Guenther is now just rubble, making way for 3-story development.
-Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but there are some "Bike Parking" racks that have been installed around town; the few I've noticed are 1.) right outside Tito's on Alamo and 2.) space right next to Bromley Comm. on Jefferson St. and I think I saw one on Main outside Frost HQ's; not sure how many more have been installed around town. These are a little different (to me, at least) than the ones installed last year because they are on-street and pretty large.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:49 PM
Liberator.

Wink New (I)talian restaurant on Houston Street

Hey guys, just another report about yet another business opening up downtown on Houston Street. I was by there today at the intersection of St. Mary's and Houston and saw a brand new (I)talian restaurant sign being emblazoned on the canopy where there was once a French restaurant. I hope they are able to cater to a wider clientele, unlike what the French restaurant was able to bring in. I love Italian food! Bon apetite!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:46 AM
JACKinBeantown

Buon appetito!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:16 PM
Liberator.

Talking

Sorry everyone the address of the new Italian restaurant is on NAVARRO AND HOUSTON and NOT on ST. MARY's and HOUSTON. I always get Navarro and St. Mary's confused for some reason. The name of the restaurant is The Toscano Ristorante. I cannot wait to look on their menu! YUM!

However, I am not sure if the restaurants in Boston and New Jersey are the same ones as the one opening down here. JACK IN NYC, can you figure this out for us since your from the Northeast?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 5:36 PM

Max7, Toscano Ristorante is just like saying "Taqueria Jalisco." It just describes the provenance of the cuisine. I like Italian as much as the next guy, but I'd still rather have a French restaurant DT than another Italian. I'm not a huge fan of Tuscan cuisine (Toscano). If it had Bolognese or Umbriano or Napolitano in the name I could definitely go.

Sorry, felt like trolling a little. I'm sure it'll be good. Now if we can just convince our own homegrown Taco Cabana to open up something downtown...

Flickr Blog Site

Last edited by Boquillas; Nov 22, 2011 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
-Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but there are some "Bike Parking" racks that have been installed around town; the few I've noticed are 1.) right outside Tito's on Alamo and 2.) space right next to Bromley Comm. on Jefferson St. and I think I saw one on Main outside Frost HQ's; not sure how many more have been installed around town. These are a little different (to me, at least) than the ones installed last year because they are on-street and pretty large.
Said bike racks have been removed due the HDRC being the HDRC

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 3:07 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunadic View Post
Said bike racks have been removed due the HDRC being the HDRC
Rules are rules. The city can't (and shouldn't) just circumvent its own boards.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 5:49 PM
Endless Moments...

Was in SA over the weekend. I noticed they changed the lights on the Weston Center. It has a "Halo" of lights that change color. I have to say it looks awesome. They are very bright and move and chase. Hope its a year long thing cause it looks very nice...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio