HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Yeah... no.

While Uhaul certainly isn't the sexiest of uses, it's a good use for an obsolete building that would be otherwise demolished.

I'm not even sure what you're suggesting, that a company continue to lose money because a rag-tag group of vendors wants space?
I would love the City to partner with private to fund a newly built market building on any of the Rose Street/Broad Street vacant lots so that the Centennial Market vendors can go there. It would also be nice to have a foot traffic connection in that section of downtown to spur other building investment in that sector that currently has no development.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:02 PM

Rumour I've heard is that developers are all holding off on starting much new development right now because they all want the railyards and don't want to get committed elsewhere when the city is ready to start the railyards. I can't see it. Railyards are years off, esp if the city really means it when they say Taylor Field first.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:25 PM

The secret to understanding the City of Regina is that they never really mean what they say. Or they do, until the next committee overrides the previous plan.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Wow, crickets around here...

Anybody know if the construction East of Shoppers on Chuka Blvd. is commercial or residential? It's got no basement so I'm guessing pad site. Looks like a big floor plate.

Edit: I see on Acre 21's site that in addition to The Wireless Age, there will be a Dollarama. Fack...not another one. Hopefully it occupies one of the existing vacant CRU's and the pad site is a decent restaurant we don't currently have.
Based on their site map it looks like the building east of Shoppers is designated to be commercial. Looks like the right size for a Dollarama. I am willing to take bets that you will be disappointed

https://www.acre21.ca/leasing-information/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 3:08 PM

Tower crane coming down at Conexus HQ building.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Based on their site map it looks like the building east of Shoppers is designated to be commercial. Looks like the right size for a Dollarama. I am willing to take bets that you will be disappointed

https://www.acre21.ca/leasing-information/
Yeah I think you are right, based on their colour coding.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 4:49 PM

Sask. cities among least desirable places to move; finder.com

Obviously the majority of the people surveyed are from Ontario. Few people out west know about St Catherine's or London. They probably have never been out west except for maybe Vancouver or Calgary.

This is from CJME/CKOM (link below)

https://www.cjme.com/syn/653/585460/...ve-finder-com/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:46 PM

So my two thoughts on this poll are:
  1. The news article doesn't link to the poll or give the exact question (a great example of modern journalism), but the article makes it seem like it was prefaced with "if you could afford to..." If that was the case, then obviously Regina would be last, as it's not a nice place compared to Toronto or Vancouver if money was no option. If the question had been phrased "where would you move with your current income?" then I suspect the major cities would be lower...though I don't know if Regina would really improve.
  2. Regina and Saskatoon may be good places to live compared to the majority of places globally...but there are also a lot nicer places in Canada. I'm not insulted by this ranking, I was born here and have simply not moved away (like the majority of native-born Canadians in their respective cities). But the list seems pretty accurate.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 9:51 PM

Interesting. I have been to every single place on both the high- and low-scoring city list.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Obviously the majority of the people surveyed are from Ontario. Few people out west know about St Catherine's or London. They probably have never been out west except for maybe Vancouver or Calgary.

This is from CJME/CKOM (link below)

https://www.cjme.com/syn/653/585460/...ve-finder-com/
This survey does not seem to measure anything meaningful. "f they were able to afford a home there" is a huge qualifier and skews the results as that is not a reality for the majority of Canadians in a few of the cities.

"Where are Canadians willing to move" might be more of a function of where they are currently living than any other factor. If you currently live in Oshawa, you might be more "willing" to move to Toronto than to Vancouver, for example.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Interesting. I have been to every single place on both the high- and low-scoring city list.
As PhotoJim I have been to all of these places and have worked in most at one time or another. Having been born and raised with in a half hour of Regina and lived there for 20+ years I have seen a very disappointing trend in Regina in the last number of years. The city has become very dirty, poorly maintained streets with lots of gravel,pot holes, unpainted lines, weeds growing everywhere even the concrete medians. also a over abundance of unkempt properties residential and commercial. Nobody seem to care about the community they live in that goes for property owners, businesses ,civic and provincial property's. Regina has earned the title of "Dirty Little Backwater"

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:19 PM
Saskatchewan pride

A new Oxygen Yoga and Fitness will be going up in the Greens on Gardner near Save On this winter. That will be their third franchise for Regina. I am a frequent user of the current two locations and since some of my favourite instructors are apparently going to the new one, I may have to check that one out too.

Last edited by djforsberg; Jul 17, 2019 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:58 PM

Drywall went up over the old Sears entrance on the main floor of the Cornwall.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 5:04 PM

Driving past Victoria Square yesterday, looked like they were starting to break up the pavement to the east of Wendy's/Horton's. If I recall, that's where Sobey's next liquor store is going?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonandbranch View Post
Driving past Victoria Square yesterday, looked like they were starting to break up the pavement to the east of Wendy's/Horton's. If I recall, that's where Sobey's next liquor store is going?
Just what the SE needs -another liquor store. There will soon be 6 between Arcola and Vic E.: Metro, Urban Cellars, SLGA, Superstore with Sobeys and Costco on the way.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 7:42 PM
Saskatchewan pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Just what the SE needs -another liquor store. There will soon be 6 between Arcola and Vic E.: Metro, Urban Cellars, SLGA, Superstore with Sobeys and Costco on the way.
And yet there's what... 3 cannabis retailers open in the city? Pathetic.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
And yet there's what... 3 cannabis retailers open in the city? Pathetic.
I think there are 4, but not one in the north end. Lucid is opening this weekend in the former Burger Baron, if you call that north.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I think there are 4, but not one in the north end. Lucid is opening this weekend in the former Burger Baron, if you call that north.
Yep - 4... Tweed x 2; Wiid; Cannabis Co. Lucid would make 5.

Funny that Sobeys wouldn't align the branding to the grocery store the liquor store is near - 2 Liquor Stores next to Safeways could be Safeway Liquor...common in AB (might also give the impression that they have less control over the urban retail market).

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 4:30 PM

I folks - I've been away for a while, so I'm sure this is posted in here somewhere... what's the scope/goal of the project on Albert/12th (Conexus/CGI ground-level... where Henderson Cafe used to be).

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 6:38 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I folks - I've been away for a while, so I'm sure this is posted in here somewhere... what's the scope/goal of the project on Albert/12th (Conexus/CGI ground-level... where Henderson Cafe used to be).
Co-operators is moving there I think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan