HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #281  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2015, 10:29 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,638
^ I don't know. That poll was over 3 weeks ago.

I think I'd like to see how he responds. What action he takes as a response to this.

I don't think he will ever see widespread popularity after this, nor is he likely to win a reelection effort against a decent opponent (a rarity around here), but I do think he can win back some support if he makes serious reforms to the CPD.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #282  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 4:10 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,735
As a mayor in his second term he bears much responsibility for the events that have transpired on his watch. By extension so do his predecessors, the city council going back decades, and citizenry at large for not demanding better from our police and electeds. I'd much rather see him actually fix CPD once and for all instead of quit. I don't want another head on a plate...I want results.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #283  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 5:08 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I'd much rather see him actually fix CPD once and for all instead of quit.
OK, what is the solution?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #284  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 5:05 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Pretty good read..and depressing. Rahm is done. Don't really know where Chicago goes from here, politically. I think his exit is a lot sooner than many of us might expect.

The Sudden But Well-Deserved Fall of Rahm Emanuel
By Rick Perlstein

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-...f-rahm-emanuel

Here is the poll Perlstein references regarding how many Chicagoans think Rahm should resign:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/292630702/Emanuel-Poll
Nah, Rahm is very unlikely to quit. And there really is no reason for him to do so. I agree he will not be Mayor after the next election, he probably won't run again anyway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #285  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 6:02 PM
emathias's Avatar
emathias emathias is offline
Adoptive Chicagoan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: River North, Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Nah, Rahm is very unlikely to quit. And there really is no reason for him to do so. I agree he will not be Mayor after the next election, he probably won't run again anyway.
The next election is a long way off. It's possible for him to work his way out of the hole he's dug for himself. Is it the most likely outcome? I don't know, but I think it's possible and too early to rule him out. To be sure, any successor will have just as many problems as he does, if not more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #286  
Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 8:07 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The next election is a long way off. It's possible for him to work his way out of the hole he's dug for himself. Is it the most likely outcome? I don't know, but I think it's possible and too early to rule him out. To be sure, any successor will have just as many problems as he does, if not more.
Good point. The election is a long way off. A lot can and will change.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #287  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:55 PM
Baronvonellis Baronvonellis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 823
The people protesting him now I'm sure didn't vote for him in the election anyway. And that poll was done about a week after the video was released. I'm curious what the poll would say today, or 6 months from now after interest has died down.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #288  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:35 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 13,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I'd much rather see him actually fix CPD once and for all instead of quit. I don't want another head on a plate...I want results.
Agreed. The awkward situation Rahm is in right now might finally push him to take on the rank-and-file of CPD and pursue some serious reforms.

Of course, I don't think anyone's really cracked this nut yet in America, so there aren't any easy answers.

Expanded use of non-lethal force would at least help with the problem of deaths. Why not send cops out with rubber bullets instead of actual ones, and properly train cops in how to use them? Other weapons like tasers and flashbangs would help as well.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #289  
Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:03 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Agreed. The awkward situation Rahm is in right now might finally push him to take on the rank-and-file of CPD and pursue some serious reforms.

Of course, I don't think anyone's really cracked this nut yet in America, so there aren't any easy answers.

Expanded use of non-lethal force would at least help with the problem of deaths. Why not send cops out with rubber bullets instead of actual ones, and properly train cops in how to use them? Other weapons like tasers and flashbangs would help as well.
Body and dash cams also should be mandatory across the board with clear cut provisions on how the video should be stored and released to the public. Non-lethal force options should be more readily available but those can present their own issues as well if not properly implemented. Destruction of evidence and lying on reports should be rewarded with terminations.

I doubt CPD will ever be close to perfect but it surely could withstand a considerable amount of improvement. I think the department is pretty much out of ways to oppose reform in light of recent events and a justice department probe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #290  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 5:25 AM
LaSalle.St.Station's Avatar
LaSalle.St.Station LaSalle.St.Station is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 334
GE Healthcare is relocating to Chicago from London. Rahm loves the city, he's been instrumental in getting many of these moves.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #291  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 12:59 PM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
Rahm loves the business core of the city. I don't know too much about the whole city. He likes covering up murder though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #292  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 1:45 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Rahm loves the business core of the city. I don't know too much about the whole city. He likes covering up murder though.


