HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 9:48 PM

That number seems much lower than has been given in the past. Concrete hasn't suddenly become cheaper. What's the difference? Skeptical me says the people in charge have decided to do this and it will, in actuality, be a lot more expensive than the number they use to sell the public on the project. It's also going to take multiple levels of govt to fund and I see that being a problem.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 9:58 PM

We spend too much money on car centric suburban infrastructure.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
We spend too much money on car centric suburban infrastructure.
We spend money where people want it spent. I realize there will be no pleasing the likes of you when it comes to infrastructure development but you should be used to it by now.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 11:35 PM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
We spend money where people want it spent. I realize there will be no pleasing the likes of you when it comes to infrastructure development but you should be used to it by now.
When are you going to get it though your thick, wrinkly skull that governments are not businesses that supply a market with some product or service that is in demand? Yes they offer these when the free market is unable to do so fairly and competitively (i.e. water, fire, police, education, healthcare). It is, however, the job of different levels of government to study and make tough and complicated decisions for the collective and to put forth appropriate short term sacrifices necessary for achieving a greater long-term good for everyone (i.e. carbon tax, CPP, labour and environmental regulations), not only in providing some tangible benefit, but lowering future public costs. This is because all humans are biologically wired to only think short term, wanting instant gratification. Without a government functioning this way, society would fall apart and it would be nothing but the haves vs the have nots. This libertarian populism you always moan about serves the privileged majority only, suppressing minority voices, and is nothing but weak and cowardly leadership for people unwilling to change for the better because they are either too stupid, too lazy, too weak or too greedy to do so. Please take your boring, uninformed and unoriginal opinions elsewhere.

Last edited by djforsberg; Aug 8, 2019 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Induced demand 101

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
When are you going to get it thought your thick, wrinkly skull that governments are not businesses that supply a market with some product or service that is in demand? Yes they offer these when the free market is unable to do so fairly and competitively (i.e. water, fire, police, education, healthcare). It is, however, the job of different levels of government to study and make tough and complicated decisions for the collective and to put forth appropriate short term sacrifices necessary for achieving a greater long-term good for everyone (i.e. carbon tax, CPP, labour and environmental regulations), not only in providing some tangible benefit, but lowering future public costs. This is because all humans are biologically wired to only think short term, wanting instant gratification. Without a government functioning this way, society would fall apart and it would be nothing but the haves vs the have nots. This libertarian populism you always moan about serves the privileged majority only, suppressing minority voices, and is nothing but weak and cowardly leadership for people unwilling to change for the better because they are either too stupid, too lazy, too weak or too greedy to do so. Please take your boring, uninformed and unoriginal opinions elsewhere.
The sad part though, is that he is not wrong.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Are some of you actually suggesting it’s a waste of money to make your main freeway move traffic more efficiently by ridding it of trains that hold up thousands of cars like everyday? At rush hour yet. Are you a capital city or a village? Very quaint to have trains stop traffic on a ring road. Lol.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:24 AM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Well, in this specific case he is not wrong but the personal comment directed at the “likes of us” was unnecessary

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
Are some of you actually suggesting it’s a waste of money to make your main freeway move traffic more efficiently by ridding it of trains that hold up thousands of cars like everyday? At rush hour yet. Are you a capital city or a village? Very quaint to have trains stop traffic on a ring road. Lol.
You have completely misinterpreted the context of my comment, Mr. Calgaian. But thanks for playing nonetheless

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
That number seems much lower than has been given in the past. Concrete hasn't suddenly become cheaper. What's the difference? Skeptical me says the people in charge have decided to do this and it will, in actuality, be a lot more expensive than the number they use to sell the public on the project. It's also going to take multiple levels of govt to fund and I see that being a problem.
They're not building any overpasses with this proposal (at least none that I can see) so there will not be much of a concrete bill. Steel, gravel, wood and creosote will be the main cost.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:41 PM

New medical clinic at Canterbury on College approved by RPC:

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:43 PM

Uhaul to do a facelift at the old Sears Clearance Centre:

Source: RPC Minutes

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 6:03 PM

Happy about more infill at Canterbury. Not exactly sure how I feel about the UHAUL renders.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Aug 13, 2019 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Happy about more infill at Canterbury. Not exactly sure how I feel about the UHAUL renders.
Any upgrade to that derelict building is a plus.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 10:42 PM

In my view there is a lack of character elements in the Canterbury clinic. Also it would have been nice to have underground parking with a smaller surface lot. Apparently neighbours opposed this.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Any upgrade to that derelict building is a plus.
I do agree.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
In my view there is a lack of character elements in the Canterbury clinic. Also it would have been nice to have underground parking with a smaller surface lot. Apparently neighbours opposed this.
There's not a lack of character there is Zero character. But that is what Regina does.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinglink View Post
There's not a lack of character there is Zero character. But that is what Regina does.
I was going to comment that while it's a boring design, at least the Canterbury Clinic is using red brick complimentary to the other buildings in the area. Then it occurred to me that the use of red brick may be an architectural requirement for new projects there. Do any of you know if that is the case?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I was going to comment that while it's a boring design, at least the Canterbury Clinic is using red brick complimentary to the other buildings in the area. Then it occurred to me that the use of red brick may be an architectural requirement for new projects there. Do any of you know if that is the case?
yes it is

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Neighbours opposed underground parking? I really hope that is not the case

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan