HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:01 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Looks like 1221 Broadway is going to be called 12WELVE 2WENTY1.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 8:18 PM

From bizjournal.com
story is about Alamodome, but it has to do with the transformation of the Municipal Auditorium into a performing arts center.

Quote:
The City of San Antonio will transfer control of the downtown Municipal Auditorium to the Bexar County Performing Arts Center Foundation as soon as late next year. The private nonprofit will own and operate the historic structure and plans to transform the 4,800-seat venue into a new performing arts center.

That transition will leave the Alamo City without a mid-sized indoor concert venue. But officials with the City of San Antonio are working now to try and sell promoters on a smaller Alamodome seating plan in hopes of retaining and growing that mid-sized concert business.

read more....
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 2:03 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Looks like 1221 Broadway is going to be called 12WELVE 2WENTY1.
Twelve-welve-two-wenty-one.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 8:02 AM

Is this project waiting on the new public safety HQ? It will include the adjacent fire HQ once the new one opens.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Is this project waiting on the new public safety HQ? It will include the adjacent fire HQ once the new one opens.
I believe there are 2 "old" Fire HQ's. The older one is across from Municipal Auditorium and is no longer used. The soon-to-be old one, the current one, is across from The Bonham Exchange, where the new 6 story Marriott is set to be built. The trucks will move to Cherry St. and the HQ's will move into the new public safety HQ's.
So I think this project is just waiting on funding. I'll find the article.

Here it is:

Quote:
September 25, 2009

The Bexar County Performing Arts Center Foundation has been charged with securing the rest of the funds necessary to construct the new center — $35 million in non-taxpayer money.

Smith says $10 million of that $35 million will be used to create an endowment for the center. He says AT&T Inc. has already pledged $5 million toward the total amount needed.

“What remains is that $30 million delta,” Smith explains. “And because of the recession, we decided it was not a good time to go out and start asking people to write checks.”

The risk of making the ask now: Smaller checks.

Smith says, depending on market conditions, the Bexar County Performing Arts Center Foundation could exit its quiet period and launch a full-blown fund-raising campaign late this year or in early 2010, when potential donors are in a more charitable mood.

Fortunately, Smith explains, some significant funding is already in place, courtesy of taxpayers and AT&T Inc. He expects that construction crews can begin work on the auditorium by June 2011. His goal is to open the doors to the new center by September 2013.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 4:20 PM

Contractors announced for Municipal Auditorium project

photo from
.com

Quote:
Contractors announced for Municipal Auditorium project
from mysa.com
By Jason Buch - Express-News

Zachry Construction Corp. will work with Houston-based Linbeck Group to lead construction and renovation efforts at the Municipal Auditorium, the Bexar County Performing Arts Center Foundation announced Wednesday.

The project will convert the underused auditorium, built in 1926, into a performing arts center that will serve as an event space and provides a venue for local arts organizations.

Choosing a construction team was the last great hurdle in the planning process, preceded by the selection of a project management firm and a design team, said J. Bruce Bugg Jr., chairman and president of the foundation. Bugg said 11 national construction companies partnered with local firms to bid for the project and the team of Zachry and Linbeck was chosen from a pool of four finalists.

“Now we have our construction team put in place, so we have all three of the key components to move this project forward, making the transition to a world-class performing arts center,” he said.

Zachry and Linbeck will be working with the design team of Marmon Mok Architecture and Seattle-based LMN Architects, and the project management firm is the Projects Group of Fort Worth.

The auditorium's shell will house a new performing arts center with a 1,850-seat performance hall and a rehearsal hall and will connect to the River Walk.

The building's roof will be demolished, but its façade will remain intact, he said.

“The iconic walls and the structure will remain intact. However, based on our current planning we will probably completely demolish the inside of the building,” Bugg said.

read complete article...
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 9:14 PM

Seems like such a long time from now. Here in Kansas City they're building a pretty amazing-looking PAC, and every time I drive past it I think about how awesome this one will look when its finished. I can't think of a better southern anchor for River North.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:18 PM

Odessa is building an 1,800 seat performing arts center. The $89 million facility will stand about 10 stories tall.

http://www.utpb.edu/administration/wnpac/

It is sad to see that Odessa will have a world class performing arts center built before San Antonio. It just helps to show how underdeveloped this city really is.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 12:16 AM