Yeah, it's all Rahm. No mayor before him ever loved downtown or presided over a corrupt police department.

Anyhow, it's the "business core of the city" that built this magnificent skyline, like it or hate it. That goes all the way back to the origins of the skyscraper.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #293  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 3:56 PM
urbanpln urbanpln is offline
urbanpln
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: chicago
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
GE Healthcare is relocating to Chicago from London. Rahm loves the city, he's been instrumental in getting many of these moves.
I think you're probably giving one person too much credit here. There are a lot of different reasons that Chicago continues to attract certain businesses. Although Rahm has been a great cheerleader there are other assets that are at play. The City remains attractive to businesses due to its transportation network, great cultural life, strong business culture, affordable cost of living, and other quality of life strengths that young workers want. If he wasn't there, the City would continue to attract businesses. The only real danger that I see is the political disfunction at the State level, and uncertainty that is trickling down to the City.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #294  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 5:01 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
I think you're probably giving one person too much credit here. There are a lot of different reasons that Chicago continues to attract certain businesses. Although Rahm has been a great cheerleader there are other assets that are at play. The City remains attractive to businesses due to its transportation network, great cultural life, strong business culture, affordable cost of living, and other quality of life strengths that young workers want. If he wasn't there, the City would continue to attract businesses. The only real danger that I see is the political disfunction at the State level, and uncertainty that is trickling down to the City.
Not if Chuy or someone like him were Mayor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #295  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 8:25 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Not if Chuy or someone like him were Mayor.
B.S.

chicagos advantages and disadvantages are entrenched. one individual will have very little effect one way or another on those things. people are moving to the city because they want to live in interesting neighborhoods, not because Rahm Emmanuel is mayor. commuting preferences are changing. businesses have no choice but to react if they want to attract top talent. this is happening in every major city in the United States, not just Chicago. we also have O'Hare, top research universities, and a vibrant cultural scene. if Chuy was elected none of these things would cease to exist. there may be less blatant pandering to the corporate class, but id have no problem with that personally. if someone wants to relocate here, they can do so without handouts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #296  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 9:13 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
B.S.

chicagos advantages and disadvantages are entrenched. one individual will have very little effect one way or another on those things. people are moving to the city because they want to live in interesting neighborhoods, not because Rahm Emmanuel is mayor. commuting preferences are changing. businesses have no choice but to react if they want to attract top talent. this is happening in every major city in the United States, not just Chicago. we also have O'Hare, top research universities, and a vibrant cultural scene. if Chuy was elected none of these things would cease to exist. there may be less blatant pandering to the corporate class, but id have no problem with that personally. if someone wants to relocate here, they can do so without handouts.
I disagree, someone like Chuy would be terrible for the City. His whole purpose seemed to be to support the CTU and Karen Lewis. I personally think he would have tried to institute a city income tax or exchange tax (or even both) that would have been a huge disincentive for corporations and people. Property taxes would have gone up as well. As it is, this carve out for homes worth $250,000 or less is ridiculous. Everyone needs to feel the cost of these benefits that were "promised" or people will never learn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #297  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 9:41 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,598
Well, I support the CTU, certainly more than I support Rahm.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #298  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 9:46 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Well, I support the CTU, certainly more than I support Rahm.
I obviously don't support the CTU, we may as well leave it at that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #299  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 10:32 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 17,638
..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #300  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 11:27 PM
amfleisch amfleisch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Agreed. The awkward situation Rahm is in right now might finally push him to take on the rank-and-file of CPD and pursue some serious reforms.

Of course, I don't think anyone's really cracked this nut yet in America, so there aren't any easy answers.

Expanded use of non-lethal force would at least help with the problem of deaths. Why not send cops out with rubber bullets instead of actual ones, and properly train cops in how to use them? Other weapons like tasers and flashbangs would help as well.
Rubber bullets? That is just stupid. I really don't think we should be sending cops out on Chicago streets with rubber bullets when nearly 3,000 people were shot and close to 500 people were murdered in 2015. It is an absolute war zone in certain neighborhoods, and they are definitely not using rubber bullets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.