HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
They need to Blame it on the Terrible menu Selections, and the Prices.
Based on my experience I have to agree with you here. I went a couple of times and found their menu selection to be limited. Prices weren't that great either. YMMV

I just want to follow up and say that I think Milestones was also a victim of a bad circumstance. I do think it would have done much better if Empire Theatres ended up there. I would venture to guess that area clears out around 5-6 PM every day. I would also guess that most people shopping at Canadian Tire on the evenings/weekends are not deciding to eat at Milestones after picking up their lawn fertilizer or kid's bike. All the other spots (e.g. Cora's, Quesada, Harveys, etc.) are probably doing well with all the businesses in that area.

... On a personal note, I just wasn't a big fan of Milestones.

Last edited by statbass; Jul 18, 2019 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added text

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:45 PM

I didn't mind Milestones. The food wasn't "exciting" but it was miles above the rest of the Cara-brand food for only a slightly higher cost.

I only went once after they re-opened. It was absolutely dead there, like no one knew they were open. They did absolutely fail at proper promotion of their re-opening. Kind of just forgot that it existed. Unless I specifically need to go to the east-end Canadian Tire I never drive onto that street. I also agree that the theatre not being built probably did them no favours at all.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:52 PM

Reading on twitter that East Side Marios is now crossed off the sign by the new development in Paradise. Cara troubles? Deciding to open in Galway instead?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
Reading on twitter that East Side Marios is now crossed off the sign by the new development in Paradise. Cara troubles? Deciding to open in Galway instead?
That sucks. I heard the Holiday Inn location owner lost the opportunity to own the new one because they wouldn't keep up with renovations. Maybe now that is it renovated they have the rights to the new one also. Just a guess.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 7:14 PM

I heard that East Side Mario's had pulled out of the Paradise Plaza a few days ago as well. I haven't heard if they were going to set up in another spot such as Galway or if they just canned it all together.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 12:53 PM

Restaurant Close Outdoor Courtyard

Given that there are 2 sides to every story; is this a city mandarin problem, or another "bull in a china shop" move by the owner? This is the same owner that has been accused of renovating without a permit previously.

Shame in any case. That side of Harbour Drive could be well served with such establishments. I was recently in Baltimore , where the historic harbour is surrounded by fenced eateries.

https://vocm.com/2019/07/22/owner-sp...wn-restaurant/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Given that there are 2 sides to every story; is this a city mandarin problem, or another "bull in a china shop" move by the owner? This is the same owner that has been accused of renovating without a permit previously.

Shame in any case. That side of Harbour Drive could be well served with such establishments. I was recently in Baltimore , where the historic harbour is surrounded by fenced eateries.

Vic Lawlor is a name I've seen in the news way too many times this year. I refuse to believe that he has terrible luck.

Regarding this restaurant: I had no idea that this transformation was taking place. This is actually a huge improvement on what was previously there (essentially a loading bay door). This is the kind of stuff we need on Harbour Drive. It's ludicrous to believe that this is "too close" to a residential area considering it's right on the harbour right smack in the middle of the downtown commercial district.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:

Jeez, this place was only open for a couple of weeks, I didn't even get to go yet. I hope it opens back up.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 1:35 PM

It looks like the restaurant in the ALT Hotel is open - Terre Restaurant: https://www.terrerestaurant.com/#hello I drove by a few nights ago and there were people in there, so I don't know if it was just a soft opening or if it's fully opened now. I'd be interested to see the menu though.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 11:43 AM

Gingergrass Thai and Vietnamese, located in Mix, reported that they opened yesterday.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:54 AM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Seems there's a part 2?

Danny Breen was in the media saying, " the City didn't close down The Dockyard, the NLC did", but ...

https://vocm.com/2019/07/31/8608/

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 10:01 AM

FYI, Gingergrass opened in the Mix building this week.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:56 PM

Does anyone know the reason why East Side Mario's isn't going ahead in Paradise now?

As far as I know I thought they had most of the inside done.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel Run View Post
Does anyone know the reason why East Side Mario's isn't going ahead in Paradise now?

According to a friend of mine who is connected to the construction industry, the developer was presented with an offer from DewCore to set up over there, although it may not be under the East Side Mario's banner. Apparently DewCore is courting developers in other areas of the city in order to build up Galway, as they recognize that there is a limit to new business. Therefore, their strategy is to not only attract new businesses to the city, but to continue to convince companies to relocate to Galway. Not sure how true this is but apparently this is what is going on. Danny is a pretty sharp businessman so he is going to do whatever he can to ensure his Galway succeeds; can't blame him I guess (although I do not agree with this predatory approach).

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel Run View Post

I’ve heard that one of the partners pulled out. Despite its size, I’ve heard that Paradise is a difficult market for businesses.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
According to a friend of mine who is connected to the construction industry, the developer was presented with an offer from DewCore to set up over there, although it may not be under the East Side Mario's banner. Apparently DewCore is courting developers in other areas of the city in order to build up Galway, as they recognize that there is a limit to new business. Therefore, their strategy is to not only attract new businesses to the city, but to continue to convince companies to relocate to Galway. Not sure how true this is but apparently this is what is going on. Danny is a pretty sharp businessman so he is going to do whatever he can to ensure his Galway succeeds; can't blame him I guess (although I do not agree with this predatory approach).
Honestly this wouldn't surprise me. How many areas have to see a downturn so Danny can get his vanity development? Although honestly East Side Marios is a Cara restaurant and the city is full of them.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:56 PM

Milestones on Hebron Way is closed. Signs are taken down and a sign on the door says they are permanently closed.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Milestones on Hebron Way is closed. Signs are taken down and a sign on the door says they are permanently closed.
That place died a slow death. Seems like it never did take off.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:20 PM

Is it Quesada across the way from them ? They're probably not going to make it much longer either, and to be honest I can't see Cora's surviving much longer in that location either.

It is generally a terrible location - hidden from the main road, no traffic flow, no households, no hotel to draw from . Not surprised Milestones bombed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's