Well, the 2,400 seat Majestic Theater, built in 1929, has been the de facto performing arts center in San Antonio since 1988 when the city purchased it, so I don't think you can say San Antonio hasn't had a venue. Add to that the numerous other halls and auditoriums (like the Municipal, the Empire, Laurie, etc.) in the city and I don't think we've been outperformed by Odessa. That said, it will be nice to have something (almost) brand new and state-of-the-art.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:14 AM

If that rendering is a realistic guide, SA's PAC looks like it will be about 8-10 stories.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 4:51 PM

Not exactly part of Municipal Auditorium, but the parking structure at 700 N St. Marys (One Riverwalk) is getting (got concepetual approval, not final, from HDRC) an addtion that jumps the parking in the garage from 384 to 536 spaces. There is also a conceptual rendering of a plaza to adjoin the space along Navarro St to Municipal Auditorium/Performance Arts Center.
This concept was brought together by the owner of One Riverwalk, which need more parking for tenants, and the COSA in the need for more parking for the PAC. Case was submitted by Andres Andujar.
For those questioning the expansion site, they are proposing closing the tiny street (Hagner Arcade) that is there now.

cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Ghost dog, way of the samurai.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 2:48 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc..._97452889.html

I know its only one rendering of the back of the auditorium, but "what the hell, seriously?".

edit: Just saw the print version with the front rendering, and it looks better than the back I think.

Last edited by Keep-SA-Lame; Jun 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
Well, the 2,400 seat Majestic Theater, built in 1929, has been the de facto performing arts center in San Antonio since 1988 when the city purchased it, so I don't think you can say San Antonio hasn't had a venue. Add to that the numerous other halls and auditoriums (like the Municipal, the Empire, Laurie, etc.) in the city and I don't think we've been outperformed by Odessa. That said, it will be nice to have something (almost) brand new and state-of-the-art.
Right on...San Antonio has been in love with i'ts cultural venues since the 1920's and has more world class venues than some larger cities. How many U.S. cities have as many restored theatres that San Antonio has? Not many!! This will be a awesome upgrade and should spin off more development at River North. The Scottish Rite Temple is used for performing arts as well as the Lila Crockrell, Alameda Performing Arts Center and the Municipal. The Scottish Rite is pure opulence, one of my favorites. You won't find as many of these type of venues in Texas, except for S.A. Odessa what? Maybe the one in Russia!

Scotish Rite
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Jul 4, 2010 at 8:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 8:08 PM

Tobin Center

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:45 PM

I read the HDRC recommendation earlier today and it said denied; guess they changed the wording to say that they just don't suggest the changes:

Quote:
RECOMMENDATION:
The Municipal Auditorium is a local landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As a result,
the proposed partial demolition of the building would constitute a significant change that will adversely impact the
integrity of the historic structure itself. The proposal will impact every elevation and view of the structure. From
many angles the building will not continue to read as the historic Municipal Auditorium because of the change in the
scale, roof form and materials. While some alterations will be necessary to accommodate the program, every
effort should be made to be respectful of the historic building and its scale, material and setting.
From the HDRC Sept. 1st agenda:

cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 3:55 AM
JACKinBeantown

I agree with the HDRC recommendation. Work harder next time, architect.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 9:09 AM

Yea I had read the recommendations before also and it said they did not approve the changes. I guess they back down from that. After seeing how it will look I agree that the additions remove the unique qualities of Municipal Auditorium. It's as if they didn't even try to make it blend in with the portion on the auditorium that they are saving. It's in no way scaled to fit the building as it should. I hope changes are made. There was a report on CNN a couple of weeks ago about Austin turning an old structure into a new and impressive performing arts center. It loked amazing and I hope we can make something just as grand, if not better, than it. But from the renderings I see it's like taking a step back. Sure we get a new state of the art performing arts center but we lose the asthetics of this remarkable historic strucutre. I just wish they would have tried a little more on trying to at least make it seem like it fits seemlessly w/ the building rather than having it look like something just crashed into municipal auditorium.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 12:53 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Ya, because we wouldn't want interplay between historic 20s spanish revival work and a more modernist approach. That would be way too progressive and might actually (gasp!) create something that is artistically and architecturally interesting. It might actually (no!! noooo!!) allow San Antonio to gain recognition for being willing to allow the forms and materials of 2010 to dance alongside the prevailing beauty of 1920.

We wouldn't want our artistic beacon of the city to take any risks or make any striking, bold statement on the reinterpretation of a classic form...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
I read the HDRC recommendation earlier today and it said denied; guess they changed the wording to say that they just don't suggest the changes:

From the HDRC Sept. 1st agenda:

Anyone else think it kinda looks like the Predator?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio